Pierre Heitzmann's main areas of practice are international arbitration and complex cross-border litigation related to, inter alia, construction and engineering projects, joint ventures, investment disputes, license agreements, distribution agreements, and share and purchase agreements. He has represented private companies, sovereigns, and state-owned entities in international disputes.
Pierre acts both as arbitrator and counsel in international arbitration proceedings, including but not limited to investment treaty and commercial arbitration proceedings under the ICC, ICSID, DIAC, SCC, DIFC-LCIA, and UNCITRAL rules. He is registered with the DIFC Courts with full rights of audience. Pierre's recent representations include representing a Saudi client in DIFC-LCIA proceedings relating to the construction of a power plant in Saudi Arabia; representing a telecom investor in a DIFC Courts proceeding and in a parallel arbitration proceeding relating to an investment in Iraq; representing a Saudi company against its subcontractor in relation to tunneling works in Saudi Arabia; advising the Organization for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa (OHADA) in reforming its Arbitration Act and in drafting its first Mediation Act; representing a Luxembourg company that specializes in the financing and construction of solar projects in ICC proceedings in Geneva; representing a Luxembourg holding company in the banking sector against Cameroon in ICSID proceedings; and representing a pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration in New York in relation to a development agreement.
Pierre is the author of many articles and case notes published in arbitration periodicals. Before joining the Dubai Office, he was a lecturer on international contract law at the Paris Institute of Political Sciences (Sciences Po).
OHADA reforms arbitration and mediation laws
Jones Day is advising the Organization for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa, OHADA, in reforming its arbitration act and creating a mediation act.
Leading French industrial group obtains recognition and enforcement of ICC award in Morocco against two Moroccan companies
Jones Day successfully obtained the enforcement of an ICC award in Morocco for a leading French industrial group against two Moroccan companies following the termination of a contract for the delivery of a cement plant.
Leading French automotive manufacturer obtains ICC award against Korean company for breach of joint venture agreement
Jones Day obtained an ICC award issued in Tokyo for a leading French automotive manufacturer against a Korean company for breach of a joint venture agreement and misappropriation of know-how.
International contractor arbitrates joint venture agreement involving airport construction project in Dubai
Jones Day is acting for an international contractor in a DIFC/LCIA arbitration related to the determination of a joint venture agreement relating to works carried out on an airport construction project in Dubai.
Japanese pharmaceutical company prevails in ICC arbitration
Jones Day successfully represented a Japanese pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration with a U.S. pharmaceutical company regarding a contractual and intellectual property dispute in France.
Major construction company defends against ICC arbitration concerning gas pipeline in Qatar
Jones Day is acting for a major construction company in an ICC arbitration brought by a subcontractor in relation to additional works performed on a gas pipeline in Qatar.
Japanese pharmaceutical company arbitrates intellectual property dispute with U.S. company
Jones Day is representing a Japanese pharmaceutical company involved in an ICC arbitration with a U.S. pharmaceutical company regarding intellectual property rights.
Leading Japanese pharmaceutical company seeks compensation against generic manufacturers
Jones Day is representing a leading Japanese pharmaceutical company in claims against several generic manufacturers involving the launch of products in France.
Finnish industrial group in arbitration with a private investor group over the sale of a group of companies
Jones Day represented a Finnish industrial group in a dispute over the sale of a group of companies to a private investor group from the United Kingdom and France in a Frankfurt-based, ICC arbitration in English, under English and German law.
Onyx prevails in ICC arbitrations claiming breach of representations and warranties for waste facility purchased in Mexico
Jones Day represented Onyx S.A., a French subsidiary of Veolia Environnement involved in international waste management, with regard to a dispute that arose after it acquired a hazardous waste landfill in Mexico in 2000.
Hydropower generation company in ICC arbitration involving EPC contract dispute in Philippine hydroelectric project
Jones Day represented a German multinational in the hydropower generation business against a consortium of Italian companies in an ICC arbitration where the dispute arises out of a contract for part of the supply in connection with an engineering, procurement and construction contract for a hydroelectric and irrigation project in the Philippines relating to a claim for indemnity of performance guarantees.
European hydropower company involved in dispute with Italian general contractor concerning an indemnity agreement arising out of a hydroelectric project in the Philippines
Jones Day represented a European hydropower company in a US$ 6 million dispute under U.S. (New York) law concerning an indemnity agreement arising out of a hydroelectric project in the Philippines.
French company involved in ICC arbitration with a state-owned central European company in connection with a joint venture with a power generation company
Jones Day represented a French company in connection with a US$25 million dispute under the law of a central European country concerning a joint venture with a state-owned power generation company.
The 2011 French Arbitration Reforms In Comparative Perspective, Mealey's™, International Arbitration Report
- March 2017The 2017 ICC Expedited Rules- From Softball to Hardball?, Journal of International Arbitration
- 2009The International Chamber of Commerce, to Institutional Arbitration, Tasks and Powers of Different Arbitration Institutions, Schultess
- January 2006Le contrat de partenariat :a new form of French public private partnership allowing the use of arbitration to adjudicate disputes, The International Construction Law Review
- 25 novembre 2011Le nouveau règlement d'arbitrage de la CCI: les changements majeurs à prendre en compte pour la résolution de vos litiges
- May 22, 2008Arbitration and EC Competition Law - Legal effects on arbitral awards, Swedish Arbitration Association and Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce
- 9 novembre 2007L'entreprise en difficulté et l'arbitrage, Les modes alternatifs de règlement des litiges dans la vie de l'entreprise
- September 21, 2007Confidentiality and privileges in cross-border legal practice: the need for a global standard? ASA Annual Meeting
- August 23, 2007Insolvency Across the Borders: the Impact of Bankruptcy Proceedings on Arbitration Proceedings, AIJA Congress
- March 22, 2006Choice of Forum for Dispute Resolution (EFE) French Business Law in English
- December 8, 2005International Arbitration: arbitration agreements and the conduct of arbitral proceedings (EFE)
- June 23, 2005Dispute resolution in France (EFE) Paris, France
- March 24, 2005Arbitrage interne et international - Comment sécuriser la procédure arbitrale? Seminar organized by La Lettre des Juristes d'Affaires (Les Matinées-Débats)
- March 24, 2005Domestic and International Arbitration: keeping the procedure under control and ensuring the enforcement of the award (LJA/Lamy)
- Duke University (LL.M. 1996); Université de Paris II-Panthéon Assas (Master's in Construction and Real Estate Law 1993); Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po) (Diplôme 1992); University of Strasbourg (Maîtrise en droit des affaires 1990)
- Paris Bar
- English, French, Spanish