Cal Griffith is a nationally recognized trial lawyer whom clients turn to for their most important intellectual property cases. He has tried multiple patent cases and other commercial disputes to juries and to the bench. As lead trial lawyer in patent cases, Cal has won jury verdicts that total more than $3 billion and obtained numerous defense verdicts.
Cal's practice involves a wide range of technologies for companies such as AbbVie, Canon, Eaton, General Electric, Goodyear, Johnson & Johnson, Merck, and Procter & Gamble.
Cal's intellectual property litigation experience includes numerous cases involving patents, trade secrets, and copyrights. He has litigated cases in district courts throughout the United States as well as the U.S. International Trade Commission. He has won jury trials and summary judgments for plaintiffs and defendants. His patent cases have involved diverse technologies, including software and systems, computer hardware, semiconductors, medical devices, consumer products, and biotechnologies.
Cal also represents clients in inter partes review proceedings at the USPTO. In addition to intellectual property matters, he has litigated in the areas of antitrust, unfair competition, and complex commercial litigation.
Supreme Court Says Good-Faith Belief in Patent Invalidity No Defense to a Charge of Inducing Infringement
ALERT: Fourteen Federal District Courts Selected for Pilot Project Designed to Enhance Patent Expertise
- May 2017The District of Delaware Announces New Procedures for Assigning Civil Cases
- March 2017Supreme Court Curbs Laches as a Defense in Patent Cases
- June 2016Supreme Court Upends Law of Treble Damages in Patent Cases
- May 2015Supreme Court Says Good-Faith Belief in Patent Invalidity No Defense to a Charge of Inducing Infringement
- April 2015Claim Construction, Findings of Fact, and Indefiniteness in the Wake of Teva v. Sandoz
- April 2015Federal Circuit Addresses Jurisdiction to Review Stay Orders in Covered Business Method Reviews
- January 2015Supreme Court Alters Appellate Review of Patent Claim Construction
- September 19, 2012US Litigation In The Wake Of The America Invents Act (English and Japanese)
- June 2011ALERT: Fourteen Federal District Courts Selected for Pilot Project Designed to Enhance Patent Expertise
- Winter 2008The Pitfalls of Failing to "Reasonably" Compensate Employee Inventors in Japan - IP Perspectives
- September 20, 2012AIPPI Seminar
- September 24, 1998Stark II Proposed Regulations, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Western Michigan Chapter
- November 1-3, 1995Physician Recruitment: The New Rules, 21st Annual Tax Issues in Nonprofit Health Care Organizations Seminar, National Health Lawyers Association
- The Ohio State University (J.D. 1987, Order of the Coif; B.S. in Molecular Genetics 1983)
- Ohio and registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Recognized as one of the country's leading intellectual property lawyers in Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Ohio Super Lawyers