Brad Erens has counseled clients for more than 25 years in some of the most complex and cutting-edge chapter 11 cases filed in the country. He oversees the Business Restructuring & Reorganization team in Jones Day's Chicago Office.
Brad's engagements include: Aetna and Zenith Industries (purchaser), Allens (DIP lender), Amfac Hawaii (company), Appvion (administrative agent), AWI (DIP lender), Bestwall LLC (company), Borden Chemicals and Plastics (company), Boscov's Department Stores (company), Carmike Cinemas (bank group), Catalyst Paper (administrative agent), Circuit Systems (secured creditor), Collins & Aikman (purchaser), Detroit (debtor), El Camino Resources (secured lender), ERG Intermediate Holdings (company), Extreme Plastics (first lien lender), FLYi/Independence Air (company), General Growth Properties (DIP lender), Harry & David (company), Hollinger Inc. (primary secured bondholder), Hotel 71 (first lien mortgage lender), International Automotive Components Group (company), Leasing Solutions (securitization lender), Michigan Health Care (company), Molycorp (company), National Equipment Services (bank group), National Jockey Club (first lien secured lender), NII Holdings (parent company), NRG Energy (company), Penton Media (company), Pittsburgh Corning Corporation (DIP lender), PLVTZ (company), Rohn Industries (bank group), SAExploration (company), Snyder's Drug Stores (bank group and DIP lender), Southcross Energy (ad hoc secured noteholders), Teleglobe (company), Tribune Company (Special Committee of Board of Directors), and USG Corporation (company).
Brad has been an adjunct professor at the DePaul University College of Law where he teaches corporate reorganizations. He is featured in Illinois Super Lawyers and Chambers USA and is rated as one of the best bankruptcy lawyers in Chicago by the PLC Cross-border Restructuring and Insolvency Handbook.
The Fifth Circuit Rules That a Make-Whole Premium Is Unmatured Interest Generally Disallowed in Bankruptcy
Tribune District Court Rules That LBO Payments May Not Be Avoided Because Debtor Was "Customer" of "Financial Institution"
U.S. Supreme Court Narrows Scope of Section 546(e)’s Safe Harbor for Securities Transaction Payments
- February 2017Aéropostale Bankruptcy Court Denies Motion to Equitably Subordinate or Recharacterize Secured Lenders’ Claims or to Limit Lenders’ Credit Bidding Rights, LexisNexis® Emerging Issues Analysis
- April 2011Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2011 Bankruptcy Handbook -- Chapter 11 Plan, Confirmation, and Cramdown
- September 2007Bidders Beware: Private Equity Club Deals Could Be Challenged in Bankruptcy, 24 The Bankruptcy Strategist 11, p. 1.
- July/August 2007Section 503(b)(9) of the Bankruptcy Code and Preference Liability, 3 Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law
- February 2007Stock Trading Injunctions in Chapter 11: The Poison Pill Alternative, coauthor, The Bankruptcy Strategist,at 3
- August 25, 2015
Testimony on Chapter 9 Before the Personnel and Pensions Committee of the Illinois House of Representatives
- October 2012
Testimony Before the ABI Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11
- May 19, 2011
Jones Day MCLE University - Chicago
- November 30, 2009
Update on Commercial Real Estate Restructrurings, Sixteenth Annual Distressed Investing Conference
- June 19 - 20, 2008
Eleventh Annual Conference on Corporate Reorganizations
- November 26, 2007
Recent Cross-Border and Chapter 15 Scenarios, Fourteenth Annual Distressed Investing Conference
- June 2007
Dividend Recapitalizations, Renaissance Management Restructuring Symposium
- June 23, 2005
Parent Issues in Subsidiary Chapter 11 Cases
- February 2004
Foreclosing on Equity Pledges, New York Institution Investor Conference
- June 2003
Fiduciary Duties in the Zone of Insolvency: Emerging Issues, American Bankruptcy Institute's 3rd Annual Investment Banking Program
- July 2002
Fraudulent Conveyance Issues in Mass Tort Bankruptcies, Mealey's Asbestos Conference
"[T]he kind of guy you are happy to see working on a case because he is smart in so many ways." - Chambers USA
- The University of Chicago (J.D. 1991; Order of the Coif); Yale University (B.A. summa cum laude 1988)
- Illinois and United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Chambers USA (2009-2019)
Illinois Super Lawyers (2006–2019)