RSS | Print | Email Page

Firm News

Jones Day's Paris Office moves to historic Hôtel de Talleyrand

May 2010


Paris – Jones Day's Paris Office has relocated to the Hôtel de Talleyrand as of May 10, 2010. The office is located at 2 rue Saint-Florentin, 75001 Paris, on the Place de la Concorde.

In an innovative public-private partnership with the U.S. State Department, Jones Day carried out the renovation of the building, which formerly served as the U.S. Consulate in Paris. The move enables all the Firm's Paris-based lawyers, who previously were housed in two separate buildings, to reunite in one location.

The Government of the United States remains the owner of the Hôtel de Talleyrand and has entered into a long-term lease with Jones Day for the entire premises, with the exception of the George C. Marshall Center and adjoining areas on the second floor, which remain under the authority of the U.S. government, and offices rented by the World Monument Fund.

Jones Day advised with respect to the complex legal and regulatory aspects of the project and also supervised the design and construction, which has converted the building into functional offices while preserving its historical and artistic attributes.

The Hôtel de Talleyrand was built between 1767 and 1769 as a private residence for the Comte de Saint-Florentin, a personal friend of Louis XV. Its neoclassical design represents a collaboration between Jacques-Ange Gabriel, who also designed the Place de la Concorde, and Jean-François Chalgrin, designer of the Arc de Triomphe. Charles Maurice de Talleyrand, Minister of Foreign Affairs under Napoleon and one of the most influential diplomats in European history, lived in the mansion from 1812 until his death in 1838. He hosted many events there, including the peace negotiations among Russia's Czar Alexander I, the King of Prussia, and Britain's Lord Castlereagh that restored the French monarchy in 1814. Baron James-Mayer de Rothschild purchased the mansion after Talleyrand's death and his family retained it until 1950, when it was sold to the U.S. government. It became headquarters for the programs of the Marshall Plan, which supported economic restoration and long-term recovery in Western Europe after World War II. The building is one of only seventeen listed on the U.S. Secretary of State’s Register of Culturally Significant Properties.

The Firm is honored to be associated with the U.S. government in the development of the Hôtel de Talleyrand which has, for over two centuries, been at the crossroads of European and American history.

Related Office(s)