Andrew Barker has more than 20 years of experience representing clients on a wide variety of finance transactions, principally in the real estate sector.
Andrew regularly advises in respect of acquisition finance, investment facilities, construction loans, loan portfolio acquisitions, and recapitalizations, acting for both senior and mezzanine lenders, as well as equity investors.
Recent transactions have included advising the mezzanine creditors in the financing of Blackstone's €3.3 billion acquisition of IVG's portfolio of German offices and representing iQSA, a student housing business owned by Goldman Sachs and the Wellcome Trust, in the £1.3 billion financing of its UK portfolio.
Andrew acts for a number of the leading financial institutions and private equity funds active in European real estate finance markets.
Andrew is recommended as a leading practitioner in the Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK guides.
Investing in distressed real estate, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
Defaulting and insolvent lenders in today’s loan market, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- January 2009Credit Crunch - Defaulting and Insolvent Lenders in today's loan market, Butterworth's Journal of International Banking and Finance Law, Vol. 24
- December 2008Market disruption clauses in syndicated loan agreements, The Bulletin
- November 2008Emergence of UK Sub Prime, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- July 2008Debt Buybacks, TheLawyer.com
- June 19, 2012
Distressed Investment Opportunities and Real Estate Finance in Europe
- November 2011
- March 2009
Navigating Debt Buy-backs, Commercial Loans & Security Conference
- November 2008
Debt Buy-backs, Debt Brief Europe 2008 Conference
- September 2008
Navigating Debt Buy-back Issues and Answers, 18th Annual Commercial Loans & Security Conference
- College of Law (LPC 1996); Oxford University (M.A. 1994)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Cited in the area of property finance as a key individual in Chambers and as a leading practitioner in The Legal 500 UK