Jones Day named to "Fearsome Foursome" of top law firms in BTI Litigation Outlook 2023
The Firm has been ranked among the "Fearsome Foursome"—the law firms that clients would least like to see as opposing counsel—in the BTI Litigation Outlook 2023 report, published this month by the BTI Consulting Group, Inc. This is the ninth time and third consecutive year that Jones Day has been named to the elite list. The report is based on feedback from senior in-house legal decision makers.
"These are the firms striking the utmost fear into the hearts of seasoned general counsel and legal decision makers," says the BTI report. "The BTI Fearsome Foursome are the firms clients tell us they least want to see on the other side of the table in litigation because they are relentless, cunning, aggressive, very smart, and play to win—and win big."
The report cites five characteristics for firms named among its "Fearsome Foursome":
- Valorous: Bringing great courage in the face of high risk, danger, and uncharted waters. (The firms) relish the challenge and opportunity.
- Savvy and Super Smart: Thinking quickly, spotting patterns, able to decipher and launch multiple strategies, and can bring together all they learn as they go.
- Energized: The fight brings out more energy. Increased challenge breathes new vitality into the Fearsome Foursome.
- Mobilized: Acting expeditiously—swift but thought out. Always with the right resources. The ability to think on their feet helps make this happen.
- Unabating: The Fearsome Foursome just don't give up.
Jones Day is ranked as a "powerhouse" or "leader" in eight of the specific litigation categories profiled in the report:
- Intellectual Property
- Class Action
- Securities & Finance
- Complex Employment
- Product Liability
- Complex Commercial
"We are gratified that in-house litigation leaders respect the professional excellence that our lawyers bring to bear in the representation of our clients, in every area of litigation, from counseling through trial and appeal, in the high-stakes matters that have the most significant potential impact on their organizations," said John Majoras, Co-Leader of Jones Day's Business & Tort Litigation Practice. "This recognition of our Firm once again illustrates that we have the depth of legal talent worldwide to zealously represent our clients, and that we continue to handle some of the highest profile and most significant trials in the country."
The rankings were based solely on more than 350 in-depth telephone interviews with leading legal decision makers at large organizations with $1 billion or more in revenue. The research is independent and unbiased—no law firm or organization other than BTI sponsors the study.
The BTI Litigation Outlook 2023 report includes empirical analysis of current and future trends in litigation and is based on more than 20,000 interviews spanning more than 20 years with corporate counsel and other legal decision makers.