Zac Sharpe focuses on international disputes resolution with an emphasis on international arbitration and cross-border disputes arising out of major capital projects and investments. He has advised across a range of industries, including oil & gas, mining, infrastructure, engineering and construction, shipping, manufacturing, and trade.
Zac's experience includes arbitration proceedings in major arbitration centers around the globe (London, Geneva, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Seoul) and under various arbitration rules and procedures, including ICC, LCIA, ICSID, LMAA, SIAC, HKIAC, and ad hoc proceedings in a number of jurisdictions. He has significant experience in disputes arising out of oil & gas, mining, infrastructure, shipbuilding, and offshore construction projects across Asia, Europe, Australia, and in the Middle East. Zac also advises clients on investor-state claims arising under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
Prior to joining Jones Day, Zac was a senior corporate counsel at Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, Korea, where he managed claims and disputes arising out of the engineering, procurement, and construction of vessels, offshore rigs, and platforms. His experience covers a range of shipbuilding and offshore projects, including major FPSO and FLNG projects, floating storage and regasification units (FSRUs), drilling rigs and platforms, and a variety of commercial vessels (container ships, tankers, LNG carriers, and specialized offshore service vessels).
Zac is regularly invited to speak at international arbitration and construction conferences. He is a member of several arbitration associations, including the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Council for International Arbitration at the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board.
He has been recognized by Who's Who Legal: Arbitration — Future Leaders.
- March 2018
FIDIC’s Rainbow Suite of Contracts, OCAJI
- March 20, 2018Masterclass on the use of experts in International Arbitration - Cross examination experts
- October 6, 2017NUS Law School Talk
- September 9, 2017ICC India Arbitration Conference
- June 7, 20173rd Annual GAR Live Singapore
- November 8 - 11, 2016Indonesia Infrastructure Week 2016
- March 7, 2016LCIA Arbitration Seminar - Shipbuilding Disputes
- September 2, 2015Society of Construction Law "Focus on Asia" Construction Law Conference - Risk Allocation Trends and Approaches
- May 25-27, 2015ICC Asia Regional Conference on International Arbitration - The Role of In-house Counsel in Arbitration Proceedings
- October 17, 20141st Annual Japan International Arbitration Summit - Managing an Effective Arbitration
- July 23, 2014ALB International Arbitration Conference - Practical Guide to Dispute Settlement under Investment Treaties
- May 21, 2014International Chamber of Commerce, YAF Conference - The Changing Landscape of International Arbitration in Asia
- February 25, 20142nd Annual Dubai International Arbitration Summit - Choosing External Arbitrators and the Effective Resolution of Disputes
- November 7, 20132nd Annual Korea International Arbitration Summit - Dispute Management and Workflow: The In-House Counsel Perspective
- The George Washington University (J.D. with honors 2007; Best Oralist, Honorable Mention, 13th Annual Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot); University of Washington (B.A. in Political Science and B.A. in English 2003; Certificate of High Scholarship; Dean's List)
- New York; Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales; Registered Foreign Lawyer (Singapore)