Simon Yu takes advantage of his various practice experiences to assist clients with both litigation and business resolutions.
Simon's practice areas include intellectual property, securities exchange law, fair trade law, engineering litigation, ordinary civil and criminal litigation, and multinational disputes. He has represented Foxconn Technology Group in patent litigation in the U.S.; Princeton Technology Corp., Standard Foods Corporation, Uni-President, Educational Testing Service, and Ferri Jewelry in IP cases; Ting Hsin International Group, Citigroup Global Markets, Green Energy Technology Corp., and Tatung Co. in securities exchange law cases; Formosa Laboratories and DIC Corporation in multinational civil and criminal cases; and Xing Song Ltd. and Tuo Xing Construction Ltd. in litigation involving public procurement.
Prior to Jones Day, Simon served as a Taiwan Taipei District Court judge for 10 years and during his term in criminal, civil, and IP courts, he was awarded for excellent trial performance twice. In 2005, he was sponsored by Judicial Yuan of R.O.C. for an advanced law degree at New York University and in international banking at Stern School of Business. Furthermore, Simon expanded his studies to real estate disputes and banking regulations through the LL.M. and Ph.D. programs at National Cheng Chi University.
Simon is an adjunct instructor at National Cheng Chi University College of Law and a lecturer at National Dong Hwa University.
Simon serves as a commissioner of the Trademark and Patent Committee of the Taipei Bar Association, a mediator of the Taipei District Court, and a member of American Chamber of Commerce in Taipei. He is fluent in Mandarin, English, and Taiwanese.
- May 23, 2019Cross-border Litigation Panel Discussion, The Legal 500: Taiwan Dispute Resolution Forum 2019
- August 2016企業法律風險管理, 玉山科技協會
- May 2016CPA Global 智財專家研討會, CPA Global
- Septemer 2015智財演講, 統一企業 (7-11)
- June 2014我國專利法制與審判實證研討會，交通部集思會議
- 2013年3月美國海外反貪污法案(FCPA)之簡介，Textron Distributor Compliance Training演講
- New York University (LL.M. 2006); National Cheng Chi University (LL.M. 2003; LL.B. 1998)
- Judge, Taiwan Taipei District Court (January 2001-March 2011)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific — recommended lawyer in: dispute resolution (2018-2019), intellectual property (2013-2014, 2019), and real estate and construction (2019)
- Chinese (Mandarin and Taiwanese), English