James Dutro is a health care transactional and regulatory attorney and co-leader of the Firm's Health Care Practice. His practice is focused on representing hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, medical groups, health plans, and various other health care and life sciences companies in connection with mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, joint ventures, financings, and other complex business transactions.
James is widely recognized as one of the leading attorneys in structuring and implementing accountable care organizations (ACOs), clinically integrated organizations (CIOs), integrated delivery systems (IDSs), management services organizations (MSOs), and other hospital-physician alignment and managed care contracting transactions and arrangements. He has worked with clients such as City of Hope, Dignity Health, Phoenix Children's Hospital, and Stanford Hospital & Clinics to develop and implement successful strategies for more closely aligning the operations and activities of hospitals, physicians, and ancillary service providers.
James also has significant experience advising clients regarding strategies and structures aimed at improving the quality and efficiency of health care delivery, including the development of co-management, gainsharing, pay-for-performance, and other incentive-based compensation arrangements. He regularly advises clients regarding the health care regulatory laws affecting health care services and life sciences companies and is regarded as one of the foremost lawyers on state and federal anti-kickback and self-referral ("Stark" and "Speier") laws.
James is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the California Society of Healthcare Attorneys.
CMS Makes Changes to the Stark Law: Addressing Payment Reform, Reducing Burden, and Facilitating Compliance
CMS Announces New Initiative Designed to Support Clinicians in Developing Comprehensive Quality Improvement Strategies
- September 11, 2014NorCal Healthcare Deals Roundtable
- October 17, 2012Jones Day / Navigant 16th Annual Health Care Compliance Forum
- October 3, 2012Dignity Health 2012 Physician Alignment Symposium
- October 18, 2011Physician Employment, Professional Services Arrangements, and Provider-Based Services: Ensuring a Successful and Compliant Relationship, Jones Day / Navigant 15th Annual Health Care Compliance Forum
- October 20, 2010Accountable Care Organizations - Hospital-Physician Integration, Jones Day / Navigant 14th Annual Health Care Compliance Forum
- October 7, 2010Current Trends in Hospital-Physician Alignment, 7th Annual Healthcare Law Compliance Symposium
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D. 1994); University of California, Davis (B.S. 1990)
Listed by Chambers USA as a leading health care attorney since 2007
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2009 in the health care law category
Named The Best Lawyers in America 2015 San Francisco Health Care "Lawyer of the Year"
Named one of the "Outstanding Hospital Lawyers" by Nightingale's Healthcare News