Tim Melton, a corporate lawyer with more than 30 years of deal experience, has served as lead counsel on hundreds of transactions with total transaction values well in excess of $100 billion. Tim is a go-to counselor and adviser for a wide variety of clients, many of which he has served for decades. He regularly advises public and private companies and their boards of directors on matters relating to corporate governance, M&A, debt and equity tender offers, distressed debt, securities regulations, financing strategies and alternatives, and stockholder activism. Tim also has experience representing special committees in going private transactions as well as internal investigations. He represents financial institutions as well in connection with public and private financings and various restructuring scenarios.
Tim recently represented Cardinal Health in connection with its $6.1 billion acquisition of a patient product portfolio, Reynolds American in its $49 billion acquisition by British American Tobacco, Procter & Gamble in the $12.5 billion sale of its beauty brands, USG in its sale of $500 million of Senior Notes, and Goldman Sachs in its underwritten public offering of notes issued by First Midwest Bancorp.
Tim is Partner-in-Charge of Jones Day's Detroit Office and previously served as co-head of the Firm's Capital Markets Practice. He is a member of the Executive Committee and currently serves as chair of the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate Securities Law Institute and serves as a member (past chair) of the Advisory Board of Cabrini Green Legal Aid.
- April 2018A Conversation with SEC Division of Corporation Finance Director, Ray Garrett, Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute, Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- May 2005-2018Executive Planning Committee, Ray Garrett, Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute
- April 27, 2016International Tax Seminar for Detroit Chapter of Tax Executives Institute
- June 17, 2014Proxy Statement Interactive Seminar
- June 12, 2014Corporate Governance and Public Disclosure Challenges
- June 9, 2013Managing Crisis: The intersection of Internal Investigations, Corporate Governance, and Data Privacy
- June 7, 2012Creative Deal Planning: Thoughts on Current Structures and Exit Strategies, Jones Day Chicago 2012 MCLE University
- May 2008Ethics and Malpractice in Corporate Transactions, Chair, Ray Garrett Jr., Corporate and Securities Law Institute
- September 2007Chairman, SEC Hot Topics Seminar, Glasser Legal Works
- December 2005Corporate Governance Reform, Developments in Securities Laws, Practising Law Institute
- October 2005SEC Hot Topics Seminar, Glasser Legal Works
- October 2004SEC Issues Update Seminar
- April 2004Value Creation Strategies, Houlihan Lokey
- Wayne State University (J.D. cum laude 1987; Order of the Coif; Editor, Law Review); Gordon College (B.A. 1983)
- Michigan and Illinois
BTI Consulting Group's "Client Service All-Star" (multiple years)
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2011-2018)
Best Lawyers in America (2010-2018)
Super Lawyers (2006-2019)
The Legal 500
- Law Clerk to Judge Richard F. Suhrheinrich, United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (1987-1989 term)