For more than 25 years Mark Taylor has advised employers on resolving their key strategic HR issues and challenges.
Mark advises employers of all sizes and works across many different industry sectors and covers the full range of employment law issues. In particular, his practice has evolved to focus on key strategic HR projects, including handling sensitive executive departures, difficult terminations, events of major workplace change, restructuring matters, and transactional employment law issues. Much of Mark's work is highly sensitive counseling work. His experience in transactional matters is widely recognized, particularly in the field of transfer of undertakings, and he regularly coordinates advice on the HR aspects of cross-border M&A. As part of Jones Day's extensive European employment law practice, Mark regularly works with colleagues on providing and coordinating advice to multinational employers.
Mark has been recognized as a leading practitioner by Chambers UK since 2002 and its latest edition refers to his "excellent and pragmatic advice" and a "fantastic ability to cut through to the important points."
The following represents experience prior to joining Jones Day.
- Advising a private equity house on the disposal of a packaging business from within one of its portfolio companies. The transaction required the co-ordination of complex consultation issues in several jurisdictions.
- Advising Morley Asset Management on the outsourcing of certain back office functions to JP Morgan.
- Advising Swiss Re on successive outsourcing projects passing claims handling process to a third party and then taking the service back in-house.
- Advising a UK bank on the outsourcing of a mortgage processing business involving moving 600 unionised staff to a third party provider.
- Advising a UK fund manager on outsourcing back office functions in several jurisdictions to JP Morgan.
- Advising a private equity house on the acquisition of a listed manufacturing business and effecting substantial management change post-acquisition.
- Advising Royal Mail Group Plc on the outsourcing of its facilities management business to a consortium (this involved complex issues surrounding the negotiation and interpretation of collective agreements).
Advisory and Litigation Matters
- Advising a venture capital house on complex issues surrounding the interpretation of its "carried-interest" long-term incentive plan including resolving a dispute as to its terms through mediation.
- Advising a print business on lifting a team of employees from a competitor, including interpretation of detailed restrictive covenants.
- Advising several businesses on the employment law and employee relations issues arising from the closure of final salary pension schemes.
- Advising a large fund manager on the contractual issues arising from the introduction of a flexible benefits scheme.
- Advising financial institutions on their obligations to provide references in the light of the regime under the Financial Services and Markets Act.
- On behalf of an investment bank, successfully mediating a complex whistle-blowing claim alleging regulatory infringement.
- Numerous highly sensitive senior executive terminations for high profile employers.
Daily Registration of Employee Working Time in the European Union: Practical Recommendations for Employers
- May 21, 2015
Jones Day’s European Labor & Employment Conference 2015: Managing Change Across Europe
- May 15, 2014
European Labor & Employment Conference 2014: Managing Today’s Employment Relationships Across Europe
- April 18, 2013
2013 Annual European Labor & Employment Conference
- June 21, 2012
European Labor & Employment related compliance issues: The latest developments in Labor law impacting local or multi-national employers
- January 25, 2011
Now That's What I Call Employment Law 2010
- November 2009
Workplace Behaviour: Do's and Don'ts, Client seminar
- April 28, 2007
Emerging Trends in European L&E Law and their Impact on Multi-National Corporations
- April 26, 2007
European Labor and Employment Issues Facing the Financial Services Industry
- University of Manchester (LL.B. Hons. 1990)
- Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Consistently recognized by Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK as a leading practitioner