Joan McKown has more than 30 years of experience in Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement and financial regulatory matters including investigations, exams, internal investigations, and disputes throughout the United States. She has in-depth knowledge of investigatory issues relating to financial fraud, corporate disclosure, corporate governance, accounting, compliance, private equity, FCPA, broker dealer, investment adviser, investment companies, and insider trading. Joan represents corporations, and financial services firms, and their officers, directors, and employees, counseling them to avoid regulatory scrutiny, and when necessary, resolving matters on the best terms possible.
Prior to joining Jones Day in 2010, Joan was the longest serving chief counsel in the Division of Enforcement at the SEC, where she played a key role in establishing enforcement policies and worked closely with Commission and senior SEC staff. Joan literally wrote the book on SEC enforcement when she oversaw creation of the first version of the SEC Enforcement Manual. As chief counsel, she led hundreds of Wells meetings and settlement negotiations. At Jones Day, Joan has extensive experience submitting persuasive Wells submissions, having reviewed thousands of such submissions while on the SEC staff.
Joan is the president-elect of the board of trustees of the SEC Historical Society. She also serves on the Executive Committee of the board of trustees of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia. She frequently speaks and writes on SEC enforcement related topics.
CFO of real estate investment funds obtains settlement with SEC
Jones Day represented a CFO of real estate investment funds and partnerships throughout the course of an extensive SEC investigation.
Private equity adviser successfully resolves securities fraud claims by SEC after Wells Submission
Jones Day represented a private equity advisor in an SEC investigation related to fee disclosures.
comScore achieves successful settlement agreement with Starboard Value LP
Jones Day advised comScore, Inc. in its successful settlement agreement with Starboard Value LP.
Investment adviser official successfully resolves securities fraud claims by SEC after Wells Submission
Jones Day represented an investment adviser official in an SEC investigation relating to securities fraud claims.
Outside directors of Banc of California defend against series of derivative actions and related securities class action
Jones Day is representing certain outside directors of the Banc of California, Inc. (NYSE: BANC), headquartered in Orange County, California, in connection with derivative actions and a related securities class action arising out of an internal investigation completed in 2017.
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey obtains highly favorable settlement with SEC
Jones Day client The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey obtained a highly favorable settlement with the SEC in an investigation of the Port Authority's funding of $1.8 billion in New Jersey Roadway Projects.
Regional bank holding company obtains favorable settlement with SEC
Jones Day represented a regional bank holding company and its officers in an SEC investigation of books, records, and internal controls.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation of Asia operations
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) in China, Vietnam, and Singapore.
Global automotive parts company successfully defends potential adverse administrative action by federal government
Jones Day represented a leading automotive parts manufacturer in defending against possible potential adverse administrative action by the Department of Defense.
CEO of information technology company resolves SEC investigation
Jones Day represented the former CEO of an information technology company in a settlement to resolve allegations related to an SEC investigation of the company's financial disclosure.
Pro bono client wins in D.C. Superior Court Housing Conditions Court
Jones Day represented a Spanish-speaking plaintiff/tenant, Reina Ruiz, in D.C. Superior Court (the Housing Conditions Calendar) in an action to enforce the District of Columbia's housing code regulations.
Private equity adviser avoids securities fraud claims by SEC after Wells submission
Jones Day convinced the SEC to forgo securities fraud claims against a private equity adviser that provides mezzanine investing opportunities.
High volume trader represented in SEC investigation
Jones Day is representing a high volume trader in an SEC investigation of trading by that individual.
Management consulting company represented in SEC investigation
Jones Day is representing a management consulting company in an SEC investigation concerning the company's financial disclosures, books and records and internal controls.
PNC Bank obtains regulatory relief under Section 943 of The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
Jones Day represented PNC Bank, National Association in obtaining regulatory relief under Section 943 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
UN Procurement Reinstatement Ethics Professional for company seeking reinstatement
Joan McKown, supported by a team of Jones Day attorneys, served as the ethics and compliance professional doing internal review of company's code of ethics and implementation of the code and submission of a report to the UN procurement office regarding findings.
Senior official of gaming company represented in SEC investigation
Jones Day is representing the senior official of a gaming company in an SEC investigation of trading by the individual.
Tech company, CEO, and COO being represented in SEC investigation
Jones Day is representing a tech company and its CEO and COO in the Wells phase of an SEC investigation of the company's disclosures related to an offering and trading by the individuals.
Audit committee of an NYSE-listed Chinese software company involved in internal investigations
Jones Day represented the audit committee of an NYSE-listed Chinese software company to conduct an internal investigation and respond to SEC inquiries and the NYSE regarding allegations of accounting fraud and advised committee regarding related shareholder actions and D&O issues.
Chairman of public company represented in SEC investigation
Jones Day is representing the chairman of a public company in an SEC investigation of trading by that individual.
- July 2015Internal Investigations While the SEC Is Investigating in SEC Compliance and Enforcement Answer Book 2015, Practising Law Institute
- December 2012Insider Trading Enforcement: The SEC's Focus on Corporate Insiders, PLI's Course Handbook on Annual Disclosure Documents 2012
- March 12, 2012Unintended Consequences? Possible Fallout of District Courts' Scrutiny of SEC Settlements, Bloomberg Law Reports - Securities Law
- November 2011The SEC's Whistleblower Program & Its Effects on Hedge Funds, PLI’s Course Handbook on Hedge Fund Enforcement & Regulatory Developments 2011.
- September 2011Have the Securities Laws Been Over-criminalized, Bloomberg Law Reports
- August 26, 2011Securities Enforcement Has Crossed The Border: Regulatory Authorities Respond to the Financial Crisis with a Call for Greater International Cooperation, But Where Will That Lead?, U. Of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law
- January 2011Ex-SEC Official Looks At Current Securities Law Issues, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- June 26, 2012PLI's Internal Investigations 2012: How to Protect Your Clients or Companies -- Concluding the Investigation
- April 13, 2012The Perspective From the Defense, Rocky Mountain Securities Conference
- March 22, 2012Insider Trading Enforcement: Current Trends and Risk Mitigation, ABA Business Law Section Spring Meeting
- March 15, 2012Expert Roundtable on Today's Hot Compliance Topics, IA Compliance Best Practices Summit 2012
- December 8, 2011Avoiding SEC Problems, Jones Day Columbus CLE University
- October 28, 2011FCPA and the SEC- Version 2011, ABA-CLE The National Institute on the FCPA 2011
- September 21, 2011The Whistleblower Provisions: Is Your Company Ready?, Dow Jones Conferences
- August 26, 2011State Bar of Texas, Recent Developments in Securities Litigation and FCPA Enforcement
- July 29, 2011State Bar of Texas, Recent Developments in Securities Litigation and FCPA Enforcement
- June 27, 2011First Clearing Compliance Roundtable: SEC and Regulatory Reform: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
- May 31, 2011Insights - Advanced Mergers and Acquisitions Widening the Net: Insider Trading Review
- May 16, 2011Diane Rehm Show: The Crackdown on Insider Trading
- May 16, 2011Diane Rehm Show: The Crackdown on Insider Trading
- May 12, 2011SEC Enforcement Trends and Developments
- April 14, 2011Perspectives on SEC Enforcement Initiatives
- April 12, 2011Directors Roundtable Series: Practical Information and Discussion on Challenges Companies Face under the Dodd-Frank Act
- April 6, 2011ABA Section of International Law Whistleblowers: What Protections and Forms of Relief are Available for Foreign-based Employers
- March 30, 2011Investment Company Institute and Federal Bar Association Evolution of OCIE and Enforcement under Chairman Schapiro
- January 19, 2011Sandpiper Partners: SEC Hot Topics 2011
- December 15, 2010Executive Roundtable Series - A Year-End Legislative Roundup and Forecast
- December 10, 2010Risking It All, a behind-the-scenes look at a simulated internal investigation, panelist, PwC Tenth Annual Technical Update
- November 30, 2010Potential Effects on Public Companies of the Whistleblower Provisions of Dodd Frank and the SEC Cooperation Initiative, Washington D.C. Bar
- November 12, 2010Global Financial Architecture - Harmonizing Financial Reform Legislation: EU, Asia and US Proposals, Journal of Business Law Fall 2010 Symposium, University of Pennsylvania Law School
- November 3, 2010Investigations and Enforcement - New Processes and Technology Drive Priorities in 2011, RCA Asset Management Thought Leadership Symposium-
- October 24, 2010CFO Rising West: Director Boot Camp
- September 16, 2010Impact of Dodd-Frank on SEC Enforcement, New York City Bar
- Drake University (J.D. with honors 1983; Order of the Coif; Law Review); Vanderbilt University (B.A. 1980)
- District of Columbia
- Served with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (1986-2010) in various positions, including Branch Chief and Assistant Director before being named Chief Counsel of the Division of Enforcement in 1993
The Best Lawyers in America for securities regulation (2019)
Chambers USA — America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2019)
Named to Securities Docket's "Enforcement 40" (2017)
Named among Law360's "Most Influential Women in Securities Law"
Recipient of the SEC's Distinguished Service Award, which is the highest honor the agency bestows on an individual (2004)
- Law Clerk to Senior Judge J. Smith Henley, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (1984-1986)