Steven Fleming has been resolving commercial disputes for more than 20 years with a particular emphasis in the construction, energy, and resources sectors. He has extensive experience in contractual, regulatory, and cross-border disputes.
Steven has represented clients in proceedings before the superior courts of Australia and England, as well as domestic and international arbitrations (ICC, LCIA, and SIAC). His major cases include an ICC arbitration concerning EPC contracts for an oil pipeline in Africa, a contractual dispute concerning the design and construction of a walking beam furnace, and acting in a dispute arising from the construction of a water desalination plant. He is currently working on disputes concerning some of the largest construction projects in Australia, primarily in the LNG industry. Most recently Steven has conducted a number of successful high-value adjudications under security of payment legislation.
Steven has vast experience in counseling corporations and their boards on regulatory/compliance matters, including undertaking investigations and pre-acquisition due diligence. This experience includes investigating and reporting to boards on foreign corrupt practices and dealing with regulatory bodies in both Australia and overseas on behalf of clients (AFP, ASIC, ATO, DOJ, SEC, World Bank, and Asian Development Bank).
Steven is currently advising clients concerning potential corrupt practices across Asia and the Middle East. He also advises clients on economic sanction and anti-money laundering issues.
Steven is a frequent speaker at conferences on anti-bribery and corruption and has participated in OECD working group sessions on foreign bribery and corruption.
- July 2019
The Age of the Corporate Informant: Australia Expands Private-Sector Whistleblower Protections
- December 2018Anti-Bribery/Anti-Corruption & FCPA training, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- March 2018Ethics Compliance and Anti-corruption training, AESOP Group
- August 2015Whistleblowing, presenter, C5 Conference
- December 2014OECD Anti-Bribery Convention Phase 3 Workshop
- March 20142nd Annual forum on Anti-Corruption Australia on demystifying the intersection of the Australian Criminal Code, the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act; and paper on the anatomy of a corruption investigation
- November 2013Anatomy of a Corruption Investigation, C5 - Extractive Industries Bribery and Corruption Bootcamp
- March 2013The Face of Corruption in Australia, C5 - Bribery and Corruption Conference
- January 30, 2013Energy & Resources in the firing line in foreign bribery crackdown
- University of Otago, New Zealand (LL.B. and B.A. 1994)
- High Court of Australia and New South Wales
Best Lawyers, Australia (2016-2017)
"Local Disputes Star," Benchmark Asia-Pacific (2013)
Recommended in Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2012)
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017)
Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence (2017)