Thomas Bouvet has more than 20 years of experience in patent, trade secret, and plant variety rights litigation and is listed regularly among the best patent lawyers in France. His track record in enforcing and defending patents, for start-up or international groups, is significant.
Thomas has worked as lead trial counsel on high-profile matters in almost all fields of technology, including life sciences (drugs, biotechnologies, diagnostics, medical devices), chemistry, and electronics, as well as transportation, construction material, mechanics, consumer products, and leisure goods, most of them with a cross-border dimension. He advises on specific issues raised by supplementary protection certificates and standard essential patents. Thomas works closely with clients to establish policies regarding the protection of trade secrets or compensation for employee inventions and is regularly involved in the drafting of research, transfer of technology, and licence agreements. He arranges customs seizure of counterfeiting goods.
Thomas is a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI) (member of the programme committee; co-chair of the standing committee on biotechnologies and plant breeders rights), Rhône-Alpes Group for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRAPI, former president), the European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), and the French association of industrial property litigators (AAPI). He is an administrator of Centre Paul Roubier.
Thomas is the author of a doctoral thesis on "The Legal Protection of Vegetal Innovation" and coauthor of Saisie-contrefaçon (Dalloz, 3nd edition 2013) and Droit et pratique des voies d'exécution (Dalloz Action, 2004-2005). He is also author of the French chapter of Global Patent Litigation: How and Where to Win (Bloomberg BNA, 2014).
The following represents experience acquired prior to joining Jones Day.
Life Sciences Highlights
Defended medical device manufacturer in trade secret violation action regarding bone cement technology (2016).
Represented drug manufacturer suing three generic companies over drug for the treatment of schizophrenia (2016).
Represented large cosmetic company in defending patent infringement action on the treatment of atopic skin disorders (2016).
Represented large cosmetic company in defending patent infringement action on sun protection product (2016).
Represented medical device manufacturer in patent infringement action over urinary catheters (2016).
Represented big pharma manufacturer in patent entitlement action regarding G-CSF (2015).
Represented medical device manufacturer in patent infringement action over dental braces (2015).
Represented pharmaceutical company in patent infringement matter over allergy immunotherapy treatment (2012).
Advised French public health research institute in relation to patent entitlement actions regarding age-related macular degeneration (2012).
Represented major diagnostic company in patent infringement action regarding DNA detection kit for HIV infection (2010).
Represented original drug manufacturer in patent infringement action over compound manufacturing process (2006).
Represented a patentee in infringement action over speed radar detectors (2016).
Represented patentee in infringement action relating to EMV standard (non-essential patent) (2016).
Represented defendant in patent infringement action relating to a secured payment means (2016).
Advised patentee in contemplated infringement action in relation to LTE, WiFi, and DVB-T standards (2015).
Defended manufacturer of hyaluronic acid in patent infringement action (2014).
Represented defendant in patent infringement action regarding set-top box for VOD and Internet access (2011).
Advised TV broadcasting company in dispute based on 150+ patent portfolio (2009).
Represented company in large trade secret violation action regarding insecticide incorporated polyethylene (2015).
Represented major chemical product manufacturer in patent infringement action over the treatment of cellulite by intelligent textile (2015).
Represented major chemical company in patent action over automotive catalytic converters.
Represented helicopter manufacturing company in patent infringement action regarding landing gears (2015).
Represented floor panel manufacturer in patent infringement action (2016).
Represented major motorcycle manufacture in patent infringement action over scooter and motorcycle injectors and body parts (2016).
Represented patentee in infringement action over product packing robot (2014).
Defended manufacturer of hot end glass molding quality control device (2014).
Represented engine manufacturer in patent infringement action over power generator (2014).
Represented major equipment manufacturer in patent infringement action regarding HPLC devices (2011).
Defended leading ski lift manufacturer in patent infringement action over breaks control (2014).
Defended windscreen wipers manufacturer in patent infringement action (2014).
Defended manufacturer of gabions in patent infringement action (2012).
Employee Invention Highlights
Represented employer in claims for additional remuneration regarding 400+ patents (2016).
Represented employer in more than 15 actions for the payment of additional remuneration in most technical fields before the CNIS or national courts.
Advised clients in the drafting of employee invention policies in industry fields including chemistry, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, metals, and plant breeding.
Plant Breeders' Rights Highlights
Represented PBR owner in infringement action over apples, apricots, salads, shallots, and strawberries.
Represented PBR owner in infringement action over cut roses.
Arranged major custom seizure of cut flowers and grapes.
Represented PBR owner in nullity action before the community plant variety office.
Drafted PBR licence agreements in the apple and tobacco industries.
- November 7-8, 2019ERA, Annual conference on European patent law: recent trends regarding life science inventions
- September 20, 2019SPC Blog Seminar
- June 24, 2019Start-up et PI; Nouvelles économies et biens immatériels; colloque de l'AMP CEIPI
- May 16, 2019Intelligence artificielle et propriété intellectuelle (Artificial Intelligence and IP) GRAPI
- March 21, 2019Trade Secrets: A comparative analysis from US, Japan and EU LL.M. Univ-LYON 3 Conference
- February 7, 2019Protection des secrets d'affaires Trade Secret Protection Centre Paul Roubier
- February 1, 2019Italy meets France in IP: a story of food and fashion, AIPPI
- June 6, 2018Les secrets d'affaires: de la directive à sa transposition (Trade secret protection from the Directive to its implementation) Centre Paul Roubier
- 30 novembre 2017Les rendez-vous de la propriété intellectuelle – 4ème volet : La protection des secrets d'affaires
- 29 juin 2017Les rendez-vous de la propriété intellectuelle - 2ème volet : Comment se préparer à des saisies contrefaçon ou des saisies article 145 CPC ?
- 30 mars 2017Les rendez-vous de la propriété intellectuelle - 1er volet : Gestion des créations de salariés
- 28 mai 2017Les conséquences du Brexit en matière de brevets d'invention (Centre Paul Roubier)
- February 2, 2017La juridiction unifiée du brevet et le brevet européen à effet unitaire. Centre Paul Roubier
- November 15, 2016La stratégie de défense des droits en Europe
- September 21, 2016Skinny Labels… wide impact, AIPPI
- September 21, 2016Skinny Labels… wide impact
- April 20, 2016Patents on plants, Representation of North-Rhine Westphalia to the EU
- April 20, 2016Patents on plants, Representation of North-Rhine Westphalia to the EU
- February 2, 2016La juridiction unifiée du brevet européen à effet unitaire
- January 28, 2016Inventions de salariés : actualité et contentieux
- March 20, 2015UPC Update and conclusions for national litigation, German-French-Polish IP Seminar 2015, AIPPI
- January 1, 2015Global patent litigation: How and where to win - Tokyo, Seoul, Pekin, Shangaï, Suzhou, Global Patent Litigation: Asian tour
- Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines (Doctor of Law 2002); Université Jean Moulin Lyon III (Master 2 in Business Law 1994); The University of Georgia (U.S.A.) (LL.M. 1993)
WIPR Leaders handbook (2017)
Listed regularly among the best IP-patent lawyers in France in Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Who's Who Legal, The Legal 500 EMEA, and IAM Patent 1000 – The World's Leading Patent Professionals
Listed as a leading individual in Legal 500: "Jones Day impresses clients with its ‘promptness, short turnaround times and clear communication,’ which one client finds personified in practice co-head Thomas Bouvet"
- English, French, Spanish