Vishal Khatri is an intellectual property lawyer with more than 15 years of experience representing clients in high-stakes, bet-the-company patent litigation and procurement matters. He routinely represents clients in matters before U.S. district courts, the United States International Trade Commission (ITC), and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). He also has advised clients regarding enforcement practices before U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Whether counseling clients in developing and maintaining their strategic international patent portfolios, preparing their portfolios for litigation, or litigating against marketplace competitors, clients value Vishal's ability to develop a comprehensive strategy targeted toward achieving their business objectives. He has successfully obtained hundreds of patents (including design patents) for clients, many of which have been successfully litigated, licensed, or sold. He also counsels clients on litigation avoidance strategies and intellectual property due diligence in connection with product launch, financing, acquisition, and public offering transactions.
Vishal has experience with technologies such as wired and wireless communications, cellular device technologies, GPS, databases, cryptography, memory devices, LEDs, television transmission and display, ASIC fabrication and packaging, computer networking, medical devices, optics, consumer electronics, automotive technologies, and personal care products.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Vishal designed power plants, developed software solutions for the federal government, and optimized cellular networks. He is a member of the International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association (ITCTLA) and the PTAB Bar Association and a regular contributor to the Firm's ITC and PTAB blogs.
HyTech Power develops patent strategy, enters into joint venture for automobiles with Joe Clark, co-founder of Aviation Partners
Jones Day is assisting HyTech Power LLC in the development of their global patent strategy directed to engine performance and emissions abatement technology for off-road vehicles and on-road vehicles, which has led to a new joint venture with Joe Clark, the co-founder of Aviation Partners, Inc.
NEC Display Solutions defends against attempt to bar importation of LED displays
Jones Day is defending NEC Display Solutions (both the Japanese parent and a U.S. subsidiary) against allegations brought by Ultravision Technologies, LLC (“Ultravision”) that certain of NEC Display Solutions' modular LED display panels and related components infringe two patents allegedly owned by Ultravision.
TDK acquires InvenSense for $1.3 billion
Jones Day advised TDK Corporation in its $1.3 billion acquisition of InvenSense, Inc.
Camus Wine & Spirits Group successfully defends against parallel patent infringement allegations
Jones Day successfully defended Camus Wine & Spirits Group, an international liquor and spirits manufacturer, and its distributor against patent infringement allegations in the Southern District of New York, the Eastern District of Texas, and the International Trade Commission.
Intersil resolves Section 337 action involving integrated circuit technology
Jones Day defended Intersil Corporation and related affiliates Techwell, Inc. and Zilker Labs in a Section 337 action before the ITC relating to six patents for integrated circuit technology.
Selco Construction Services et al. defends claims of infringement over patents directed to guardrail end terminal assemblies
Jones Day represented SPIG Industry, LLC, SPIG Industry, Inc., and Selco Construction Services, Inc. in patent infringement litigation over patents directed to guardrail end terminal assemblies and associated counterclaims.
BMW successfully enforces trademark infringement claims against US Auto Parts Network
Jones Day successfully represented BMW of North America, LLC in unauthorized use by US Auto Parts Network, Inc. of the BMW word mark, use of "BMW" in domain name and the use of Internet links to unauthorized BMW parts dealers.
International medical device manufacturer is third party in patent and antitrust dispute involving pulse oximetry products
Jones Day is representing an international medical device manufacturer as a third party in a patent and antitrust dispute concerning its pulse oximetry products.
IBM defends against patent infringement charges relating to data management on computer networks
Jones Day represented defendant IBM in a patent infringement case relating to management of data caching on computer networks.
AmTran Technology defends against ITC investigation involving digital transmission of data to televisions
Jones Day represented AmTran Technology Co., Ltd., a Taiwan-based electronics supplier, in an ITC Section 337 investigation involving digital transmission of data to televisions.
The following represents experience prior to joining Jones Day:
Fabio Perini, S.p.A.
In re Certain Tissue Converting Machinery, Including Rewinders, Tail Sealers, Trim Removers, and Components Thereof (ITC 337-TA-548)
Vishay Inc. (threatened infringement - license)
Fedders Consumer Electronic (asset sale)
ITC Issues General Exclusion Order Based on Uncontested Evidence of Widespread Infringement, ITC Blog
ITC Allows Respondent to Amend Response to Complaint to Include Defense of Inequitable Conduct, ITC Blog
- May 2018General Exclusion Orders: Enjoin Everyone, ITC Blog
- May 2018New ITC Rules Take Effect June 7, 2018, ITC Blog
- April 2018Draft Your Patents Carefully, PTAB Litigation Blog
- April 2018ITC Affirms Termination of Investigation Based on Expiration of Patent, ITC Blog
- April 2018ITC On Pace for Record-Breaking 2018, ITC Blog
- April 2018Jason E. Kearns Sworn In as ITC Commissioner, ITC Blog
- March 2018ALJ Terminates Investigation Based on Impending Expiration of Patent, ITC Blog
- March 2018Clark S. Cheney Joins ITC, ITC Blog
- December 2017Catch Me If You Can: Litigating Artificial Intelligence Patents
- August 2017PTAB Requires Identification of Structure for Function for Means-Plus-Function Terms, PTAB Litigation Blog
- March 2017Internet Advertising Claims Deemed Not Eligible for Covered Business Method Patent Review, PTAB Litigation Blog
- May 2016ITC Commissioners Split on the Right Approach to Issuance of Cease and Desist Orders
- March 2016Federal Circuit Creates Patent Agent Privilege
- March 2016ITC Refuses to Stay Investigation Pending Inter Partes Review
- March 14, 2016ITC Refuses to Stay Investigation Pending Inter Partes Review, PTAB Litigation Blog
- March 2016Proposed Bill Seeks to Keep "Patent Trolls" Out of the ITC
- February 2016ITC Requires Strict Adherence to Filing Requirements
- January 2016ITC Clarifies Standards for Demonstrating Economic Prong of Domestic Industry Requirements
- January 2016ITC Finds Expenditures for Discontinued Products Satisfy the Domestic Industry Requirement
- November 2015Federal Circuit Holds that the ITC Lacks Jurisdiction Over Electronic Transmission of Digital Data
- August 2015Digital Health Law Update Vol. 1 Issue 4
- The Catholic University of America (J.D. cum laude 2007); George Mason University (M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Certification in Communications 2003); The George Washington University (B.S. in Electrical Engineering 1999)
- District of Columbia, Virginia, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office