Dr. Yury Kalish is a patent attorney who applies his legal and industry experience to strategically and efficiently support clients in a wide range of technologies. His practice focuses on intellectual property law including patent litigation, patent prosecution, and IP counseling. Yury works on patent infringement actions in federal district courts and the ITC, inter partes reviews (IPR) at the USPTO, prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications, and IP portfolio due diligence.
Yury has worked on matters for Cree, Hologic, Qualcomm, SAP, and others in the broad range of technologies including semiconductors, telecommunication, automotive, LEDs, medical devices, and software. He helped draft one of the first successful venue transfer motions after In re Heartland, which moved the case into the client's home district. Yury is a regular contributor to the Firm's ITC Blog.
Prior to joining Jones Day, Yury worked in the automotive industry in Detroit, Michigan and in the federal government. He was a technology development manager at the U.S. Department of Energy and an engineering group manager at Daimler Trucks North America. Yury's Ph.D. dissertation focused on design and development of high-voltage multilayer ceramic piezoelectric actuators. He is a named inventor on three U.S. patents and an author or coauthor of several technical papers on diesel engines, advanced materials, and electronic controls. This background allows Yury to understand clients' business goals, engineering development processes, and product portfolios in support of patent litigation and prosecution matters.
Commission Defers to PTAB’s Invalidation of a Single Claim in an Otherwise Blanket Affirmance of the ALJ’s Initial Determination, ITC Blog
- May 2018ITC Updates Its Rules of Practice and Procedure, ITC Blog
- April 2018ITC On Pace for Record-Breaking 2018, ITC Blog
- March 2018Clark S. Cheney Joins ITC, ITC Blog
- March 2018Inventorship, Ownership, and Standing Issues May Be Too Complex For 100-Day Pilot Program, ITC Blog
- December 2017Catch Me If You Can: Litigating Artificial Intelligence Patents
- March 2017IPRs Are Not Time Barred by an Earlier ITC Complaint, PTAB Litigation Blog
- February 2017Federal Circuit Vacates and Remands to PTAB Because of Insufficient Analysis of Obviousness in IPR, PTAB Litigation Blog
- July 2016USPTO Sends Guidance on Subject Matter Eligibility in View of Enfish Decision
- May 2016ITC Commissioners Split on the Right Approach to Issuance of Cease and Desist Orders
- April 2016Federal Circuit Denies Reconsideration of Its Decision that the ITC Lacks Jurisdiction Over Electronic Transmission of Digital Data
- February 2016Obviousness in Inter Partes Review Proceedings
Publications Prior to Jones Day
Daubert to the Rescue: Ensuring Reliability of Scientific and Technical Evidence in Rulemaking, 10 Geo. J.L. & Pub. Pol’y 539 (Summer 2012).
Emerging Energy Technologies for the Ground Vehicle Fleet, Military Vehicles Exposition and Conference.
U.S. Patent No. 7,628,139, Fuel Injector with Dual Piezo-Electric Actuator.
Adaptive PCCI Combustion Using Micro-Variable Circular-Orifice (MVCO) Fuel Injector, Soc’y of Auto. Eng’rs 2009-01-1528.
Model-Based Control of Diesel Engines for Fuel Efficiency Optimization, Soc’y of Auto. Eng’rs 2009-01-0727.
Heavy-Duty Diesel Combustion Optimization Using Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm and Multi-Dimensional Modeling, Soc’y of Auto. Eng’rs 2009-01-0716.
Demonstrating and Validating a Next Generation Model- Based Controller for Fuel Efficient, Low Emissions Diesel Engines, Directions in Energy-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference.
Integrated Powertrain and Vehicle Technologies for Fuel Efficiency Improvement and CO2 Reduction, Directions in Energy-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference.
High Efficiency Clean Combustion for Heavy-Duty Engine, Directions in Energy-Efficiency and Emissions Research Conference.
U.S. Patent No. 7,343,736, Flexible Exhaust Emission Aftertreatment System for Compression Cycle Diesel Engines.
High Efficiency Clean Combustion for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine, Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research.
U.S. Patent No. 7,213,553, Internal EGR for an Internal Combustion Engine.
Stress Analysis of Multilayer Piezoelectric Actuators for Diesel Fuel Injection Subjected to Square Pulse Voltage Excitation, in 6527 Industrial and Commercial Applications of Smart Structures Technologies 65270T.1.
Next Generation Diesel Engine Control, Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Workshop.
Heavy-Duty Engine Combustion Optimization Heavy-Duty Engine Combustion Optimization for High Thermal Efficiency Targeting EPA 2010 Emissions, Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Workshop.
21st Century Truck Partnership – Engine Team Perspective, Soc’y of Auto. Eng’rs Gov’t Indus. Meeting.
Smart Materials for Fuel Injection Actuation, Diesel Engine-Efficiency and Emissions Research Workshop.
Development of an Equivalent Force Method and an Application in Simulating the Radiated Noise from an Operating Diesel Engine, 6 Shock and Vibration 113.
Tribology and Dynamics of Ceramic Valves for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines, 72nd Am. Chem. Soc’y Colloid and Surface Science Symposium.
Simulation of the Noise Radiated from the Operating Diesel Engine, 24 Am. Soc’y Mech. Eng’rs Noise Control and Acoustics Division 279.
Cost Effective Machining and Inspection of Structural Ceramics, CRADA final report No. Y-1292-0088, Y/AMT-387.
Engine Testing of Ceramic Cam-Roller Followers, ORNL/Sub-90-SF985/1.
- Georgetown University (J.D. 2014; Georgetown Journal of Law & Public Policy; Barristers' Council; Bryce Harlow Foundation Fellow); Wayne State University (Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering 2006); St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University (Engineering Diploma with distinction 1988)
- District of Columbia, Virginia, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, and registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Technology Development Manager, U.S. Department of Energy (2009-2014)