Simon Hansen focuses his practice on commercial litigation and product liability defense in state and federal courts. He is experienced in many aspects of civil litigation, including cross-examining fact witnesses at trial, drafting and arguing motions, taking depositions, and preparing expert witnesses. Simon currently assists with Jones Day's defense of smoking and health lawsuits brought against R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. He has been a member of trial teams in more than a dozen cases tried to verdict, including multiple trials that resulted in complete defense verdicts.
Simon has also assisted in a variety of environmental matters. He has helped advise clients on complex environmental compliance issues and prepare comments on EPA rulemakings and other state and federal regulatory developments.
Simon is a barrister in the Bleckley Inn of Court.
R.J. Reynolds wins complete defense verdict reversing $23.4 billion punitive damages award
On June 24, 2019, following eleven days of trial, a jury in Pensacola, Florida returned a defense verdict in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a retrial of a wrongful death action.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in Gordon ''Engle progeny'' trial
On October 5, 2015, a jury in Punta Gorda, Florida returned a verdict favorable to Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company following 10 days of trial and approximately 4 hours of deliberation in an "Engle progeny" lawsuit.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in Lennox "Engle progeny" trial
On February 11, 2015, following six days of trial and approximately five hours of deliberation, a jury in Tampa, Florida returned a verdict in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a personal injury action finding that the smoker was not an Engle class member.
OG&E wins motion to dismiss in suit regarding alleged violations of Clean Air Act
Jones Day assisted Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company ("OG&E") in securing the dismissal of a declaratory judgment action filed by the Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA") and intervenor Sierra Club (collectively "Plaintiffs") for alleged violations of the Clean Air Act.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in Starbuck ''Engle progeny'' lawsuit
On December 16, 2014, following two weeks of trial, a jury in Jacksonville, Florida returned a verdict in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a personal injury action.
How To Turn Green Associates Into Killer Trial Lawyers, Law360
- August 11, 2015How To Turn Green Associates Into Killer Trial Lawyers, Law360
- Spring 2015Climate Report Spring 2015
- February 2015Obama Administration Seeks to Cut Methane Emissions
- Winter 2015The Climate Report
- Fall 2014The Climate Report
- Summer 2014The Climate Report
- June 2014EPA Issues Flexible Standards for Cooling Water Intake Structures at Existing Manufacturing Facilities and Power Plants
- June 2014EPA Proposes Clean Power Plan for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Existing Electric Generating Units
- Emory University (J.D. with honors 2013; Executive Managing Editor, Emory Law Journal); St. John's University, Minnesota (B.A. in History magna cum laude 2008)
- Georgia, Florida, and U.S. Virgin Islands