Laura Ellsworth is Jones Day's first Partner-in-Charge of Global Community Service Initiatives, spearheading the Firm's rule of law initiatives around the world. In her litigation practice she has handled landmark public nuisance cases, multijurisdictional product liability matters, the largest health care bankruptcy of its time, and nationwide qui tam cases. She served on the Local Rules Advisory Committee for the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania and in 2013-2014 was co-chair of the Federal Judicial Selection Committee for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Laura has been active in civic and community affairs, serving in leadership roles on the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, the Three Rivers Workforce Investment Board, and the United Way Women's Leadership Council. Governor Rendell named her one of Pennsylvania's Top Businesswomen, and Governor Corbett appointed her to serve on the boards of the Pennsylvania State System for Higher Education, Pennsylvania Council on Privatization and Innovation, and Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. She has served on public company and civic/charitable boards, including FNB Corporation, Magee-Womens Research Institute & Foundation, Imani Christian Academy, Heinz History Center, Waynesburg University, McCune Foundation, and University of Pittsburgh Institute of Politics. Laura has taught law classes in inner-city schools and conducted two Lawyers Without Borders programs in Nairobi, Kenya.
Laura's civic contributions have been recognized in numerous awards including the 2013 ATHENA Award, 2014 Pennsylvania Diversity Council's Most Powerful & Influential Women Award, the 2016 Legal Intelligencer's Lifetime Achievement Award, and a 2017 Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America.
U.S. industrial manufacturer seeks compliance training for joint venture in Brazil
Jones Day advised a U.S. industrial manufacturer with compliance training involving a joint-venture and subsidiary operations in Brazil under U.S. antibribery laws, including the CAP, and under the Brazilian Clean Companies Act.
Outsourcing company successfully defends against shareholder class action alleging 10b-5 claim involving corporate governance disclosures
Jones Day obtained a complete dismissal of a shareholder class action alleging misleading disclosures concerning the company's corporate governance practices.
UPMC obtains dismissal of Lanham Act claims
Jones Day represented the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center ("UPMC") and eight of its subsidiary hospitals against allegations of false advertising, breach of contract, and tortious interference with contractual relations brought by insurer Highmark Inc. in connection with UPMC's "Keep Your Doctor" advertising campaign.
Education Management Corporation defends federal and state False Claims Act allegations
Jones Day is defending Education Management Company (EDMC) against a False Claims Act action brought by private relators and joined by the federal government, several states and the District of Columbia.
Education Management Corporation wins motion to dismiss securities class action
Jones Day represented Education Management Corporation ("EDMC") and certain of its directors and officers in a securities class action lawsuit (dismissed) filed in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Potash Corporation successfully defends historic $43.1 billion hostile takeover bid
Following an arduous three-month battle, Jones Day's client, Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Inc., successfully repelled BHP Billiton's hostile $43.1 billion tender offer for all of PotashCorp's shares in November 2010.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals obtains dismissal of antitrust claims alleging sham litigation, brought by direct and indirect purchasers
On behalf of Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Jones Day obtained dismissal of direct and indirect purchaser class actions in cases alleging that Boehringer brought sham litigation to maintain an unlawful monopoly.
Sherwin-Williams successfully defends temporary restraining order/preliminary injunction action seeking enforcement of non-compete agreement involving senior executive
Jones Day successfully defended client, The Sherwin-Williams Company, in a temporary restraining order/preliminary injunction matter seeking to enforce a non-compete agreement to prevent a former PPG senior executive from working for Sherwin-Williams.
GE defends against putative nationwide class action alleging discrimination against women in executive pay and promotions
Jones Day represented General Electric Company in a nationwide putative class action, alleging discrimination against women in the executive band in pay and promotions.
Sherwin-Williams prevails in landmark public nuisance suit over lead pigment before Rhode Island Supreme Court
The Rhode Island Supreme Court overturned a jury verdict against Jones Day client, The Sherwin-Williams Company, and other former lead pigment manufacturers, stating that the trial court should have dismissed the public nuisance claim at the outset.
Safelite Glass wins summary judgment in unfair competition action against call center operations
Jones Day represented Safelite Glass (now Belron US Inc.) in an unfair competition lawsuit filed in 2002 by Safelite's competitor, Diamond Triumph Auto Glass, attacking its call center operations and seeking tens of millions of dollars.
NOVA Chemicals seeks corporate counsel advice
Jones Day provided ongoing corporate counsel advice for dual-listed Canadian issuer, NOVA Chemicals Corporation.
Official Creditors Committee of AHERF seeks judicial declaration that D&O insurance policies not subject to rescission by carriers
Jones Day represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of the Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation (AHERF) in an action seeking judicial declaration that AHERF's directors' and officers' professional liability insurance policies were not subject to rescission by AHERF's insurance carriers.
CBS Corporation prevails in 3rd Circuit appeal of ERISA action regarding entitlement to retiree benefits
Jones Day represented CBS as successor to Westinghouse in an ERISA action regarding entitlement to retiree benefits.
CBS Corporation successful defense of ERISA claims is affirmed on appeal
Jones Day successfully defended CBS Corporation, as successor to Westinghouse, against allegations that it violated ERISA by denying job separation benefits to the plaintiff following the sale of the division in which the plaintiff worked.
AHERF creditors' committee pursues claims against certain officers and trustees of health care system
Jones Day pursued claims against certain former officers and trustees of the Allegheny Health, Education and Research Foundation, a multicity health care system, for, among other things, breach of fiduciary duty and against the system's former auditors for audit failure in the years preceding what was the nation's largest not-for-profit health care bankruptcy when it was filed in July 1998.
Human Trafficking in the Hospitality Industry: What Industry Participants Should Do to Protect Themselves and Their Customers
Significant Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Expected to Take Effect December 1, 2015: Practical Implications and What Litigators Need to Know
Department of Education Expands Regulatory Authority in the Uncertain and Controversial Area of Gainful Employment
New HEA Regulations Signal Major Changes in the Regulatory Landscape for Admission and Financial Aid Officers
Let Data Speak Equally to All: The Production, Protection and Use of Raw Data in Litigation, American Bar Association Expert Alert, Vol. 4, No. 3
- Spring 2017
Teaching Peaceful Protesting, Best Lawyers: Spring Business Edition 2017
- September 28, 2017Minority and Women Lawyers' Business Development Forum, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- September 21, 2017Past, Present and Future, Great Lakes Relocation Conference
- April 22, 2017L3 Leadership Breakfast
- November 18, 2016Greater Pittsburgh Non-Profit Partnership Annual Meeting – Perspectives on Election 2016
- November 17, 2016National Conversation on Board Diversity – Women on Boards 20/20 (Facilitator)
- November 11, 2016Jones Day/ABA VetLex Veterans Day Event – launch of first national pro bono lawyer-referral system for U.S. veterans created by Jones Day and American Bar Association
- November 9, 2016Allegheny Conference on Community Development Annual Meeting
- October 19, 2016AON Risk Management, Women Empowered
- September 14, 2016Allegheny Conference on Community Development Third Quarter Regional Investors Council Luncheon
- June 20, 2016Corporate Equity & Inclusion Roundtable
- April 5, 2016National Association of Professional Women, Professional Diversity Network – Power Networking
- March 24, 2016Elsie Hillman Civic Engagement Program (Community Mentor) – "Never A Spectator"
- March 4, 2016Pittsburgh Leadership Foundation – Greater Pittsburgh Community Leaders 2016 Prayer Breakfast
- November 19, 2015The National Conversation on Board Diversity, Why and How Do Winning Companies Recruit to Maximize Board Effectiveness?, 2020 Women on Boards event
- November 17, 2015Magee Movement – Advocating funding of scientific research in women’s health
- October 22 2015Smart People Take Smart Risks, Pennsylvania Diversity Council
- October 15, 20152015 Regional Energy Conference: Navigating Turbulences in Global Oil & Gas Markets
- September 23, 2014Young Professional Women in Energy (YPWE) Quarterly Event
- July 25, 2014Jones Day Regional Energy Conference, International Implications of the Marcellus and Utica Shale
- June 9, 2014Corporate Equity & Inclusion Roundtable
- May 19, 2014Waynesburg University Commencement Speaker
- October 11, 2013Athena Award Acceptance
- May 13, 2013Corporate Equity & Inclusion Roundtable
- February 14, 2013Jones Day Regional Energy Conference, Harnessing Regional Opportunity in the new Energy Economy
- November 2012Accomplishments and Strategic Plan of the Organization, Annual Meeting of the Allegheny Conference on Community and Economic Development
- March 25, 20102010 Speaker Series: Climate Change and Renewable Energy
- November 12, 2009Litigation Potpourri
- October 2007Ediscovery Update, PLAC Annual Meeting
- January 31, 2007Proven Strategies for Successfully Managing the Demands of a Law Practice and Personal Life, Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE program
- May 2006E-Discovery: An Outline of Legal Issues, Association of Corporate Counsel of Western Pennsylvania, Laura Ellsworth and Cecilia Dickson
- June 9, 2005The Impact of Sarbanes-Oxley on Nonprofit Organizations, Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon
- April 24-25, 2003Electronic Discovery
- University of Pittsburgh (J.D. magna cum laude 1983; Order of the Coif; University Scholar; Law Review); Princeton University (B.A. 1980)
Philadelphia magazine: 50 Top Women Lawyers in Pennsylvania
The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation), including a 2017 Lawyer of the Year in class action/mass tort
Recognized as a "leader in their field" by Chambers USA, a "leader in the law" by the Legal Intelligencer, and one of Pennsylvania's top female litigators by Pennsylvania Law Weekly
2018 Coleman Award for excellence in community service, Institute of Politics, University of Pittsburgh