Joe Goldman, who is co-head of Jones Day's worldwide Tax Practice, has more than 25 years of experience advising on the tax and business aspects of financial and international transactions. Joe counsels clients on M&A, post-acquisition integration of global businesses, restructurings, and intellectual property licensing. He also counsels clients in defending tax disputes, including IRS audits and appeals.
Joe regularly deals with clients in life sciences and other high-value technology industries. Representative engagements include counsel for Celgene in acquiring Abraxis, Pharmion, Gloucester, Receptos, and other investments and licenses and for Pfizer in acquiring more than $150 billion in businesses, disposing of $25 billion in non-core assets, and coordinating the global restructuring and local integration of the acquired businesses with the acquiring company.
Joe's primary concentration is in cross-border taxation, and he works with clients to maximize tax efficiency by developing specialized planning for foreign tax credits, transfer pricing, and profit repatriation. He also works with private equity clients, strategic investors, and hedge funds to structure their investments in the most tax-efficient manner.
Joe is a member of the American Bar Association (Taxation Section), the District of Columbia Bar, and the New York State Bar Association. Joe has lectured at conferences on numerous topics involving federal and international taxation.
Warning: U.S. Tax Regulations Impact Completed Foreign Sales Retroactively and Domestic Partnerships
- February 7, 2018Tax Cut and Jobs Act: What it Means for American Business?
- February 6, 2018How the Tax Cut and Jobs Act Impacts Your Business (A Legal Perspective)
- February 6, 2018How the TCJA Impacts Your Business (A Technical Perspective)
- February 6, 2018Jones Day's 2018 Speaker Series: The Tax Cuts and Job Act: What Does It Mean for American Business
- January 25, 2018The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: A Conference with the Government and Private Sector to Discuss the Legislation
- May 4, 2017Business Tax Reform, Tax Council of the Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity & Innovation
- April 20, 2017Preparing for a Sea Change: A Conference with the Government and Private Sector to Discuss Comprehensive Tax Reform
- March 23, 2017Financial Services Regulation in the Trump Administration
- March 17, 2017The Prospects For Business Tax Reform, FBA Tax Atlanta and the Atlanta Bar Tax Section
- April 27, 2016International Tax Seminar for Detroit Chapter of Tax Executives Institute
- June 22-23, 2015Ethics and the Tax Director, Tax Executives Institute, Region III Conference, Foxwoods Resort & Casino
- May 1, 2015It's Not All About the Tax: Business and Transactional Considerations in Implementing an Inversion of Publicly-Traded Multinational Group
- March 2015BIO Conference on International Taxation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- 2009Tax for the Non-Tax Lawyer, CLE Summit
- 20072007 International Tax Planning for the U.S. Taxpayer, Tax Executives Institute
- 2004Global Tax Planning for Intangibles, Tax Executives Institute
- 2004Intangibles Tax Planning, Tax Executives Institute
- 2004Cross-Border Finance, Tax Executives Institute
- New York University (LL.M. in Taxation 1997); Columbia University (J.D. 1991; Articles Editor, Journal of Transnational Law); Yeshiva University (B.S. in Accounting magna cum laude 1988)
- District of Columbia and New York
Ranked in Chambers USA (2013-2017): "Is always accessible, and willing to go the extra mile to get things turned around. He has a brilliant way of boiling things down for mere mortals like me to understand. You couldn't ask for a better service from him."
Notable practitioner, Chambers: tax: corporate & finance in USA — nationwide (2019)
Recommended in Legal 500 US: tax: US taxes: non-contentious (2017-2019)