Terri Chase, who has been representing employers for more than 20 years, focuses on obtaining results that advance her clients' strategic business goals. She defends corporate clients in complex labor and employment litigation, including class and multiplaintiff employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation lawsuits, wage and hour class and collective actions, and trade secret and restrictive covenant matters proceeding in federal and state courts, arbitration, and government agencies. Terri also proactively advises clients on compliance with the patchwork of federal, state, and local employment laws, conducting investigations and internal audits, developing best employment policies and practices, and the negotiation of employment issues that arise in the transactional conduct.
Terri has first-chaired the defense of a number of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and breach of contract claims to successful verdicts for her clients. She recently won a complete defense verdict in a New York State Supreme Court jury trial of harassment and retaliation claims. In a recent arbitration, Terri obtained a verdict dismissing the breach of contract claims asserted by a former employee against a large financial institution.
Terri also maintains an active pro bono practice, working closely the Lawyer's Alliance for New York on the representation of New York area not-for-profit clients. In addition, she has advised unaccompanied minors on immigration matters, including working in collaboration with corporate clients on such representations through organizations such as Kids in Need of Defense.
Memorial Sloan Kettering obtains summary judgment dismissal in discrimination action by former medical technician
Jones Day obtained summary judgment on behalf of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center dismissing a discrimination action by a former medical technician.
Charity organization resolves allegations of mismanagement of funds
Jones Day conducted an internal investigation of allegations that our client, a charity organization with a national donor base, had mismanaged its charitable funds.
Hilton Hotels prevails in discrimination and retaliation jury trial
After a multi-day jury trial, the jury unanimously ruled in favor of Jones Day client Hilton Hotels Corp. where a current employee at the Waldorf-Astoria alleged claims of discrimination on the basis of age discrimination and retaliation under the New York State and New York City Human Rights Laws.
Public company resolves allegations of hostile work environment
Jones Day investigated a complaint lodged against a senior-level employee of a public company of creating a hostile work environment.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering wins dismissal of age discrimination claims
Jones Day obtained dismissal of a former employee's discrimination claims on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
National restaurant chain obtains dismissal of FCRA class action
Jones Day represented a national restaurant chain in this class action lawsuit brought against them and one of their franchisees, alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering wins dismissal of national origin discrimination and retaliation claims at Second Circuit
Jones Day obtained dismissal of a former employee's discrimination and retaliation claims on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
CenterLight Health System resolves FLSA misclassification case
In July 2013, two former Marketing Representatives filed a complaint against Jones Day client CenterLight Health System in the Southern District of New York under the Fair Labor Standards Act and the New York Labor Law, alleging that they were misclassified as exempt employees.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering obtains summary judgment dismissal in discrimination action by former pharmacist
Jones Day obtained summary judgment on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center dismissing a discrimination action by a former pharmacist.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering obtains summary judgment dismissal in discrimination action by former case manager
Jones Day obtained summary judgment on behalf of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center dismissing a discrimination action by a former case manager.
Centerlight Health System obtains successful arbitration result against New York State Nurses Association
In this matter, registered nurses brought a class grievance against Jones Day client CenterLight Healthcare, Inc. on the grounds that a change in their responsibilities resulted in them being required to perform non-nursing duties in violation of the collective bargaining agreement.
CenterLight Health System obtains summary judgment in whistleblower case
Jones Day obtained summary judgment on behalf of CenterLight Health System dismissing a New York Labor Law whistleblower action by a former physician employee.
Nationally renowned medical facility successfully challenges OSHA claims
Jones Day represented a nationally renowned medical facility against a former employee who filed a charge with the Occupational Safety and Health Act alleging that she was terminated in retaliation for raising concerns regarding the safety of lab procedures.
CenterLight Health System obtains summary judgment in race discrimination case
Jones Day obtained summary judgment on behalf of CenterLight Health System dismissing a federal race discrimination action by a former nurse manager.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering obtains voluntary dismissal in ERISA case of wrongful denial of benefits claim
Jones Day represented a hospital pension plan against a current employee's claims of wrongful denial of eligibility to participate in the pension plan.
New York-based security services company negotiates collective bargaining agreement with SEIU
Jones Day represented a New York-based security services company in negotiations with Service Employees International Union, Local 32BJ, in a number of collective bargaining agreements for different sites in New York City.
Saks obtains dismissal of all discrimination claims in federal court
Jones Day represented Saks Fifth Avenue against former employee's claims of sexual and racial harassment and retaliatory termination.
Beth Abraham obtains favorable verdicts in four separate actions brought by former employee
Jones Day represented Beth Abraham Family of Health Services against a former employee's claims of race, gender and age discrimination, discrimination based on service as a federal juror, a hybrid Section 301/fair representation claim, and retaliation.
Prominent health care institution conducts institution-wide audit of wage and hour policies
Jones Day represented a prominent health care institution in connection with an institution-wide audit of their wage and hour policies and practices.
Texas-based hedge fund defeats motion for temporary restraining order
Jones Day represented a Texas-based hedge fund against breach of contract claims in an injunction proceeding relating to an employee's non-compete agreement with his former employer.
- September 2016Surviving the EEOC's and OFCCP's Latest Regulatory Agenda and Preparing for the New Charge Administration Process and Pay Data Collection Tool, 2016 Jones Day Labor & Employment Law Discussion Group
- Fourth Quarter 2013When are Nurses Exempt, AHA Health Care Labor Report
- July 2011SEC Issues Final Rules on Whistleblower Protections and Bounty Program, New York Law Journal
- July 2011United States Chapter, International Joint Ventures Manual
- June 20, 2016PLI: Age Discrimination Update
- June 12, 2014Social Media and Data Privacy: What You Need to Know
- June 12, 2014Trends in Privacy and Security Risks: What You Need to Know Now, JD MCLE Academy
- March 25, 2014Jones Day Health Care Labor Symposium
- November 7, 2013AHLA General Counsel's Meeting, Labor & Employment Law Update
- September 26, 2013Jones Day Fourth Annual Hospitality Labor & Employment Discussion Group
- May 16-17, 2013Jones Day Health Care Labor Symposium
- March 14, 2013Sex and Racial Discrimination: Cutting Edge Developments, 2013 NYU Workshop on Employment Law for Federal Judges
- May 10, 20122012 Hospitality Labor & Employment Discussion Group
- March 8, 2012Sex and Racial Discrimination: Cutting-Edge Developments, 2012 NYU Workshop on Employment Law for Federal Judges
- March 7, 2012Wage and Hour Developments for Hospital Employers
- June 29, 2011Roundtable on Designing and Implementing Compliance Systems in a Whistleblower and Bounty Hunter World, NYU Center for Labor and Employment Law
- March 17, 2011Sex and Racial Discrimination: Cutting-Edqe Developments, 2011 NYU Workshop on Employment Law for Federal Judges
- March 18, 2010Sex and Racial Discrimination: Cutting-Edge Developments, 2010 NYU Workshop on Employment Law for Federal Judges
- March 8-10, 2010Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Developments and Employment Law Developments, 2010 Health Care Labor & Employment Symposium
- Harvard University (J.D. 1994); Boston College (B.A. 1991)
- New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts
Chambers USA — consistently recognized as a leader in the field of labor & employment
Legal 500 US — consistently recognized as a leading lawyer in workplace and employment counseling
Fellow, College of Labor & Employment Lawyers
Lawyer's Alliance for New York, 2011 Cornerstone Award for Pro Bono Service