JONES DAY TALKS®: Riding the Green Bond Wave: Focus is on Standards as Volumes Surge
Takeaways from this discussion:
- Green bond issuance is surging worldwide, surpassing US$257 billion in 2019.
- Major corporates, including many not usually associated with climate initiatives, are bringing green bonds to market, spanning the investment grade and high-yield spectrum and including more exotic instruments such as convertibles and covered bonds.
- Green bond qualifying standards in Europe differ from those in the United States. An EU Green Bond Standard may be adopted as early as Q4 2020.
- First-time issuers should plan time to calibrate their green bond framework and prepare for reporting requirements, enhanced investor outreach, and potential for liability.
- "Greenwashing" remains a concern.
SUBSCRIBE TO JONES DAY TALKS®
Jones Day publications should not be construed as legal advice on any specific facts or circumstances. The contents are intended for general information purposes only and may not be quoted or referred to in any other publication or proceeding without the prior written consent of the Firm, to be given or withheld at our discretion. To request reprint permission for any of our publications, please use our “Contact Us” form, which can be found on our website at www.jonesday.com. The mailing of this publication is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The views set forth herein are the personal views of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Firm.