With more than 25 years of experience in intellectual property counseling and litigation, Michiru Takahashi has represented famous brands such as Starbucks, Dell, Mag Instrument, and Sunkist. Her practice focuses on trademark, unfair competition, and copyright issues, including infringement litigation and trademark prosecution.
Michiru has significant experience protecting trade dress and product configuration. As lead counsel, she represented Mag Instrument in the landmark case at the Intellectual Property High Court. The case marked the first time the court granted 3-D trademark registration to a product configuration (i.e., Mini Maglite flashlight product shape). She also has extensive experience in cross-border technology transactions, including patent and know-how licensing and development agreements.
In addition, Michiru frequently counsels clients on privacy and data security issues. With more than 10 years of experience in this practice, she regularly advises foreign clients on Japanese personal information protection law, including the development of internal policies and measures against privacy breach cases. She also has significant experience advising Japanese multinational clients in relation to international transfer of personal data and EU and other Asian nations' data protection laws and regulations.
Michiru is a member of the Daini Tokyo Bar Association, the Japan Patent Attorneys Association, the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), and the International Trademark Association.
- January 2018Law and Practice Japan, Pharmaceutical Advertising, Chambers Global Practice Guides
- December 2017ビジネスの視点から見た中国サイバーセキュリティ法（『日中経協ジャーナル』12月号）
- September 2017Data Breach Advisory Note-Japan, DataGuidance
- May 2016Data Breach Advisory Note-Japan, DataGuidance (on-line)
- May 2009A Privacy Primer for Corporate Counsel, Thomson Reuters/Aspatore
- January 2007Q＆AでスッキリわかるＩＴ社会の法律相談/Q&A Legal Issues in IT Society（清文社）
- March 2006Personal Information Protection Law in Japan, Privacy & Data Security Law Journal
- March 2006Personal Information Protection Law in Japan, Privacy & Data Security Review
- March 2006Personal Information Protection Law in Japan, World Data Protection Report, BNA International
- June/July 1995Parallel Importation of Patented Goods Does Not Constitute Patent Infringement, Issue 73 of Patent World
- October 23, 2017How to Prepare for the GDPR for Japanese Companies
- October 2017ジョーンズ・デイセミナー：EU一般データ保護規則（GDPR）への備え - 日本企業向け -
- July 2017ジョーンズ・デイ知的財産セミナー：小宮義則特許庁顧問による「第四次産業革命と今後の日本の知的財産戦略」講演
- April 2017ジョーンズ・デイ ライフサイエンスセミナー：医薬品に関する国際契約書の作成・交渉（１）
- July 2016ジョーンズ・デイセミナー：近時のEUにおけるプライバシーに関する新情勢
- June 2016ジョーンズ・デイ ライフサイエンスセミナー：近時の EUにおけるデータに関する新情勢
- April 2016AIPPI JAPANセミナー：米国特許訴訟の最新情報
- September 2015ジョーンズ・デイ米国訴訟セミナー：米国訴訟において日本の企業が留意すべき事項
- September 2015日本弁理士会セミナー：米国における知財法務の最新動向 ～現在のアンチパテント環境における道標
- December 2014AIPPI JAPANセミナー：米国特許訴訟の最新情報
- September 2013AIPPI・JAPANセミナー：米国特許訴訟の最新情報
- September 2012AIPPI・JAPANセミナー「米国特許法改正及び米国特許訴訟の最新情報」
- November 30, 2001Privacy Protection in the Network Society, Tokyo Metropolitan Research Laboratory of Public Health.
- Cornell University (LL.M. 1993); The Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan (1989); Kyoto University (LL.B. 1985)
- Japan (Daini Tokyo Bar Association) as an attorney at law and (Japan Patent Attorneys Association) as a patent attorney
Ranked as a leading lawyer/individual for intellectual property by:
World Trademark Review (2014-2019)
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2011-2019)
Chambers Global (2012-2019)
Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013-2019)
"IP Stars" (2014-2019) and "IP Stars — Top 250 Women in IP" (2016, 2018), Managing Intellectual Property
World IP Review (2016-2018)
The Best Lawyers in Japan (2019-2020)
"Top 80," WIPR Influential Women in IP (2019)
- English, Japanese