Food, Dietary Supplement & Cosmetics Regulatory Update, Issue 3
In this issue:
- FDA Finalizes Expanded Records Access Rule and Issues Guidance
- FDA Finalizes Board Member Conflict of Interest Policies
- Meat Groups Get Another Chance To Delay Enforcement of COOL Rules
- FDA Issues Revised Draft Guidance on Prior Notice of Imported Foods
- Makers of Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages Settle with State AGs
- FDA Reports All But One Animal Drug Sponsor Committed To Antibiotic Policy
- GMA Petitions FDA To Issue A Regulation Authorizing Statements Such As “Natural” On GM Foods
- Hamburg Testifies To House Subcommittee That Requiring Labels For GM Foods Is Unnecessary
- EFSA Issues Scientific Opinion on Salmonella and Norovirus Risks in Leafy Greens
- FSIS Responds to Claims that Inspector Shortage Will Mean More Recalls
- Vermont GMO Labeling Bill Makes Headway
- Two Studies Link Cancer and Heart Disease To Low Vitamin D Levels.
- FDA Finalizes Rule and Guidances On Record Access Requirements
- FDA Announces Availability of Draft Guidance for Industry on Imported Food
- FDA Issues Guidance on Financial Interests
- FDA Amends Animal Drug Regulations to Reflect Recent NADA and ANADA Approvals
- FDA Announces Opportunity to Comment on Turkey Food Additive Petition
- USDA’s APHIS Issues Four New Quarantine Treatment Schedules for Food
- USDA’s APHIS Announces Final Rule on Importation of Potatoes from Mexico
- Korea Eligible for Exporting Poultry to the United States
- USDA announced the opportunity to comment on the following proposed information collections:
- Specified Risk Materials under Federal Meat Inspection Act (comments due April 28).
- Swine Health Protection (comments due April 28).
- Extension for Specified Commodities Imported Into the United States Exempt from Import Requirement. (comments due May 30).
- FDA announced the opportunity to comment on the following proposed information collections:
- Electronic Signatures for FDA Submissions (comments due May 27).
- Current Good Manufacturing Practice Regulations for Medicated Feeds (comments due June 6).
- Current Good Manufacturing Practice Regulations for Type A Medicated Articles (comments due June 6).
- Index of Legally Marketed Unapproved New Animal Drugs for Minor Species (comments due June 6).
- USDA announced that OMB has approved its proposed information collection for:
- Evaluation of the Pilot Project for Canned, Frozen, or Dried Fruits and Vegetables in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) (comments due May 27).
Other USDA Announcements:
- National Watermelon Promotion Board Amended Membership Requirements
- Proposed Increased Assessment for California Desert Grapes Comments due April 15.
Upcoming Meetings, Workshops, and Conferences
The annual Food Safety Summit will host four certification programs in HACCP, Seafood HACCP, Food Fraud, and ServSafe in addition to a variety of speakers and exhibitors. April 7–10 in Baltimore, MD.
USDA and EPA are sponsoring a public meeting on April 10, 2014 in Arlington, VA to provide information and receive public comments for the 46th Session of the Codex Committee on Pesticide Residues (CCPR), which will take place in China in May.
The National Organic Standards Board will hold its annual meeting on April 29–May 2 in San Antonio, TX. Written comments and signup for oral public comments due April 8, 2014.
The International Association for Food Protection will host its Annual Meeting on August 3-6 in Indianapolis, IN. The attendees will receive information on current and emerging food safety issues, the latest science, innovative solutions to new and recurring problems, and the opportunity to network with thousands of other food safety professional.
Recent Product Recalls
Recent Warning Letters