Ray Wiacek is one of the world's leading international tax lawyers. He represents multinational corporations on cross-border financings, international acquisitions and reorganizations, and transfer pricing. He is particularly skilled at global planning involving intellectual property. Ray also defends his advice, favorably resolving tax disputes ranging from the proper pricing of foreign autos to the effectiveness of an agreement to share R&D costs worldwide. He is currently challenging the IRS' anti-inversion regulations in court.
Ray negotiated and closed billions of dollars of cross-border financings for Bank of America against many of the leading banks in Europe. He led the worldwide team integrating Warner-Lambert and Pharmacia with Pfizer after Pfizer's overhaul of those companies. This included the disposition of nonstrategic assets, such as Schick and Wilkinson Sword to Energizer and Chiclets and Dentyne to Cadbury. Ray also led the team that implemented a worldwide business and tax plan for Halliburton.
In addition to Bank of America, Pfizer, and Halliburton, representative clients have included Bridgestone/Firestone, Celgene, Dow Corning, H.J. Heinz, Isuzu Motors, JP Morgan, Transworld Oil, and United Coal.
Ray has testified many times on international tax matters before Congress and the Internal Revenue Service. He has been listed every year in the Chambers guide to best lawyers, with clients describing him as "pragmatic and deal oriented," "an excellent negotiator," with "superb technical skills and analytic ability."
The Four Acts of an IRS Controversy: Act II - Uncommon Strategies for Dealing with the IRS Appeals Office
Regulatory Developments Life Sciences Companies Should Expect in the New Presidential Administration
EU Rules Starbucks, Fiat Received Tax Advantages from The Netherlands and Luxembourg Constituting Illegal State Aid, Must Pay Back Taxes
Developing a Multilateral Instrument to Modify Bilateral Tax Treaties: BEPS Action 15, Global Tax Update
- August 2016
EC Rules That Apple Received Illegal State Aid Under Irish Tax Rulings
- June 13, 2019The Four Acts of an IRS Controversy: Act II - Uncommon Strategies for Dealing with the IRS Appeals Office
- February 20, 2018Jones Day's 2018 Speaker Series: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017
- April 20, 2017Preparing for a Sea Change: A Conference with the Government and Private Sector to Discuss Comprehensive Tax Reform
- February 22, 2016Taxation and European Union State Aid Law: The European Commission's Investigation Into Whether Certain Tax Rulings Constitute State Aid
- June 20152015 Tax Executives Institute Region III Conference, Foxwood Resorts and Casino
- March 2015BIO Conference on International Taxation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- April 2014Combating Tax Avoidance and Evasion, American Society of International Law Annual Conference
- February 7, 2013Executive Roundtable Series - Understanding the Impact of the New Tax Law and Formulating M&A and Growth Strategies in 2013 and Beyond
- September 30, 20102010 Transaction Update
- July 23, 2009International Business Roundtable: Pittsburgh in the Global Economy - Doing Business in Europe, Asia, Mexico, and the Middle East
"An excellent negotiator" — Chambers
- Harvard University (J.D. cum laude 1976); Yale University (B.A. summa cum laude 1973; Phi Beta Kappa)
- District of Columbia
Listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA in each year of its publication
Listed in Euromoney's International Tax Review, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, and Who's Who Legal
United States Lawyer Rankings' list of Top 10 Tax Lawyers