Nicole Perry is a trial lawyer who puts a premium on understanding clients' business needs. She focuses on complex civil litigation in state and federal courts, with an emphasis on technology and oil and gas matters. Nicole has significant trial and arbitration experience and has represented clients throughout the U.S. in trade secret and copyright lawsuits, declaratory judgment actions, breach of contract proceedings, and employment disputes. She acted as lead counsel for a national credit reporting agency in more than 30 consumer cases.
Nicole has developed a niche practice in technology matters for clients across all industries and jurisdictions. She has counseled many clients on incident response following a data breach and on a variety of data privacy issues. Nicole has in-depth knowledge of the enterprise software industry and particular experience advising more than 25 clients on open source licensing risks. In addition, she manages e-discovery practices for clients around the world. Nicole also routinely advises clients in the energy industry through work on a variety of oil and gas matters, including disputes involving pipelines, gas processing facilities, onshore and offshore drilling platforms, and utility retail services.
Nicole is the Houston Office Pro Bono partner. She also has served as a volunteer prosecutor for the City of Houston and leads the Firm's participation in Pathways to Law — a program designed to introduce middle and high school students to the legal profession.
ANSYS acquires Granta Design Limited
Jones Day advised ANSYS, Inc., the global leader and innovator of engineering simulation software, in their acquisition of Granta Design, the premier provider of materials information technology, and Granta Design Limited has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of ANSYS.
Air Evac's summary judgment victory affirmed in Fourth Circuit
Jones Day represented Global Medical Response, Inc. subsidiary Air Evac EMS, Inc. ("Air Evac"), which sued the State of West Virginia seeking to enjoin it from applying limits on reimbursement for air ambulance services to patients who are either covered by workers' compensation insurance or public employee insurance, as well as from prohibiting "balance-billing" of policy-holders.
Air Evac wins full dismissal of consumer class action in West Virginia
Jones Day is representing a network of life-saving emergency air transport carriers that includes Air Evac EMS, Inc. against claims filed in various jurisdictions around the country that allege the air ambulance carriers charge improper fees for their services.
Pathways to Law Program, a supplemental learning program for Houston students, kicks off the 2018-2019 school year at Pilgrim Academy and Oak Forest Elementary
Jones Day Houston lawyers are partnering with lawyers from Chevron in the Pathways to Law Program, a supplemental learning program for students in Houston.
Air Evac obtains affirmation of dismissal of putative class action by Tenth Circuit
Jones Day represents Global Medical Response, Inc. subsidiary Air Evac EMS, Inc. ("Air Evac") against claims filed on behalf of a putative class of consumers in Oklahoma alleging Air Evac charges improper fees for its services.
Air Evac's district court dismissal of putative class action affirmed in Eighth Circuit
Jones Day represents Global Medical Response, Inc. subsidiary Air Evac EMS, Inc. ("Air Evac") against claims filed on behalf of a putative class of consumers in Arkansas alleging Air Evac charges improper fees for its services.
Air Evac wins motion for summary judgment and permanent injunction against the State of Texas
Jones Day represents Global Medical Response, Inc. subsidiary Air Evac EMS, Inc. ("Air Evac"), an air ambulance carrier, in a federal lawsuit against various Texas state officials who administer the state's workers'-compensation system.
ANSYS acquires OPTIS
Jones Day advised ANSYS, Inc., the global leader and innovator of engineering simulation software, on its acquisition of OPTIS, a premier provider of software for scientific simulation of light, human vision, and physics-based visualization.
Med-Trans wins full dismissal of consumer class action in Florida
Jones Day represents a network of life-saving emergency air transport carriers that includes Med-Trans Corp. (“Med-Trans”) against claims filed in various jurisdictions around the United States alleging that air ambulance carriers charge improper fees for their services.
Riverside acquires Spirion
Jones Day represented The Riverside Company in connection with its investment in and related financing of Spirion (f/k/a Identity Finder), a St. Petersburg, Florida-based provider of IT security and data privacy software.
Rivian receives strategic investment from Sumitomo Corporation of Americas
Jones Day advised Rivian in the strategic investment by Sumitomo Corporation of Americas.
EMERAM Capital Partners invests in E.care
Jones Day represented EMERAM Capital Partners GmbH in connection with its investment in E.care bvba, a developer of software supporting patient treatment processes in hospitals.
EMERAM Capital Partners invests in Meona
Jones Day represented EMERAM Capital Partners GmbH in connection with its investment in Meona GmbH, a Germany-based innovative clinical software leader.
TesTeachers sold to ExamFX
Jones Day advised TesTeachers, LLC in its sale to ExamFX, a division of Ascend Learning, LLC, a provider of online educational services to test, assess, and certify individuals for various professional services, such as insurance, nursing, financial advising, and others.
Texas Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists sold to Veterinary Specialists of North America LLC and its affiliates
Jones Day advised Texas Gulf Coast Veterinary Specialists, P.L.L.C. in its sale of substantially all of its assets to Veterinary Specialists of North America LLC and its affiliates, part of the Compassion-First Pet Hospitals network and a portfolio company of Quad-C.
naviHealth acquires Curaspan
Jones Day advised naviHealth Inc., a Cardinal Health company, in its acquisition of Curaspan Health Group Inc., a privately held leading provider of care transition tools for hospitals and post-acute healthcare providers.
naviHealth acquires RightCare Solutions
Jones Day represented Cardinal Health and its subsidiary, naviHealth, Inc., in connection with the acquisition of RightCare Solutions, Inc., a health care decision support software service provider specializing in hospital discharge planning software and readmissions management.
BlackBerry acquires Good Technology for $425 million
Jones Day advised BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, in its acquisition of Good Technology for $425 million in cash.
Manufacturing company seeks advice on potential employee appropriation of data
Jones Day assisted a manufacturing company with assessing legal compliance obligations in connection with an employee's access to company data.
Energy provider obtains counsel on newly enacted state data breach notification laws
Jones Day advised a leading energy provider on newly enacted state data breach notification laws in the wake of stalled efforts in Congress to enact a national data breach notification law.
- January 2017Client Confidentiality in the Digital Age: Cybersecurity Ethics and Risk Mitigation for Lawyers, Houston Bar Association
- October 2014Practical Considerations in Developing a Cyber Incident Response and Compliance Program, Chapter 16, Corporate Law and Practice, Corporate Counsel Institute 2014, Practicing Law Institute
- November 13, 2018Privacy and Security for Lawyers: Legal and Ethical Guidelines for Managing Evolving Risks, Houston Association of Women Lawyers
- November 8, 2018Hot Topics in Open Source Licensing, Three Emerging Technology Fields That Will Change Your IP Practice.
- November 7, 2018Recent California Privacy Regulations, CISO Executive Network
- October 24, 2018In-House Counsel Symposium, Houston Volunteer Lawyers
- October 23, 2018Privacy Law, Guest Lecturer at Internet Law Class, University of Houston Law Center
- October 3, 2018Data-Centric Security, CISO Executive Network
- August 22, 2018Cloud Security and Third-Party Risk Management, CISO Executive Network
- March 28, 2018Security Visibility, Monitoring, and Incident Response, CISO Executive Network
- January 31, 2018Managing Vulnerabilities and Threats, CISO Executive Network
- October 26, 2017Access Management, CISO Executive Network
- September 21, 2017Security Visibility & Incident Response, CISO Executive Network
- May 12, 2017Client Confidentiality in the Digital Age, Texas District & County Attorneys Association
- May 10, 2017Eliminating the Weakest Link: Cybersecurity for Lawyers, Moms-in-Law Quarterly Luncheon
- April 20, 2017Identity: The Human Factor, CISO Executive Network
- March 9, 2017The Endpoint: How to Protect Vulnerable IoT Devices from Data Attacks, CISO Executive Network
- January 12, 2017Client Confidentiality in the Digital Age: Cybersecurity Ethics and Risk Mitigation for Lawyers, Houston Bar Association
- September 15, 2016Eliminating the Weakest Link: Cybersecurity Ethics and Risk Mitigation for Lawyers
- December 9, 2015Asian American Bar Association Panel Discussion: Is Your Data Safe? How to Prevent Data Breaches and Respond to Them After You've Been Hacked
- December 8, 2015Center for Professional Education Joint SEC and Oil & Gas Conference: Cybersecurity, Data Breaches, and SEC Disclosures
- University of Houston (J.D. cum laude 2006; Articles Editor, Houston Law Review; Class rank: Top 10%); The University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A. with honors 2003)
- Texas; U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas; and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
"On the Rise" Professional Excellence Honoree, Texas Lawyer (2018)
"Rising Star" in Civil Litigation, Texas Super Lawyers (2013-2016)
Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation