Lisa Han focuses her practice on transactional and regulatory matters for health care and insurance clients, including complex managed care contract negotiations, value-based purchasing, and regulatory compliance issues. Her experience includes mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and formation of insurance companies and managed care plans; payor and provider joint venture or allowance; negotiation of TPA, PBM, and other vendor agreements; insurance holding company system transactions; participation in Medicare Advantage and Medicaid managed care programs; organization of accountable care organizations (ACOs), clinically integrated networks, and other types of provider organizations; value-based payment reform and shared savings programs; and compliance with the Affordable Care Act. Lisa also regularly advises hospitals, physicians, and other providers on strategic alliances, product and network issues, prompt payment compliance, and audits and recovery.
In addition, Lisa advises U.S. health systems' international activities, such as joint ventures in hospitals in China, international consulting, hospital management services, and other international medical tourism activities.
Lisa is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Health Lawyers Association and the Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys. She also is a member of the Health Law and International Law Sections of the American Bar Association and the Health Care Law Committees of the Columbus Bar Association and the Ohio State Bar Association.
Lisa has been a frequent speaker and author on health insurance and health care topics at numerous industry conferences and publications.
The following represents experience acquired prior to joining Jones Day.
Represented Inova Health System in negotiating a joint venture transaction with Aetna, a publicly traded insurer, for purposes of setting up jointly owned regional managed care plans and a clinically integrated delivery network.
Represented major health systems in establishing provider-owned health plans for self-funded and fully insured market, including applying for a Certificate of Authority and insurance license.
Represented health insurance clients on offering qualified health plans for health insurance exchange.
Advised employers and employer organizations on implications of employee health plan under Affordable Care Act, essential health benefits, employer mandate, and compliance strategies.
Advised clients on a variety of issues under health care reform including formation of patient centered medical homes and Accountable Care Organizations (ACO), regulatory concerns arising from these new models, and impact of exchange on providers and health plans.
Provided counsel on formation and operation of integrated delivery systems consisting of multiple hospitals, major physician groups, and other health care providers.
Represented provider-owned or affiliated health plans on a wide variety of corporate, operational, and regulatory issues, ranging from structuring financing arrangements among providers and affiliated payers (e.g., revolving loan), establishing management services and other shared services organizations, to advising on Anti-Kickback, Stark, and antitrust issues.
Provided counsel in the acquisition, sale, restructuring, and expansion of managed care plans and approvals from federal and state regulatory authorities.
Provided counsel on formation and operation of life and health, property and casualty insurance companies, and various types of managed care plans such as PPOs, HMOs, and rental and fronting arrangements.
Provided legislative support and expert witness testimony on a variety of provider/payer issues including mandated benefits, credentialing, rental network, and most-favored nation provisions.
Advised clients on programs with federal and state governments such as Medicare Advantage/Prescription Drug Programs, Medicaid managed care plans, and federal employee health care programs.
Provided counsel in negotiating major reimbursement agreements between providers and payers and in the successful resolution of disputes over audits and recovery.
Provided counsel on the formation of health insurance purchasing groups including health insurance alliances and co-ops.
CMS Makes Changes to the Stark Law: Addressing Payment Reform, Reducing Burden, and Facilitating Compliance
- December 4, 2018Jones Day CLE Academy: Year-End Review: The Latest Trends and Issues in Health Care
- December 5, 2017ABA Health Law Summit - Understanding Alternative Payment Models and Related Regulatory Issues
- September 25-28, 2016Medical Tourism & Global Healthcare Congress - A Look at the Recent Health Care Reform Policies in China and Impact on Foreign Direct Investment in China Health Care Sector
- July 28, 2016Northeast Ohio Healthcare Financial Management Association - Payer, Provider Relations Payer Provider Convergence; Understanding Trends and Transaction Structures
- June 28-30, 2016Promotion of Hainan Medical Tourism - Comparison With US Health Care System -- World Medical Tourism Congress 2016
- June 22, 2016Overview of Wellness Programs and the New EEOC Rules
- April 20, 2016Opportunities in China's Emerging Healthcare Market Webcast
- March 15, 20162016 Congress on Healthcare Leadership How to Put Clinically Integrated Networks to Work in an Era of Value Based Reimbursement
- November 11, 2015AICPA Healthcare Industry Conference Payor Provider Joint Ventures -- Understanding Structure and Valuation Issues
- October 16, 2015ASA HSIG Conference Healthcare Reimbursement in an Era of Reform
- September 25, 2015Provider/Health Plan Arrangements & Contracting Based Upon Clinically Integrated Networks and ACOs
- July 30, 2015Payor & Provider: Convergence: Emerging Trends in Healthcare - Jones Day CLE Seminar
- June 27-July 1, 2015Clinically Integrated Networks and New Managed Care Strategies AHLA Annual Meeting
- May 20, 2015Opportunities and Legal Issues in Health Care Investment in China and US
- May 14, 2015An Overview of International Health Care Market - Opportunities and Strategic Growth in China, Telemedicine and Medical Tourism
- March 9, 2015Clinically Integrated Networks and Bundled Payments: Strategies for Public Hospitals and Health Systems
- March 5, 2015Carolinas Healthcare System Office of General Counsel Legal Summit
- December 9, 2014Key Health Law Issues for Non-Healthcare Lawyers, Jones Day CLE Academy
- August 21, 2014Legal Considerations in Benefit Design, Wellness Program, and Employee Population Health
- August 12, 2014Greater Cincinnati Association of Health Underwriters Narrow Provider Networks
- May 13, 2014PPACA's Narrow Provider Networks
- November 3-6, 2013Making Sense of the New Employer Insurance Market
- December 5-7, 2011AHLA Payors, Providers and Managed Care Program Reimbursement Models
- The Ohio State University (J.D. 1993); University of Pennsylvania (LL.M. 1988); National Chengchi University (LL.B. 1985)
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 2003
Listed in The Best Lawyers in Columbus in health and insurance law
Listed in Ohio Super Lawyers, including being named to "Top 25 Women in Columbus" in 2010
2015 Columbus CEO "Top Lawyers"
2016 National Diversity Council "Most Powerful & Influential Woman" Award
Acritas "Star Lawyer" (2019)
Listed in Legal 500 US for healthcare: health insurers
- Chinese (Mandarin, also known as Putonghua)