Clients facing a high-stakes tax or escheat controversy, or an issue with no off-the-shelf solution, draw on Mike Wynne's 30-plus years experience in state government, the Big 4, and AmLaw 100 firms. Mike is known to devise results-oriented strategies and innovative, pragmatic solutions.
In recent years Mike permanently enjoined the Cook County non-titled property use tax ordinance, overturned a 30-year policy of taxing compressed natural gas, and set the leading precedent against Illinois personal income tax residency. Mike's cases span the federal, state, and municipal forums and tax types including property tax exemptions in the health care and government contractor industries. Mike also handles multistate tax and escheat audits, voluntary disclosures, and transactional due diligence.
Mike was recognized by Chambers as "renowned for his expertise in False Claims Act work" in Illinois. He obtained dismissals and favorable settlements in Delaware false claims actions to escheat gift cards and testified before the Illinois legislature against the use of qui tam laws for tax enforcement.
Previously Mike led the Midwest SALT practice of a Big 4 firm, was general counsel of the Illinois Department of Revenue, and deputy and acting chief of the Illinois Attorney General's Revenue Litigation Division. He is on the board of trustees of the Taxpayers' Federation of Illinois, is a former chair of the Chicago Bar Association's SALT Committee, and is a frequent speaker before national groups, like COST, IPT, TEI, and UPPO and similar local groups.
Crestline Direct Finance provides $125 million senior secured term loan to subscription based online retailer
Jones Day advised Crestline Direct Finance, as administrative agent, collateral agent, and sole lead arranger, in connection with a $125 million senior secured term loan facility provided to a subscription based online retailer.
- July 20, 2018Chaos Ahead for Remote Sellers
- November 12, 2018Tax Gambling -- Not Planning for Litigation
- June 28, 2018Illinois - State of the State Chicago Tax Club Summer Session
- June 25, 2018Federal Tax Reform and State Tax Implications IPT 2018 Annual Conference
- May 23, 2018Sales Taxation of Services 2018 COST Intermediate / Advanced Sales Tax School
- February 22. 2018SALT and Multinational Businesses: Analyzing State and Local Taxation of Foreign Transactions
- The John Marshall Law School, Chicago (J.D. 1984); Southern Illinois University (B.S. in Finance 1981)
- Illinois, U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- General Counsel, Illinois Department of Revenue (1991-1994); served with the Office of the Illinois Attorney General (1984-1989), including as Acting Chief and Deputy Chief, Revenue Litigation Division (1988-1989)
- Recognized in Chambers USA as one of America's leading tax lawyers