Applicant Privacy Notice
Applicant Privacy Notice
Jones Day (“we”, “us”, “the Firm”) is committed to protecting your Personal Data (as defined below) responsibly and in compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws. This Applicant Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies to the information that Jones Day collects in connection with your application for a vacation scheme placement with Jones Day London.
Jones Day is committed to diversity. Cultivating a diverse and inclusive work environment is crucial to success. We encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. Jones Day is an equal opportunity employer.
The Notice describes the types of Personal Data that Jones Day collects, how we use and share your Personal Data, and the rights available to you. This Notice also describes the measures Jones Day takes to protect the security of the data and how you can contact Jones Day about our data protection practices.
It is important for you to review this Notice before submitting your application and Personal Data to us for consideration for a vacation scheme placement with the Firm. By submitting your Personal Data and by using this Website, your Personal Data will be handled and protected in accordance with this Notice.
This Notice is intended to help you better understand the following:
1. General Information
2. What Personal Data We Collect
3. How We Collect Your Personal Data
4. Why We Use Your Personal Data
5. How Long Your Personal Data Is Retained
6. Who Has Access to Your Personal Data
7. Cross-Border Data Transfers
8. What Your Rights Are and How to Submit Privacy and Data Protection Inquiries and
9. Updating Your Personal Data
10. Legal Effect and Changes to this Notice
11. How to Contact Us
12. Effective Date of the Notice
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
When Jones Day collects Personal Data about you in connection with your application, Jones Day London will be the controller with respect to your Personal Data.
2. WHAT PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
A. Personal Data
“Personal Data” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual. In connection with your application for a vacation scheme placement, we may collect the following Personal Data concerning you:
• Your name, physical address, e-mail address, phone number;
• Your resume, CV, biography (if applicable), cover letter;
• Email address;
• Educational background, school transcripts, writing sample (if applicable);
• Current position, job qualifications, professional and other work-related licenses,
• Information collected during in-person, online or phone interviews;
• Details of how you heard about the position for which you are applying;
• Third-party employment and academic references;
• Information relating to any previous applications you may have submitted or your
current/prior work experience with us;
• Your photo or image;
• Your language skills and proficiency; and
• Any other information you elect to provide.
If an offer is made, you may be asked to provide your national ID number and evidence of your eligibility under immigration laws to take up a vacation scheme position in the United Kingdom.
If you provide us with Personal Data of a reference or any other individual as part of your application, it is your responsibility to obtain consent from that individual prior to providing the information to us.
B. Sensitive Personal Data
Sensitive Personal Data refers to data that reveals an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data, or data concerning health or data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
You are not required to submit any Sensitive Personal Data in your application. If you do so, you are considered to have consented to our processing of this data for recruiting purposes.
C. Voluntary Disclosure
Your provision of Personal Data in connection with job application is generally voluntary.
Please note that if you decide not to provide information or complete the application, it may affect the consideration of your application.
3. HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We collect your Personal Data online through this vacation scheme placement application Website.
4. WHY WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We need to process your Personal Data in order to process your application for a vacation scheme and potentially to offer you an interview and a vacation scheme placement. We may process your Personal Data in order to:
• Communicate with you;
• Provide you with assistance and respond to your inquiries regarding use of this Website;
• Assess your qualifications;
• Verify your identity and eligibility to participate in our vacation scheme; and
• Verify employment references.
• To manage record-keeping and reporting obligations in connection with the applicant
• If you are offered a position, to conduct background checks if we are lawfully required to do so. We may need to request further consents from you for these checks; and
• To comply with applicant law and regulations.
We also process Personal Data where we have a legitimate interest to do so in connection with our vacation scheme recruitment process.
5. HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We retain Personal Data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Notice, based on customary human resource practices and in accordance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements. This will include retention of your Personal Data after a decision has been made on your application for such period.
You may contact us using the contact details at Section 14 (“Contact Us”) below to learn more about our retention policies, withdraw your application and to request us to purge your Personal Data. Please note that applicable law may require that we retain your resume or CV for a specific period even if you request that we do not consider your application.
6. WHO HAS ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We only grant access to Personal Data on a need-to-know basis, including to authorized recruiters, interviewing attorneys or their designees, HR personnel responsible for the job openings, and IT staff as may be required to manage this Website. Some of these people may be located in different jurisdictions, and as such, your Personal Data may be shared globally.
We also may share your Personal Data with selected service providers, such as third-party data processors assisting Jones Day with the operation of this Website. These service providers will be required to use appropriate measures to protect the confidentiality and security of Personal Data, as explained in Section 7 (“Cross-Border Data Transfers”) below.
We also may need to share your Personal Data with other third parties, including
- your referees;
- service providers who operate this Website and our IT systems
- agencies that facilitate background checks.
- Governmental and law enforcement authorities, as required by a court order or any other legal or regulatory requirement
We do this for purposes of:
- processing your application;
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property; and to
- to comply with or in accordance with applicable law.
If we hire you, your Personal Data will become part of your employment file with us.
We do not collect or compile Personal Data for dissemination or sale to third parties for consumer marketing purposes.
7. CROSS-BORDER DATA TRANSFERS
Jones Day operates worldwide. As such, Jones Day may transfer your Personal Data across country borders and, in particular, from the UK and the EU to countries outside the UK and EEA in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. To comply with UK and EU data protection laws, Jones Day has entered into an Intercompany Data Transfer Agreement, under the terms of which all data importers outside the UK and EU must process and protect all Personal Data received from the UK and/or EU in accordance with standard contractual clauses (the “Clauses”), as approved by the European Commission and as implemented under UK law.
The transfers of data to third-party service providers are secured by implementing the safeguards required under the applicable data protection law (including contractual arrangements entered into with a third-party vendor). Third-party service providers are expected to protect the confidentiality and security of Personal Data, to only use Personal Data for the provision of services to the Firm, and to comply with applicable privacy law.
Contact Jones Day at the contact details provided in Section 14 (“Contact Us”) below to obtain a redacted copy of the Clauses or relevant data transfer agreements (excluding commercial terms).
8. SECURITY AND INTEGRITY OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Jones Day maintains appropriate physical, procedural, administrative, organizational and technical security measures intended to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of your Personal Data under our control. To comply with data protection laws and our internal policies, we address information security at all appropriate technology infrastructure points.
It is your sole responsibility to use the appropriate level of care whenever you communicate with us. Do not send sensitive information to us via email.
9. LAW APPLICABLE TO YOUR APPLICATION
This Website is operated from the United Kingdom. Accordingly, any Personal Data you submit through this process will be subject to UK laws, notwithstanding the possible additional applicability of laws in your country of establishment.
10. YOUR DATA SUBJECTS RIGHTS AND HOW TO SUBMIT PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION INQUIRIES AND COMPLAINTS
To the extent required by applicable law, you are entitled to obtain access to information on the processing of your Personal Data, to object to processing of your Personal Data, make use of your right to data portability and to have your Personal Data rectified or deleted or their processing restricted. You also are entitled to withdraw any consent that you might have given with respect to the processing of your Personal Data at any time with future effect. These are known as “Data Subject Rights.”
If you would like to exercise your Data Subject Rights or learn more about the processing of your Personal Data, please contact us under Section 14 (“Contact Us”). Jones Day will respond to your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable, but in any case, within the legally required period of time.
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe that your Personal Data is not being processed in accordance with the law, you also may contact or lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority or seek other remedies under applicable law.
11. UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
To inform us of any significant changes in your Personal Data submitted through the Website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
12. LEGAL EFFECT AND CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
This Notice is not, nor is it intended to be, a contract. Accordingly, Jones Day may amend, modify or withdraw any portion of this Notice, in accordance with applicable law. Any substantial change in this Notice will only apply to Personal Data obtained after any such Notice change unless we have been able to notify you of such changes and have provided you with an opportunity to request removal of your Personal Data. If you need clarification regarding any aspect of this Notice, please contact us at the information provided in Section 14 (“Contact Us”) below.
13. OTHER IMPORTANT PROVISIONS
About Children. Except where permitted by local law, this Website is not intended for individuals under the age of 16.
14. CONTACT US
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Notice, our processing of your Personal Data or to make use of your Data Subject Rights, please contact us:
By email: email@example.com; or Toll Free: +1-888-404-1150.
Effective Date: September 1, 2022