Ursula Schliessner leads the Environmental, Health & Safety Practice in the Brussels Office, focusing on EU environmental, food, product, and worker safety law. She is a recognized leader on REACH and other EU chemicals regulations (biocides, food contact materials, cosmetics). She regularly handles REACH registrations, compliance checks, and substance evaluation cases, including RMOAs (risk management options analysis), classification and labeling, and enforcement procedures, as well as ECHA Board of Appeal cases.
Ursula established and manages some of the first-ever REACH registration (styrene, ethylbenzene, unsaturated polyester resins, iron oxides, TCPP, gluconic acid, and sorbitol) and authorization (CTAC, CCST, CTACSub) consortia ranging from two to more than 150 member companies.
In the EU food law area, Ursula has in-depth knowledge of novel foods (authorizations and notifications under the simplified procedure) and biotech. She often advises on borderline products (foods vs. pharmaceuticals), product/additive authorizations, labeling, and claims and recalls, including for consumer products, food packaging, and electronics.
Regarding worker safety, prior to joining Jones Day in 2014, Ursula created the EU cross-sectoral social dialogue agreement on good handling of silica, as ratified by 15 European industry associations and two European employee federations. The European Commission hailed this as a model agreement.
Ursula is annually recognized in leading independent legal directories. Clients say, "she is innovative, a hard worker and very analytical," adding: "she has a deep understanding of REACH matters and gives practical advice" (Chambers Europe 2017).
The following represents experience prior to joining Jones Day.
Food and Food Packaging Matters
Advised on numerous successful EU novel food authorizations and notifications under Regulation 258/97 and its predecessors for genetically modified foods and seeds.
Advised and advocated on denomination of starch, baby food ingredients, contaminants (dioxins, pesticide residues etc.), and cross-contamination with GMOs and industrial cleaning agents.
Advised on food hygiene matters including use of disinfectants.
Advised on various product recall matters and developed litigation strategies in relation to migration of food packaging ingredients in food.
Advised on approval/renewal of authorizations for additives (flavorings, colors) and processing aids/disinfectants, on health and nutrition claims, on EU recipe type legislation (juices, minced meat, meat preparations, oil, milk).
Drafted declarations of compliance for food packaging material producers.
Advised on implementation of cross-European innovative food labeling systems for non-prepacked foods including allergen labeling under the new EU Food Information Regulation 1169/2011.
Brexit: Product Regulation and Safety—Further Musings on the Possible Effects on Importers of Goods into the European Union
- January 2015REACH joint authorization scenarios - when does competition law limit information exchange?, European Competition Law Review, Volume 36: Issue 1
- July 2007Administrative law of the European Union - Adjudication, Rulemaking, Sectorial Reporter on Food Safety, American Bar Association
- June 16, 2016NEPSI 10th Anniversary Conference
- 26 novembre 2015REACH, 9 ans après son adoption - Retour d'expérience, Actualité et Perspective
- June 23-24, 2015REACH: Legal Implications and Supply Chain Strategies 2015
- 27. April 2015Zulassung unter REACH – Erfolgreich beantragen!
- April 27, 2015Authorization under REACH - How to apply successfully!
- March 25-26, 2015ORCHSE EU HSE Forum
- December 11, 2014Strategische und rechtliche Überlegungen für Kooperationen bei der Beantragung von REACH-Zulassungen, REACH-Zulassung Workshop.
- November 7, 2014Strategic and Legal Considerations for Organisation of REACH Authorisation, REACH Authorisation Workshop
- Second State Exam (Bavaria, 1989); Ludwigs-Maximilians University, Munich (First State Exam 1986)
- Brussels Bar (E-List), Düsseldorf, and Landgericht Düsseldorf (district court)
The Legal 500 EMEA (2016): recommended for EU regulatory, chemicals (REACH), food, and pharmaceuticals and biotechnology
Chambers Europe (2017): "Leader in Their Field" for Environment: EU Regulatory (Belgium)
JUVE Handbuch Wirtschaftskanzleien 2014/2015: recommended for European environmental and chemical law practice
Euromoney LMG: recipient of "Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2015" as "Best" in environment law practice
Who's Who Legal: Environment (2015)
- English, French, and German