Markus Kappenhagen has been advising companies in all aspects of labor and employment matters for more than two decades. His practice is particularly focused on complex reorganizations and restructurings, employment issues in mergers and acquisitions, business transfers, mass dismissals, negotiations with works councils and trade unions, the structuring of variable compensation plans, and the hiring of and separation from managerial employees.
Markus advises Magna, the car manufacturer and automotive supplier, in acquisition matters (labor) and restructurings. In 2012-2013, he was retained by a textile company when it closed down a plant with 300 employees, including the negotiations with unions and works councils. Furthermore, he advised the international hotel group Pandox when it acquired hotels in Germany. Prior to joining Jones Day, Markus worked for E-Plus on several employment transactions and for CapGemini in social plan negotiations regarding an intra-group spin-off.
Markus has written and edited numerous articles and presentations in German and English on employment law. He is a member of the Association of Employment Lawyers in the German Lawyers' Association.
When Fixed-Term Employment in Germany is Actually Indefinite: Understanding Recent Labor Court Decisions
Jones Day Talks Anticorruption: German Companies — Are You Prepared for the EU Whistleblower Directive?
- 2013Kommentierung zu Artikel 3 GG sowie AGG, Dornbusch/Fischermeier/Löwisch: Fachanwaltskommentar Arbeitsrecht 5th ed.
- 15 July 2013Unbegrenzt ist nicht vorübergehend, Legal Tribune Online (LTO)
- 28 June 2013Sozialauswahl bei teilweiser Stilllegung eines Gemeinschaftsbetriebes, Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftsrecht (GWR), 13/2013
- 18 March 2013Betriebsübergang durch Übernahme von Personal, Betriebsberater (BB), 12/2013
- 4 February 2013Wie aus zehn plötzlich elf Mitarbeiter wurden, Legal Tribune Online (LTO)
- 30 April 2012Whistleblower riskieren immer noch ihren Job, Legal Tribune Online
- 16 June 2011BAG zum Betriebsübergang: Betriebsverlagerung ins Ausland kein Grund für Entlassung, Legal Tribune Online (LTO)
- 2010Wer wird denn gleich in die Luft gehen? Der Pilotenstreik und seine Lehren, Arbeit und Arbeitsrecht (AuA), 238
- 2007Streik um Tarifsozialplan zulässig, Urteilsanmerkung, Betriebsberater (BB), 2238
- February 16, 2015New Rules in the German Social Security System for Inhouse Lawyers, German Association of HR Managers (BPM)
- February 5-6, 2015Labor law issues in M&A transactions, 3rd IBA European Corporate and Private M&A Conference
- November 29, 2013Buying is fun, merging is hell, Rechtliche Herausforderungen der Post-Merger Integration, JDialog: Post-Merger Integration
- April 18, 2013Annual European Labor & Employment Conference
- February 12, 2013Demographic Changes and Labor Law, German Association of HR Managers (BPM)
- Fachanwalt für Arbeitsrecht (Attorney Specializing in Labor Law, 1997); University of Muenster (Dr. jur. 1991); Higher Regional Court of Berlin (Second State Examination 1991); University of Munich and University of Muenster (First State Examination 1986)
Named repeatedly in the German attorneys' ranking handbook JUVE (2011-2013)
Legal 500 Germany (2014)
Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers (2015, 2017): labor & employment Law
- English and German