Rick Deane represents clients who are facing all types of criminal or civil investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and other investigative agencies. He has extensive experience in federal grand jury investigations, trying cases in state and federal courts, and appearing before the Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal. Rick recently served as lead counsel in defending criminal charges against a major design-build company. All charges against the company were dismissed, and the company paid a civil assessment. He also served as lead counsel in a month-long personal injury case tried in state court to a complete defense verdict. In addition, he handles general litigation matters.
Rick's representative clients include the Atlanta School Board, The Facilities Group, the Fulton County District Attorney's Office, The Public Warehousing Company K.S.C., The Sherwin-Williams Company, and numerous others.
Rick is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and serves as a member of the Board of Regents for the College. He was recently chosen by the State Bar of Georgia's bench and bar committee as the attorney recipient of the 12th Annual Chief Justice Thomas O. Marshall Professionalism Award. The award honors "one lawyer and one judge who have demonstrated the highest professional conduct and paramount reputation for professionals." In addition, he received the Atlanta Bar Association's Leadership Award in 2016 and the "Thomas J. Waldrop Truth & Justice Award" in recognition of his representation of Atlanta School Superintendent, Dr. Beverly Hall, during the Atlanta cheating scandal. Rick is also a past president of the National Association of Former United States Attorneys (NAFUSA).
Former CEO defends federal criminal investigation involving allegations of potential violations of Anti-Kickback statute
Jones Day is representing a former CEO in a federal criminal investigation involving allegations of potential violations of the Anti-Kickback statute.
Physician-owned Ambulatory Surgery Center issued favorable reconsideration decision in Medicare overpayment appeal
Jones Day represented a physician-owned Ambulatory Surgery Center ("ASC") in a recent appeal on claims wherein C2C Innovative Solutions Medical Center, a Medicare contractor, returned a favorable reconsideration decision for the ASC.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation of Asia operations
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) in China, Vietnam, and Singapore.
Global retailer seeks advice on anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance policies and procedures
On behalf of a global, publicly-traded retailer, Jones Day conducted a review of the company’s anti-corruption and anti-bribery policies and procedures, to include the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and the U.K. Bribery Act.
CEO of industrial services company defends federal criminal public corruption investigation
Jones Day is representing the chief executive officer of an industrial services company in a federal criminal public corruption investigation involving state public works contracts.
Former CFO of multinational corporation defends DOJ and SEC investigation involving allegations of potential FCPA violations
Jones Day represents the former chief financial officer of a multinational corporation in a Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigation involving allegations of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Cardinal Health obtains dismissal of suit alleging pharmaceutical companies contributed to "epidemic of prescription drug abuse"
Jones Day client Cardinal Health, Inc. obtained dismissal of a lawsuit filed by Fulton County, Georgia that alleged Cardinal Health and other pharmaceutical distribution companies were to blame for a growing prescription-drug epidemic.
Former Atlanta School Superintendent Beverly Hall defends allegations of cheating on standardized tests
Jones Day represented former Atlanta School Superintendent Beverly Hall in connection with allegations of cheating on standardized tests by school system personnel.
Multinational corporation conducts pre-acquisition due diligence of target company subject to federal grand jury investigation
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted pre-acquisition due diligence of a target company subject to a federal grand jury investigation related to potential violations of the Controlled Substances Act.
Multinational industrial services corporation involved in state public corruption investigation related to government services contracts
Jones Day represented a publicly traded multinational industrial services corporation in a state public corruption investigation related to government services contracts.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation of Brazil operation
Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in a multinational corporation’s Brazilian operation.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation related to fatal worksite employee accident
On behalf of a publicly traded global corporation, Jones Day conducted an internal investigation into a fatal worksite employee accident, specifically focused on employee statements and company reports that had been provided to investigating government agencies.
Multinational equipment manufacturer conducts internal investigation of possible FCPA violations in Mexico operations
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational equipment manufacturer, Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in Mexico.
Multinational corporation conducts global FCPA compliance review
On behalf of a publicly traded, multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted a targeted global Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance review of the corporation's operations in Brazil, China, India, South Korea, and Uzbekistan.
Health care services company wins partial summary judgment in commercial dispute
Jones Day represented a health care services company in a commercial dispute over invoices with a former freight, pay, and audit service provider.
Major university undergoes internal investigation involving graduate business school student selectivity data
As publicly reported, Jones Day conducted an independent investigation into the external misreporting of certain graduate business school student selectivity data by a major University.
Health care provider defends federal health care fraud investigation
Jones Day represents a health care provider subject to a federal health care fraud investigation alleging improper Medicare and Medicaid billings.
Major university undergoes internal investigation involving undergraduate student selectivity data
As publicly reported, Jones Day conducted an independent investigation into the external misreporting of certain undergraduate student selectivity data by a major university.
Jones Day advises the government of the Seychelles how to amend its penal code to support prosecution of pirate financiers
A team of Jones Day lawyers researched and drafted a legal memorandum to provide recommendations to the Seychellois government as to how to amend the Seychelles Penal Code to support the prosecution of financiers of piracy who reside outside the Seychelles.
Jones Day obtains reversal and remand for civil detainee in Fourth Amendment case
A team from Jones Day Atlanta including Rick Deane, Rob Schmoll, Garrett Bradford and Hillary Keith prevailed in the Eleventh Circuit on behalf of a civil detainee held by the State of Florida pursuant to that state's Jimmy Ryce Act.
Department of Justice FCPA Pilot Program Outlines Incentives for Corporate Self-Disclosure and Cooperation: What's New and Will It Matter?
U.S. Department of Justice Announces Updated Guidelines on Individual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing
Revisiting My Brother's Keeper: Latest Learning and Best Practices on Dealings with Third Parties under the FCPA
- November 2017DOJ's New FCPA Enforcement Policy Continues its "Carrot-and-Stick" Approach
- February 2017Department of Justice Fraud Section Provides Guidance on Evaluating Corporate Compliance Programs
- April 2016Department of Justice FCPA Pilot Program Outlines Incentives for Corporate Self-Disclosure and Cooperation: What's New and Will It Matter?
- January 2016FCPA 2015 Year In Review
- September 2015U.S. Department of Justice Announces Updated Guidelines on Individual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing
- March 2015Revisiting My Brother's Keeper: Latest Learning and Best Practices on Dealings with Third Parties under the FCPA
- February 2015FCPA Year in Review: 2014
- January 2015Expecting the Unexpected: How to Prepare for, Respond to, and Survive a Search Warrant
- October 2014OIG Seeks Comment on Recently Published Proposed Rule Expanding Anti-Kickback Safe Harbors
- May 2014Federal Appellate Court Rules that the FCPA Prohibits Corrupt Payments to Certain Foreign Government-Owned Businesses
- April 2014Internal Investigations: Keys to Preparing an Effective Budget
- Agosto 2013A Lei Anticorrupção Empresarial Brasileira - Novos Riscos para Empresas que Operam no Brasil
- August 2013Brazil's Clean Company Law: New Risks for Companies Doing Business in Brazil
- July 2013Best Practices to Avoid Misreporting University Data to External Sources
- July 2013False Claims Act Recent Developments
- March 2013District Court Rules FCPA Jurisdiction Has Limits
- January 2013Corporate Internal Investigations: Best Practices, Pitfalls to Avoid
- December 2012DOJ/SEC's Resource Guide to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Jones Day Summary and Analysis
- July 2012Georgia's New False Claims Act Part II: How This New Act May Apply To You
- May 2012FCPA and International Anticorruption Enforcement
- May 2012Georgia's New False Claims Act: It's Not Just For Health Care Anymore
- May 2012The Other Half of False Claims Liability: State False Claims Acts
- February 2012CMS Publishes Long-Awaited 60-Day Repayment Proposed Rule for Identified Overpayments
- April 2011Criminal Actions Against Failed Bank Executives
- April 2011Health Care Compliance and Enforcement Update
- March 2006The Legal Obligation to Maintain Accurate Books and Records in U.S. and Non-U.S. Operations
- February 13, 2017Advanced Issues in Internal Investigations, Jones Day CLE Academy
- December 12, 2013Health Care Fraud, Don't Spiral Out of Control: How to Effectively Address Problems Through Internal Investigations
- June 6, 2013International Business and Crimes FCPA
- June 4, 2013Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics's 11th Annual Higher Education Compliance Conference
- March 20, 2013Georgia's New 2012 False Claims Act and Update on Qui Tam, SEC, and IRS Whistleblower Claims
- December 13, 2012Health Care Fraud Institute, State Bar of Georgia Conference
- April 25, 2012International Business and Crime, FCPA, Criminal Antitrust
- February 3, 2012Discussion on Government Investigations, Atlanta Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- March 2, 2011Corporate Compliance: Recent Developments and Trends
- January 28, 2011White Collar Crime, Grand Jury Practice: Avoiding Missteps That Could Endanger The Client
- December 16, 2010Southeastern Health Care Fraud Institute: Affirmative Responses to Government Action
- October 15, 2010Sentencing in the Eleventh Circuit-In Search of a Reasonable Sentence
- October 6, 2010Corporate Internal Investigations: Delivering the News
- September 29, 201018th Annual Diversity CLE and Luncheon
- September 2, 2010Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA): International Business and Crime - An Overview, Institute of Continuing Legal Education of Georgia
- March 19, 2008Designing The Investigation: Personnel, Scope and Audiences
- March 30, 2007The Role of the Board, panelist, Corporate Compliance and Ethics Institute, Practicing Law Institute
- March 29-30, 2007Director Liability/Responsibility
- April 2006Corporate Compliance Institute 2006
- September 22, 2005Challenges to Ethics and Professionalism in White Collar Criminal Cases, White Collar Crime Seminar
- February 25, 2005Prosecutional Ethics, State-wide U.S. Attorney's Conference, meeting of all districts in the state
- University of Michigan (LL.M. 1979); The University of Georgia (J.D. 1977; Earl Warren Scholar; B.A. cum laude 1974)
- U.S. Attorney, Northern District of Georgia (1998-2001); Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia (1994-1998); and Chief of the Criminal Division (1990-1994), Chief of the General Crimes Section (1986-1990), and Assistant U.S. Attorney (1980-1986), Northern District of Georgia, United States Department of Justice
Georgia "Commercial Litigation Department of the Year" Winner (April 2014); "General Litigation Department of the Year" (April 2013), The Daily Report
Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2016)
Named by Time Magazine (2001) to "Time 100 List of Innovators" featured in the Georgia edition of Super Lawyers magazine
Listed in Chambers USA Band 1, litigation: white collar defense and Georgia Trend magazine's "Legal Elite"