Ed Carter is a trial attorney who focuses on defending companies in product liability lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has defended clients in a variety of multidistrict and consolidated proceedings and has coordinated strategy across joint defense groups. A member of more than 27 trial teams in high-profile jury cases tried to verdict, including 15 cases as second chair and another 6 as trial counsel, Ed's litigation experience covers issues including negligence, strict liability, duty to warn, fraud, conspiracy, false advertising, preemption, public nuisance, design defect, the Controlled Substances Act, and breach of contract.
Ed routinely works with a variety of consultants and experts, including jury consultants, economists, engineers, pathologists, radiologists, epidemiologists, toxicologists, oncologists, psychiatrists, cardiologists, pulmonologists, historians, and marketing and advertising professionals. From 2007 to 2018, he was part of the national coordinating counsel team representing R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. in complex product liability lawsuits and personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits in Florida.
Ed is a member of Jones Day's Recruiting Committee and is the hiring partner for the Columbus Office. He also serves on the Columbus Office's Diversity, Inclusion & Advancement Committee. Ed is active in the Columbus community, including the Central Ohio Chapter of JDRF.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in federal Meeker ''Engle progeny'' lawsuit
On January 13, 2014, following five days of trial and approximately five hours of deliberation, a jury in Tampa, Florida returned a verdict in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a personal injury action finding that the smoker was not an Engle class member.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in Junious ''Engle progeny'' lawsuit
On October 20, 2011, after two and a half weeks of trial, a state court jury in Miami, Florida returned a verdict in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and another defendant in this "Engle progeny" wrongful death lawsuit.
R.J. Reynolds wins jury verdict in Rohr ''Engle progeny'' lawsuit
In October 2010, Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company was lead defendant for the industry in this wrongful death case where a state court jury in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida returned a verdict in favor of R.J. Reynolds and three other defendants in this "Engle progeny" lawsuit.
- January 2018Panel Discussion on Hiring, Moritz College of Law
- February 2017Tips for Interviewing with Employers, Moritz College of Law
- December 2016You're Going to Trial: Coordination, Preparation, and Success (Association of Corporate Counsel)
- February 2016Panel Discussion on Hiring, Moritz College of Law
- The University of Texas at Austin (J.D. with honors 2006); Arizona State University, The Barrett Honors College (B.A. in History and Political Science summa cum laude 2000; Phi Beta Kappa)
- Ohio, Florida, U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Ohio and Middle District of Florida, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Jeffrey S. Sutton, United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (2006-2007)