Mauricio Paez advises Fortune 100 companies concerning legal issues with digital transformations, space-based data services, global e-commerce, digital marketing, data protection and privacy, cybersecurity, cyber governance, technology sourcing and outsourcing, and emerging technology matters such as IoT, artificial intelligence, industrial internet, and autonomous machines. He is a regular speaker and publisher and is a recognized leader in these fields.
Mauricio assists clients with legal issues impacting the digital business, including industrial internet applications, consumer IoT protections, cloud services, big data analytics, AI and cognitive technologies, terrestrial and space-based commercial data services, global data privacy, cybersecurity breach response and cyber investigations, and global compliance. He helps clients develop and implement worldwide digital strategies (B2B and B2C), compliance programs to address new legal risks, safeguarding digital assets, cross-border transfers of data, and cybersecurity oversight and management. He also helps clients address privacy and cybersecurity issues in commercial agreements and supports technology corporate transactions, such as mergers and acquisitions.
In addition, Mauricio assists clients with data breach response and conducts data privacy assessments, information security compliance audits, and cyber investigations on a worldwide scale, including managing third-party forensic investigations. He defends clients against state and federal governmental agency enforcement investigations, including in health care, financial services, and consumer protection.
His clients are in a variety of industries, such as internet, technology, retail, financial services, health care, utilities, automotive, aviation, satellite, communications, and marketing.
Mauricio is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals, the American Bar Association, and the New York State Bar Association.
The Internet of Things (IoT): Legal Issues, Policy, and Practical Strategies, multiple authors and editors, American Bar Association
- April 2018GDPR: Understanding the New Landscape, Corporate Counsel Business Journal
- July/August 2016MCC Interview: Mauricio Paez and Jeff Rabkin / Jones Day; The Changing Face of Cyberthreats
- October 2014Practical Considerations in Developing a Cyber Incident Response and Compliance Program, Chapter 16, Corporate Law and Practice, Corporate Counsel Institute 2014, Practicing Law Institute
- April 2013What You Should Know About Calif.'s Right To Know Act, Public Policy Law 360,
- March 21, 2013Italian Court's Google Decision: A Significant Precedent, Privacy, White Collar and Technology Law360
- 2010New Mexican Data Protection Law: Strict Requirements and Severe Penalties
- December 2005New York Enacts Data Security and Notification Law, coauthor, Electronic Banking Law and Commerce Report
- September 2004Outsourcing Trends in Latin America, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, Vol. 12, No. 10
- November 2000Digital Music and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act: Copyright Piracy, Liability and Licensing (Down & Dirty with the DMCA), MP3.com
- June 1999Music on the Internet: How to Minimize Liability Risks While Benefiting from the Use of Music on the Internet, ABA, The Business Lawyer, 55, ABA SEC. BUS. LAW. 409
- April 25, 2017GDPR Workshop: Best Practices for Implementing the EU General Data Protection Regulation, Jones Day Seminar
- February 23, 2016Emerging Issues in Data Risk and Compliance in the Financial Services Industry
- November 4, 20152015 Cybersecurity Institute in Government Contracts
- September 2-5, 20152015 HNBA Annual Convention
- December 2, 2014CLE Academy Privacy and Cybersecurity
- November 20, 2014HBA of NJ, 5th Annual Corporate Counsel Roundtable - Cybersecurity Response: Best Practices From the Field
- November 6, 2014Futures Industry Association 2014 Convention: Cybersecurity Threats & Responses
- September 18, 2014Cyber Due Diligence - A Pre-purchase Check-up Reveals Data Risk Hot Spots, International Association of Privacy Professionals, Privacy Academy
- September 11, 2014Hispanic National Bar Association: Cybersecurity- Legislation, President’s Executive Order, and Regulatory Action
- July 17, 2014Federal and State Regulators Crackdown on Banks Over Cybersecurity, West Legal Edcenter
- July 17, 2014JD CLE FDIC and NYS Cyber Security Trends
- June 12, 2014Social Media and Data Privacy: What You Need to Know
- June 12, 2014Trends in Privacy and Security Risks: What You Need to Know Now, JD MCLE Academy
- March 23, 2014The Tangled Vine: Federal vs. State Law, Unclaimed Property Professionals Organization Annual Meeting 2014
- March 20, 2014Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference: Cybersecurity - How to Mitigate Risks and Respond to Security Breaches and Theft
- October 3, 2013Bring Your Own Device (BYOD): Are You Breaching Your Own Data?, Northwestern Law CLE - 52nd Annual Corporate Counsel Institute
- June 9, 2013Managing Crisis: The intersection of Internal Investigations, Corporate Governance, and Data Privacy
- January 2013Privacy Year in Review, Jones Day University
- March 20, 2012Trademarks and the Internet- Cybersquatting, Brandjacking, and Generictop-level Domains (gtlds) – New Dangers in Cyber Space, Hispanic National Bar Association Corporate Counsel Conference
- February 7, 2012Managing a Data Breach. JD CLE University
- November 30, 2011The Knowledge Congress: Cyber Security Best Practices for Banking and Financial Sectors in 2011 Live Webcast
- August 7, 2011American Bar Association Annual Meeting- Labor and Employment Law Section: Investigating and Forgetting on the Web
- July 20, 2011Cloud Computing: Global Data Privacy and Secuity Compliance
- September 23, 2010Emerging Technologies & Workplace Privacy: The Evolving Understanding of Privacy Expectations in the Workplace
- May 1, 2009Computer Fraud and Abuse and Intellectual Property Issues, American Bar Association, Section of Labor and Employment Law, Mid-Year Meeting
- May 1, 2009Security, Data Protection and Privacy: U.S. and International Legal Principles, Cardozo School of Law - CLE
- February 24, 2009Protecting Privacy and Confidentiality Through Security Measure: Developing and Executing a Legal Outsourcing strategy to Ensure Success, LPO Summit: American Conference Institute
- July 2, 2008Data, Security, and Privacy Issues Facing the U.S. Financial Services Industry, ALI-ABA Live Telephone Seminar - Audio Webcast
- May 16, 2008Security Breaches and Workplace Privacy, Association of Corporate Counsel
- September 11, 2004The Trend Towards Off-Shore Outsourcing: Law and Policy, Hispanic National Bar Association Convention, 2004
- April 28, 2003Current Intellectual Property Issues and the Internet, Hispanic National Bar Association Mid-Year Convention, 2002
- October 23, 2002Security and Technology Post 911, Northeast Ohio Software Association (NEOSA)
- October 12, 2001Accessing Information Technology: Trends in Outsourcing, Business Law Symposium, New Jersey State Bar Association
- September 8, 1999Digital Distribution on the Internet, First Conference, Inc.
- Rutgers University (J.D. 1996; School of Planning and Public Policy 1993; B.A. 1992)
- New York, New Jersey, and United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Recipient of JD Supra's 2018 Readers' Choice Award in Cybersecurity
Recognized in The Legal 500 US (2015-2018) as a leading individual in global data protection and privacy and outsourcing, who gives "practical, business-oriented advice"
Appointed in 2015 to serve as a member of the American Bar Association's Cybersecurity Legal Task Force
Recipient of The National Law Journal 2015 Cybersecurity Trailblazer Award