Haifeng Huang is regularly called on to lead teams and advise clients on their complex disputes and intellectual property matters. He has a broad practice covering disputes and transactions involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition, antitrust, and technology licenses. The WTR 1000 described him as "one of the country's most seasoned litigators, with a history of representing large U.S. and Chinese concerns in high-stakes disputes."
Haifeng has advised clients on cases in all intellectual property courts, and other courts and agencies throughout China, as well as before multiple arbitration tribunals. These cases have involved a diverse range of industries, including software and systems, semiconductors, telecommunications, textiles, chemicals, optics, consumer products, heavy machinery, medical devices, and biotechnology.
He also handles due diligence related to the acquisition of intellectual property assets and negotiates agreements involving the transfer, use, and license of intellectual property, including R&D collaboration, confidentiality, consulting, outsourcing, cross-licensing, strategic alliance, patent pools, and information technology.
Haifeng's extensive experience has received significant recognition, including being named a "WIPR Leader" by World IP Review and selected as an "IP Star" by Managing Intellectual Property. He also was endorsed by peers as "a fabulous young partner in the patents sphere" and was extolled by clients for his "experience, wisdom and accessibility" in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017.
Qualcomm enforces patents against Chinese phone manufacturer and distributor
Jones Day represented Qualcomm Incorporated in the litigation of 17 cases in the Beijing and Shanghai Intellectual Property Courts against a Chinese phone manufacturer and distributor asserting patents concerning radio frequency transceivers, device structures, and other mobile phone technology.
Multinational company releases web and cloud-connected video camera to U.S. market
Jones Day is advising a multinational video surveillance company related to its U.S. release of an internet-connected audio/video recording device and associated cloud storage service.
High Road Capital acquires York Wallcoverings
Jones Day advised High Road Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition and related financing of York Wallcoverings Inc., a manufacturer of wallpaper, borders, murals, and RoomMates peel-and-stick removable and reusable wall decals.
Riverside completes sale of Baby Jogger Holdings to Newell Rubbermaid
Jones Day represented The Riverside Company in connection with its sale of Baby Jogger Holdings, Inc., a leading designer and marketer of branded infant and juvenile products focused on premium and activity strollers and related accessories, to Newell Rubbermaid, a worldwide marketer of consumer and commercial products with a portfolio of well-known brands.
Lesso America defends use of LESSO trademark
China Lesso Group Holdings Limited/Lesso America retained Jones Day to defend it against claims of trademark infringement brought by Lasco Fittings in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Australian heavy engineering equipment manufacturer pursues patent invalidation
Jones Day is conducting patent analysis and due diligence and invalidating five Chinese patents hijacked from Australian heavy engineering equipment manufacturer.
European multinational pharmaceutical company collaborates on research in China
Jones Day devised the contractual and IP structure for ensuring full protection of inventions and know-how developed by a Multinational Pharmaceutical company during the course of pharmaceutical and biotech research collaborations with universities and research institutes in China.
Multinational engineering equipment company prevails in CIETAC arbitration on technology license in China
Jones Day successfully completed a technology license arbitration case in China for a multinational heavy engineering equipment company.
U.S.-based global supplier of metal semifinished products seeks counseling regarding trade secret misappropriation
Jones Day advises a U.S.-based global supplier of metal semifinished products on a case of potential trade secret misappropriation.
U.S.-based sports equipment company prevails in trademark infringement case before Beijing High Court
Jones Day won a landmark case at Beijing High Court on behalf of a U.S.-based multinational sports equipment company regarding the piracy of their trademark, an infringement that threatened the company's expansion into China.
UK based multinational valve company obtains landmark ruling in criminal prosecution for counterfeiting in China
Jones Day obtained a judgment in favor of our client, a UK-based multinational valve and controls company, in an infringement action over the counterfeiting of our client's products.
International pump manufacturer rattles counterfeit industry with raids on trade secret infringers in China and Australia
In spite of IP crimes having always been low on the priority list of the Chinese security forces despite many years of continuous lobbying, Jones Day successfully lobbied both the Australian and Chinese governments resulting in the Chinese security forces conducting raids against a large group of trade secret infringers (viz. seven factories and around 40 wholesalers and retailers) in China, seizing products, molds, drawings, computers and books and accounts, and incarcerating a major culprit, resulting in factory and shop closures, sending shock-waves throughout the counterfeit industry.
China's New Cybersecurity Law and Draft Data Localization Measures Expected to Burden Multinational Companies
- February 2011Discourse and Practice of Intellectual Property: A History of Copyrights, Patents and Trademarks, Chinese, HUST Press
- 2010Construction and Application of United Nations Convention on Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards - Global Cases, co-author, 1 A.L.R. International 1
- November 2009A Global Guide to Protecting Copyright: China, Managing Intellectual Property
- 2009Legalizing Parallel Import in China, PharmAsia News, February 9, 2009
- Decembe 6, 2017Shenzhen Patent Association U.S. Patent Law Seminar: Patent Exhaustion - Impression Products v. Lexmark; Inter Partes Review - SAS and Oil States; Patent Venue - TC Heartland
- December 4, 2017Hangzhou High-tech Zone (Riverside) Intellectual Property Training Base, Internet of Things Industry Intellectual Property Alliance, and the National Intellectual Property Training (Zhejiang) Base - U.S. Patent Law Seminar: Patent Exhaustion - Impression Products v. Lexmark; Inter Partes Review - SAS and Oil States; Patent Venue - TC Heartland
- May 16, 2012Demystifying Well-known Mark Recognition in China
- April 13, 2012Strategies of Defending Trade Secret Lawsuits in China and the US
- February 13, 2012Ten Common Mistakes to Avoid while Protecting Your IP Rights in China
- September 21, 2011Managing Intellectual Property in China - Realities and Pitfalls
- September 9, 2011Arbitration Clauses in Commercial Agreements - Do you know what you're signing up to?
- April 16, 2011Walking on Eggshells: Dealing with IP and Regulatory Issues in China
- April 6, 2011IP Due Diligence
- November 23, 2010Technology Transfer in China
- November 22, 2010Protecting Your Brands in China: Challenges and Opportunities
- April 25, 2008Regulatory Roadmap for Pharmaceutical Innovations in China
- Harvard University (LL.M. 2003); Renmin University of China (LL.D. 2006; LL.M. 2001; LL.B. 1998; Founding Editor, Law Review; Executive Editor, Chinese Intellectual Property Review)
- New York
2016-2017 Global Fellow, Federal Circuit Bar Association
Regularly recommended in Chambers Asia-Pacific and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for intellectual property
IAM Patent (2016): "Carved a niche on the Chinese litigation scene, routinely appearing in must-win infringement and invalidation battles"
Managing Intellectual Property (2015): "Consistently delivered favorable results ... his guidance is practical and strategic, and takes into account the nuances of the Chinese system"
- English, Mandarin