David Woodcock represents companies, boards, and individuals in government investigations, internal investigations, shareholder litigation, and compliance counseling. He was formerly director of the SEC's Fort Worth Regional Office and chair of the SEC's Financial Reporting and Audit Task Force. David serves as the head of litigation for the Firm's Dallas Office.
At the SEC, David was responsible for all aspects of the agency's enforcement and examination activities in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas. He also helped create, and served as chair of, the cross-office/division Financial Reporting and Auditing Task Force, which was designed to enhance the SEC's detection and prosecution of violations involving accounting and false financial statements. During this time, David oversaw investigations in nearly every major area of the SEC's enforcement program, including public company disclosure and reporting; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); insider trading; and investigations of SEC registrants. He also served as a member of the Enforcement Advisory Committee. Prior to joining the SEC, David was a partner at an international law firm where his practice focused on representing boards, officers/directors, public companies, and private fund advisers in investigations and litigation involving complex securities claims.
Before attending law school, David was a certified public accountant, certified management accountant, and certified information systems auditor and practiced at two of the world's largest accounting firms. He teaches a course on securities enforcement at Texas A&M University School of Law.
The following represents a sample of experience acquired prior to joining Jones Day.
Represented an investment bank in a lawsuit over the sale and remarketing of variable rate debt bonds.
Represented a hedge fund and fund advisor in derivative actions litigation filed in Miami federal court arising from investment in a Madoff feeder fund.
Represented a hedge fund in a Department of Labor investigation arising from investments by ERISA fiduciaries.
Obtained complete relief for a hedge fund in AAA arbitration arising from a dispute with a brokerage firm over sales agreement.
Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a semiconductor manufacturer in derivative actions in Texas federal and state courts arising from alleged options backdating.
Represented a corporate officer in lawsuits and investigations involving alleged revenue recognition and health care fraud in the sales of medical devices.
Advised the director of a Canadian public company on various corporate governance matters and stock exchange delisting.
Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of investors in shareholder's lawsuit against a billion dollar internet incubator in a case involving fiduciary duty, involuntary dissolution, and Investment Company Act of 1940 claims.
Obtained dismissal of 1933 and 1934 Act claims filed in federal court in San Diego against a former outside director and largest shareholder of a software company after the company restated revenue by more than $500 million.
Obtained take-nothing judgment in an arbitration on behalf of investment partnership in breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, Texas Securities Act, and aiding and abetting case under Delaware and Texas law.
Obtained dismissal of Section 10(b) claims against public accounting firm in securities fraud class action filed in Houston federal court alleging that the firm failed to discover revenue recognition fraud.
Assisted a multinational chemical company in antitrust market analysis in the sale of corporation's assets in the U.S. and Europe.
Assisted a natural gas pipeline company in defeating attempt by a competitor to reopen and modify an FTC order.
Obtained dismissal of all claims filed in Arizona federal court against a hospital by a competing hospital and its air ambulance subsidiary alleging unlawful exclusive dealing under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act, breach of contract, and tortious interference.
Obtained significant settlement on behalf of a contract manufacturer in a lawsuit involving fraud and breach of contract claims arising out of the sale of wafer manufacturing equipment.
Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of an insurance company in a dispute involving an assumption reinsurance agreement and allegations of misrepresentation, fraud, and various statutory violations after having successfully defeated TRO post-removal from state court.
The Perils of Well-Intentioned Deception: Insider Trading Case Highlights Challenges Facing Public Companies
- December 1, 2016
To Self-Report or Not to Self-Report?, Texas Lawyer
- September 18, 20182018 Jones Day’s Speaker Series: New Energy and Environmental Issues Facing Companies Doing Business in Pennsylvania
- August 28, 2018Insider Trading and Regulation FD - Legal Update, Jones Day CLE Speaker Series
- February 21-22, 2018SMU Certificate in Ethics and Compliance
- May 10, 2017Securities Enforcement Forum West 2017
- April 12, 2017An Evening with SEC Director Shamoil Shipchandler
- December 15, 2016CPE, Inc. SEC Conference 2016: An Accounting & Reporting Update for US Listed Companies: Update on SEC Enforcement Initiatives for Asia-Based Companies
- December 8, 2016Jones Day and Ernst & Young Accounting and Enforcement Update for Public Companies
- November 4, 2016Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics, Dallas Regional Compliance & Ethics Conference, Government Investigations
- September 22, 2016PLI’s 12th Annual SEC Reporting & FASB Forum for Mid-sized & Smaller Companies, Staying Out of Trouble – Division of Enforcement Update
- September 8, 2016RR Donnelly Hot Topics Conference, Update on SEC Enforcement
- July 25, 2016LSU Fraud and Forensic Accounting Conference, Keynote: Public and Private Accounting Fraud Enforcement
- May 27, 2016Dallas CPA Society – Annual Convergence Conference, SEC Update
- May 20, 2016CPE, Inc. SEC Enforcement: The Current Landscape
- May 16, 201631st Midyear SEC Reporting & FASB Forum
- May 11, 2016Accounting and Enforcement Update for Energy Companies
- May 6, 201648th Annual Rocky Mountain Securities Conference, Defense Perspectives Panel
- April 27, 2016PLI’s Global Capital Markets & the U.S. Securities Laws 2016, Global Securities Developments
- March 29, 2016Texas LawBook Panel, The SEC: A Change in Leadership and a Focus on Fraud
- March 8, 2016Financial Executives International – Dallas Chapter, SEC Enforcement Update
- February 24-26, 2016Mastering SEC Rules and Solving Your Toughest Compliance Challenges
- February 18-19, 2016The Center for American and International Law’s 67th Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference
- December 9, 2015The SEC: A Change in Leadership and a Focus on Fraud
- November 12, 2015The Experts Forum: The Impact of Falling Oil Prices on Financial Reporting
- October 30, 2015Investigating Potential Misconduct, Including Practice Tips for Managing an Investigation with Global Reach, SMU 23rd Annual Corporate Counsel Symposium
- October 8, 2015National Association of Corporate Directors—SEC Breakfast
- October 1-2, 2015ABA 10th Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud
- September 17, 2015American Conference Institute's 19th Forum on D&O Liability Insurance
- September 10, 2015SEC Hot Topics Institute
- The University of Texas at Austin (J.D. with honors 2000); Louisiana State University (B.S. in Accounting 1992; Beta Alpha Psi)
- Texas, District of Columbia, U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Regional Director, Fort Worth Regional Office (2011-2015) and Chair, Financial Reporting and Auditing Task Force (2013-2015), Securities and Exchange Commission
Chambers USA 2017: Texas, litigation: white-collar crime & government investigations
Named by D Magazine in its list of "Best Lawyers in Dallas" in securities litigation & enforcement
Texas Super Lawyers (2018)
Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for regulatory enforcement in litigation
Recipient of the Securities and Exchange Commission Chair's Excellence in Leadership Award
- Law Clerk to Judge Howell Cobb, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas (2000-2001)