Tara Kowalski focuses her practice on representing policyholders in pursuing insurance claims and litigation. With more than a decade of experience, she has successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for clients in insurance claims. She was recently named a "Rising Star Under 40" by Law360, one of only two policyholder lawyers named in the U.S.
Tara has extensive experience with various types of insurance coverage and claims, including commercial general liability (CGL), professional liability, employment practices liability (EPLI), errors and omissions (E&O), product liability, intellectual property, builders risk, property, business interruption, extra expense, and bad faith. She has represented policyholders in a broad array of industries, including consumer products, fashion/apparel, real estate, retail, hospitality, manufacturing, financial services, telecommunications, railroad, and medical.
Tara also maintains an active commercial litigation practice in other areas, such as contract, indemnity, and toxic tort and has represented clients in all stages of arbitration and litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States. She is experienced in e-discovery issues and has helped corporations design and implement e-discovery programs in response to the 2006 amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
Tara frequently writes and speaks on insurance coverage issues. She served as co-chair of the Business Interruption Subcommittee of the American Bar Association's Insurance Litigation Committee. She has been recognized repeatedly as a "Super Lawyer," "Top LA Women Lawyer," and "Rising Star" by the publishers of Los Angeles magazine.
Sammons settles bad faith claims against Federal Insurance Company
Jones Day represented Sammons Financial Group as lead counsel in a Iowa federal bad faith coverage action seeking coverage for defense costs incurred in defending underlying annuity sales practice class actions.
Union Pacific Railroad successfully defeats toxic tort claims after derailment in California
Jones Day successfully defended Union Pacific Railroad Company against toxic tort claims involving over 180 plaintiffs relating to a derailment in Southern California.
- April 19, 2016How Insurance Can Save You Millions in IP Litigation, Apparel
- March 17, 2015Does Your Insurance Cover Supply Chain Disruptions? Apparel
- June 2010Uh-oh, Do I Have Coverage for my Spaghettios, Insurance Coverage Monitor
- Summer 2007Fiduciary Duties in Limited Partnerships: A Necessary Legal Protection or an Interference with Freedom of Contract Principles?, coauthor, ABA Section of Litigation, Business Torts Journal
- Fall 2001Alvarado v. Superior Court: A Death Sentence for Government Witnesses, UC Davis Law Review
- January 26, 2017Beating Bias, Moderator, Los Angeles County Bar Association and Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles Joint Task Force
- January 25, 2017Maximizing Directors' and Officers' Insurance Coverage: The Evolving Needs From Start-Up to Publicly Traded Company, Jones Day University
- January 2017Maximizing D&O Insurance Coverage: The Evolving Needs from Start-Up to Publicly Traded Company
- September 27, 2016Cybersecurity Insurance, FFIEC Cybersecuirty Assessment Tool Deep Dive Workshop
- January 2009Insurance Coverage 101: Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage, Howrey LLP
- University of California, Davis (J.D. 2002; Editor-in-Chief, Law Review; Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Torts); University of California, San Diego (B.A. magna cum laude 1998)
- California and U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California
Best Lawyers in America (2018)
Southern California Super Lawyers (2013-2018)
"The Top LA Women Lawyers" — Los Angeles magazine (2011-2016)
"Rising Star Under 40 in Insurance Law" — Law360 (2013)
"Rising Star" — Southern California Super Lawyers (2011-2013)
- Legal extern to Senior Judge Arthur R. Alarcón, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit (Summer 2000)