Bruce Olcott has a broad range of experience in communications law and policy. His practice focuses on regulatory and transactional issues involving wireless and wireline services, including satellite, cellular, internet, fiber-optic, and broadband communications technologies. Bruce has assisted clients in developing innovative commercial and private communications services and in securing domestic and international authorizations for the acquisition, construction, and operation of networks. He represents clients in rulemakings and consultations before regulatory authorities, often seeking the elimination of legal and regulatory barriers to the provision of new communications services.
Bruce has represented clients in the acquisition, auction, licensing, and leasing of spectrum (frequencies); coordination of spectrum sharing agreements; resolution of interference disputes; and securing carriage and transmission capacity on satellite, wireless, and telecommunications networks. He has assisted clients in negotiations with network operators; wireless carriers; cable operators; tower, equipment, and service suppliers; programmers; satellite operators and manufacturers; and launch service providers.
Bruce advises clients on regulatory and licensing requirements maintained by countries throughout the world, including regulations governing broadband data, VoIP, and e-commerce services, and the operation of satellite, fiber-optic, and undersea cable networks. He has secured operating licenses, equipment certifications, and experimental test authorizations; government approvals for the placement of towers, burying of cable ducts, use of pole attachments, and construction of networks; and international orbital registrations for satellite networks.
Bruce also handles transactions and regulatory issues involving broadcast television and radio stations. Prior to his legal practice, he served in management and operational capacities at broadcast television stations and a cable television network.
Sending a Clear Signal: A Case Study in Using International Treaties to Promote U.S. Telecommunications Policy
OFAC Sanctions Update: U.S. Government Authorizes Sanctions Related to Malicious Cyber-Related Activities, Encourages Telecom Investment in Cuba
- November 2016A New Sheriff in Town: Newly Regulated Broadband ISPs Get a First Look at FCC-Style Privacy Rules
- August 2016Sending a Clear Signal: A Case Study in Using International Treaties to Promote U.S. Telecommunications Policy
- July 2016EU Telecoms Regulators Consult on Draft Net Neutrality Guidelines
- June 2016Third Time's a Charm for Net Neutrality: D.C. Circuit Upholds FCC's Reclassification of Broadband
- January 2016Not Just the Cost of Doing Business: Large FCC Fine Spotlights Risks from Two-Way Radios
- July 2015Ofcom Consults on Proposed Shake-Up of UK Telecoms Market
- April 2015EU's Accelerated M&A Activity in Telecom and Tech Sectors Prompts Regulatory Questions
- April 2015OFAC Sanctions Update: U.S. Government Authorizes Sanctions Related to Malicious Cyber-Related Activities, Encourages Telecom Investment in Cuba
- February 2015FCC Doubles Down on Open Internet: Title II Regulation Brings Bright Line Rules for Broadband Providers
- February 2015New Telecommunications Privacy Rules for U.S. Broadband Providers
- December 2014TCPA Plaintiff Gave Consent to Calls Based on Prior Class Action Settlement
- November 2014Recent Developments in Myanmar's New Telecommunications Law
- November 2014TCPA Reform Heats Up: Opt Out Required for Solicited Faxes, and a Court Decision Pulls Back on Autodialers
- October 2014FCC Issues Massive $10 Million Fine in its First-Ever Data Security Enforcement Action
- July 2014Federal Communications Commission May Soon Return Calls to Clarify Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- July 2014Federal Communications Commission Requests Comments on Effectiveness of Cybersecurity Recommendations
- May 2014Food, Dietary Supplement & Cosmetics Regulatory Update, Issue 6
- May 2014Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Regulatory Update, Issue 6
- April 2014The Passive Regulator: How the FAA's Failure to Act Affects the Development of Drone Technology
- June 10, 2014The Growing Commercial Use of Very Small Satellites, panel moderator, The ABA Forum on Air & Space Law, Space Law: Current and Future Issues
- March 27, 2014Best Practices in VSAT Spectrum Management, instructor, United States Telecommunications Training Institute.
- October 24, 2013Promoting Universal Service – The Role for Satellites, instructor, United States Telecommunications Training Institute
- March 17, 2013Addressing the IMT Threat to Satellite Spectrum, Global VSAT Forum Senior Executive Summit
- March 15, 2012Receiver Standards – Revisiting the Possible Mandate, Satellite 2012 Conference/GVF Interference Prevention Summit
- March 15, 2010Regulatory Challenges of Merging Broadband Satellite & Wireless into a Unified Value Chain, GVF Summit, Satellite 2010 Conference
- July 15, 2009Introduction to the Broadband Initiatives Program, Broadband Technology Opportunities Program, and State Broadband Data and Development Grant Program, presented during the Broadband Buildout Provisions of the Stimulus Package Telebriefing, Law Seminars International
- March 24, 2009International Satellite Regulatory Issues, GVF Vertical Markets Summit, Satellite 2009 Conference
- November 6, 2008Satellite Communications for the Oil and Gas Industry, the Offshore Communications Conference
- March 5, 2008700 MHz Auction in the United States: Lessons Learned, Policy Tracker European Digital Divide Conference
- February 25, 2008Cracking Vertical Markets: The Legal Implications, Global VSAT Summit, Satellite 2008 Conference
- January 18, 2005The Fight for Spectrum – Satisfying the Needs of New Technology, Pacific Telecommunications Conference
- January 16, 2005Country Market Update: What’s Open and What’s Not, presented at Pacific Telecommunications Conference, GVF Asia-Pac Satcoms Forum
- January 11, 2004Effecting Satellite Competition: The Path to the Liberalised Market, Pacific Telecommunications Conference.
- November 19, 2003The Cost of Benefits; The Benefits of Cost? Can You Pay Too Little For Satellite Services?, SatCon – The Satellite Application Technology Conference & Expo
- February 11, 2003The Satellite Forecasters: Is the Sky Falling?, Satellite 2003 Conference
- January 18, 2003China’s Satellite Market in 2003, The Global VSAT Forum/Pacific Telecommunications Conference – China Telecom Workshop
- November 19, 2002Let’s Make a Deal: The Satellite Capacity Proposition, SatCon – The Satellite Application Technology Conference & Expo
- March 5, 2002Satellite Market Entry in China, presented at The Global VSAT Forum International Satellite Industry Summit
- Columbia University (J.D. with honors 1995; Senior Editor, Columbia Law Review); San Jose State University (B.A. 1983)
- District of Columbia
Legal 500 (2012-2014; 2016-2017)
Chambers USA (2012-2014)