Jean-Pierre Harb has been practicing for more than 20 years in the areas of international commercial arbitration and construction law. He routinely represents clients in pre-arbitration phases (including Dispute Adjudication Boards [DABs] and mediations) and acts as lead counsel or co-counsel in ad hoc and institutional international arbitration proceedings (ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA, ICSID, AAA, SCC, OHADA, CRCICA, DIAC, Swiss Chambers). He also regularly acts as chairman, sole arbitrator, and party-appointed arbitrator in such proceedings. Jean-Pierre has been nominated to the panels of several arbitration institutions and has significant experience working in jurisdictions beyond France, particularly in the Middle East and Africa.
Jean-Pierre conducts arbitration in the fields of civil construction, engineering, procurement, oil and gas projects, aviation, hotel management, development projects, shareholders and joint venture disputes, distribution, and service agreements.
Jean-Pierre is a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and of various arbitration institutions.
He has been recognized by Chambers Global, Legal 500, and Who's Who Legal: Arbitration and Who's Who Legal: Arbitration — Future Leaders.
Oil company arbitrates dispute related to LNG plant
Jones Day is representing a major European oil company in a USD 1.5 billion ICC arbitration with an EPC contractor concerning delays and additional work in the turnkey construction of an oil and gas extraction and processing plant in North Africa.
Construction company arbitrates dispute relating to hook-up and commissioning contract for Kashagan offshore oil fields
A construction company represented by Jones Day successfully settled a dispute over claims for payment of variation orders and escalation rates in connection with commissioning and procurement work on the Kashagan offshore oil field in the North Caspian sea.
Investor resolves shareholder dispute over funding of power project in Africa
Jones Day represented an investor in an ICC arbitration brought by Swedish and Mauritian investors in connection with the funding and construction of a coal power plant in Senegal.
Chemical company resolve BIT dispute with South Asia state
Jones Day advised a chemical company and successfully settled a dispute with a South Asia state relating to claims under a bilateral investment treaty.
EPC Korean contractor disputes contract in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Jones Day advised a Korean EPC contractor and successfully settled the dispute relating to two major polypropylene projects in Saudi Arabia.
Consortium of construction companies in CRCICA arbitration in Egypt involving landmark project
Jones Day is representing a consortium of construction companies in CRCICA arbitration in Egypt, governed by Egyptian law, in relation to claims for variation and extension of time on a landmark project in Egypt.
Real estate developer and contractor defends against ICC arbitration in Geneva
Jones Day is acting for a real estate developer and a contractor in ICC arbitration in Geneva, governed by Qatari law, brought by an investor in relation to the construction and delivery of real estate properties in the Pearl Project in Doha, Qatar.
Major construction company defends against ICC arbitration concerning gas pipeline in Qatar
Jones Day is acting for a major construction company in an ICC arbitration brought by a subcontractor in relation to additional works performed on a gas pipeline in Qatar.
South African packaged goods company disputes merger in ICC arbitration
Jones Day is representing a major fast-moving consumer packaged goods company from South Africa in an ICC arbitration in a post merger dispute with a French food company.
The following represents experience acquired prior to joining Jones Day.
Acted for a construction company in various arbitrations relating to infrastructure projects in the Gulf and in Central Asia.
Acted for an Arab state-owned company in relation to post-award dispute in France.
Acted for a Central Asian bank in ICC arbitration in relation to a dispute over a demand guarantee and the sale of a factory.
Acted for a subcontractor in ad hoc arbitration against the main contractor in relation to caliper and cleaning issues of some sections of the "BTC pipeline."
Represented a French manufacturer of aircraft components in ICC arbitration against a major aircraft company.
Represented an oil & gas company in a dispute with an operator under a share production agreement in the Gulf.
Acted for the designer of a shipyard crane against a Chinese state-owned company in relation to breach of cooperation and confidentiality agreements and ownership of patent.
Acted for a Central Asian state in ad hoc (UNCITRAL) arbitration brought by a Swiss company pursuant to a bilateral investment treaty.
Represented a U.S. franchisor of a coaching program in ICC arbitration brought by a French franchisee.
Represented a major contractor in UNCITRAL arbitration against a Middle Eastern state in relation to the performance of an EPC contract.
Acted for two major airline companies in ICC arbitration involving European competition law issues.
Acted for a major French pharmaceutical company in ICC arbitration related to the termination of a license/distribution agreement.
Represented a major construction company in ICC arbitration brought by a subcontractor in relation to marine infrastructure works in the Gulf.
Acted for a major tobacco company in ad hoc arbitration brought by a licensee.
Acted for a French manufacturer of luxurious perfumes and cosmetics in ICC arbitration against a European distributor.
Acted in ICC proceedings for a Japanese manufacturer of baby car seats against a French supplier in relation to a dispute over defective products.
Represented a U.S. major cocoa company in ICC arbitration brought by a consultant.
Protecting Foreign Investments in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Southern African Development Community and its Protocol on Finance and Investment
Accession of the Democratic Republic of Congo to the Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards
- March 2015What to Expect When Arbitrating in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Transnational Dispute Management, Vol. 12, Issue 2
- April 2013The New Saudi Arbitration Law: Modernization to the Tune of Shari'a, Journal of International Arbitration, Vol 30 Issue 2
- 2012If All Else Fails - Putting Post-Award Remedies in Perspective, European and Middle Eastern Aribtration Review - GAR
- 2011The DynCorp Case - Journey of an International Arbitral Award, coauthor, IJAA, Vol 3 no 3
- 2011La nouvelle réforme de la loi sur l'arbitrage, Le Monde du Droit
- 2011La réforme de l'arbitrage en France, Opérations Immobilières
- 2011Les sanctions contre l'Iran, quel impact sur nos entreprises ? La Lettre des Juristes d'Affaires
- 2009International Arbitration Checklists, contributing author, Juris Publishing, 2d ed.
- 2009Les clauses d'arbitrage pathologiques, Journal des Sociétés
- 2008Enforcement of Awards, coauthor Chuan Thye Tan, International Arbitration Checklists, Second Edition, JurisNet
- 2007How French Law Treats Pathological Arbitration Clauses, Transnational Dispute Management
- 2006Faut-il toujours résoudre ses litiges par voie d'arbitrage ? Options Finance, No 890
- 2005France, A Striking Decision of the Supreme Court on French Jurisdiction to Appoint Arbitrators, CAA Arb. J, 136
- October 19, 2018Independence and Impartiality of Party Appointed Expert - PMG Seminar
- September 20, 2017From Construction Claims to Arbitration: lessons learned - CIArb/CRCICA Joint Conference
- February 29, 2016Arbitrators’ Responsibilities to Avoid Conflicts of Interest, 31st Annual Joint Symposium of Arbitrators, Queen Mary SIA / ICC Institute
- February 11, 2016Arbitrators and Specialized Knowledge - GAR Live
- October 28-November 1, 2015Emergency Arbitrator: An Arbitrator’s Perspective, UIA 59th Congress
- October 25-26, 2015Effective Management of Construction Arbitration, ICC - Society of Construction Law Annual Conference
- May 27, 2015Emergency Arbitration, ICC Asia Regional Conference
- May 25-27, 2015ICC Asia Regional Conference on International Arbitration - The Role of In-house Counsel in Arbitration Proceedings
- February 12, 2015Emergency Arbitration and Interim Measures, ICC YAF
- December 5, 2014Dispute Resolution in Aeronautics, ICC Conference
- October 20-22, 2014ICC PIDA: Selection and Appointment of Arbitrators
- June 27, 2014Ethics for counsel and parties in international arbitration, Chambre de Commerce franco-arabe
- March 10-12, 2014ICC 2nd annual MENA Conference
- December 5, 2013ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- June 11, 2013ICC PIDA Training on International Commercial Arbitration
- November 19-23, 2011Claim Procedure under FIDIC Contracts
- October 6, 2011The New ICC Rules
- June 9-11, 2011ICC arbitration rules, ICC Workshop
- May 12, 2011The new IBA Rules on the Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration
- April 4, 2011The Taking of Evidence in International Arbitration, MACI, Versailles University
- March 30, 2011New arbitration rules in France
- May 10, 2010Confidentiality in Arbitration, Petrobras seminar
- April 20, 2010Arbitration in the Gulf, Siemens seminar
- June 30, 2009Privilege and Arbitration
- March 26, 2009Reducing the Costs of Arbitration Proceedings
- February 6, 2009Enforcement of Arbitration Award, Barcelona Bar
- January 22, 2007Take the Witness, Juris Conference
- New York University (LL.M. 2001); University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (DESS 1997); University of Paris II-Panthéon Assas (DEA 1997); St. Joseph University of Beirut (Law Degree 1996)
"very strong" and impresses sources with his expertise and experience concerning disputes in the Middle East, particularly in the construction, infrastructure, and energy sectors (2017)
"very attentive to the needs of the client; he can quickly provide a thorough, in-depth analysis" (2016)
"serious, knowledgeable and detail-oriented, and takes the time to understand the matter" (2015)
The Legal 500:
"excellent arbitration management abilities and strong construction expertise" (2015)
- French, English, Arabic