Andy Luger, a former U.S. Attorney in Minnesota who oversaw the largest terrorism prosecution in the country, has formidable experience in the government and private practice sectors. He developed a nationally recognized program to counter violent extremism and created successful initiatives to combat sex trafficking and gang activity in Minnesota. He also has tried dozens of criminal and civil cases to juries in state and federal courts in Minnesota and New York.
At Jones Day, Andy represents local and global companies on investigations and civil litigation in Minnesota, across the United States, and throughout Europe and the Middle East. He is one of the leaders of the Firm's national hate crimes and extremism initiative.
While serving as United States Attorney, Andy oversaw the investigation and prosecution of Danny Heinrich for the murder of 11 year-old Jacob Wetterling, 27 years after his disappearance. He also oversaw large-scale white collar crime cases, including the prosecution of two lawyers for devising a national copyright lawsuit scam that defrauded courts around the country, as well as multimillion dollar corporate embezzlements and trade secret cases. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of New York and the District of Minnesota, he prosecuted a $150 million national low income housing fraud, a $30 million rare coin scam, and a $750 million money laundering case against the National Mortgage Bank of Greece.
Andy currently serves on the board of directors for The Fund for Legal Aid, which provides resources for free legal assistance to Minnesota's neediest residents.
Healthcare company conducts internal investigation into allegations of corruption
Jones Day is representing a healthcare company in an internal investigation into allegations of corruption in Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Asia and related DOJ and SEC investigations.
Manufacturing company obtains settlement in accounting discrepancy dispute
Jones Day represented a manufacturing company in a dispute against the former owner of a small manufacturing company that it acquired.
Trust benefiting former ProtaTek shareholders resolves breach of contract claims against Pharmgate
Jones Day client Liquidating Trust of Shareholders of ProtaTek International resolved a breach of contract action against Pharmgate LLC, the purchaser of ProtaTek.
- November 2017DOJ's New FCPA Enforcement Policy Continues its "Carrot-and-Stick" Approach
- December 7, 2018Keynote Speaker at the 2018 Distinguished Service Awards, Anti-Defamation League
- September 6, 2018Leadership Within the Community: A Lawyer's Role, sponsored by the Federal Bar Association and the University of St. Thomas School of Law
- April 26, 2018A View from Criminal Justice Partners, International Counter-Terrorism Conference sponsored by the New York Police Department and Leadership in Counter Terrorism Alumni Association
- April 6, 2018A Conversation on Bias and Juries, sponsored by the Diversity Committee of the Federal Bar Association-Minnesota Chapter and the Federal Bar Association-University of Minnesota Law School Chapter
- October 27, 2017Sex Trafficking: Addressing a Global Issue in our Backyard, University of St. Thomas Journal of Law and Public Policy
- October 17, 2017Civil Discourse in the Face of Extremism and Hate, presented by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and PNC in partnership with the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- October 12, 2017Economic Espionage & National Security: Bias in the Criminal Justice System, sponsored by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Jones Day, and 3M
- October 3, 2017The Minnesota Experience, Disruption and Early Engagement Project (DEEP) Working Group for the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of New York
- August 23, 2017Not Your Usual Cases: Special Challenges of High-Profile Cases, 52nd Annual Criminal Justice Institute CLE
- August 2017Changing the Game: Preventing Terror Recruiting In Minnesota, Minnesota Supreme Court Clerk Reunion
- June 20, 2017Current Issues in Internal and Government Investigations: What Companies Should Know
- Georgetown University (J.D. magna cum laude 1985; Notes and Comments Editor, Georgetown Law Journal); Amherst College (B.A. summa cum laude 1981; Phi Beta Kappa)
- Minnesota, New York, U.S. District Courts for the District of Minnesota and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States Attorney, District of Minnesota (2014-2017); Assistant U.S. Attorney, Minnesota (1992-1995); Assistant U.S. Attorney, Eastern District of New York (1989-1992)
Recipient of Minnesota County Attorneys Association's Meritorious Service Award (December 6, 2018)
Recipient of Hennepin County Attorney's Office Lifetime Public Leadership Award (October 25, 2017)
Recipient of 2017 Diversity & Inclusion Award by Minnesota Lawyer (October 12, 2017)