Samir Kaushik navigates multinational companies through government enforcement actions and investigations that could impact their health and reputation and counsels them on related compliance matters. He also defends companies, officers, and directors in securities litigation. Texas Super Lawyers has recognized Samir as a Rising Star for the past six years.
He regularly represents clients in criminal and civil proceedings in response to alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), U.K. Bribery Act, accounting fraud, currency manipulation, financial fraud, securities fraud, and anti-money laundering violations. He also has substantial experience conducting and managing sensitive internal investigations on behalf of audit committees and management. His matters have covered issues in over 20 countries on five continents. In the area of corporate compliance, Samir advises companies on monitorships, risk assessments, disclosures, and compliance with securities, anticorruption, AML, and data privacy laws. He also conducts training sessions and writes and speaks on enforcement and compliance. He co-leads the Firm's FCPA Year In Review.
As an accomplished securities litigator, Samir also helps companies litigate hostile takeover attempts, securities fraud actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits, and disputes arising from mergers and acquisitions. His trial experience includes prosecuting several cases successfully before judges and juries as a municipal prosecutor through Jones Day's association with a local city attorney's office.
In 2015, Samir was selected for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellows Program, and he is a founding member of the Dallas South Asian Bar Association. Before law school, Samir worked as a strategy consultant in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Department of Justice FCPA Pilot Program Outlines Incentives for Corporate Self-Disclosure and Cooperation: What's New and Will It Matter?
Important New Principles Emerge from UK's First-Ever Deferred Prosecution Agreement and US DOJ Declination
- March 2017Lessons from a Record Year for Whistleblowers, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- January 2017FCPA 2016 Year in Review
- May 25, 2016DOJ Aims for Corporate Transparency, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- February 21, 2016Downturn in FCPA Enforcement Only Temporary, National Law Journal
- December 2012Insider Trading Enforcement: The SEC's Focus on Corporate Insiders, PLI's Course Handbook on Annual Disclosure Documents 2012
- November 8, 2010Understanding the SEC’s New Executive Compensation Disclosure Rules, Bloomberg Securities Law Report
- February 2018Why Effective Compliance Programs Matter, SMU Certificate Program in Ethics and Compliance
- May 2017Ethical and Practical Issues in Internal Investigations
- August 2016Anti-Money Laundering and OFAC Compliance Training
- February 16-17, 2015The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Compliance Training
- July 16, 2014Lawyers of Color Hot List Awards Reception
- August 29, 2013Business Beyond Borders: Protecting Your Companies from FCPA Violations in High-Risk Markets
- August 2, 2013The FCPA, Summary of Recent Developments & Impact on the M&A Environment
- January 26, 2012Securities Fraud Class Action Trends and Rule 10b-5 Actions
- December 20, 2011Section 10(b) and Rule 10b-5 Securities Fraud Actions
- Washington University in St. Louis (J.D. cum laude 2008; Editorial Board, Washington University Law Review; Judge Samuel M. Breckinridge Appellate Advocacy Prize; Winner, Wiley B. Rutledge Moot Court; Winner, D.M. Harish International Moot Court; Honor Scholar Award); Yale University (B.A. 2003)
- Texas and U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
D Magazine — "Best Lawyers Under 40" (2019)
Member, Law360 Compliance Advisory Board (2019)
Member of the Global Investigations Team of the Year, American Lawyer Global Legal Awards (2016)
Member of the Dispute Resolution Team of the Year, Legal Business Awards (2016)
- Judicial Extern to Chief Judge Carol E. Jackson, United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri (Spring 2007)