Chris Tipler focuses his practice on international trade, national security, and government contracts matters. He advises clients on compliance with the sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), and filings with the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). He also counsels government contractors in the defense and national security industries on regulatory requirements and cybersecurity issues.
Chris also clerked on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, where he gained significant experience in litigation involving government contracts, international trade, administrative law, and patents.
During law school, Chris participated in the University of Pennsylvania Law School's Supreme Court Clinic, where he drafted petitions for writ of certiorari and merits briefs and prepared cases for argument before the United States Supreme Court. Prior to law school, he worked for a global advisory firm focused on national security and risk management.
Norwest Equity Partners acquires Arteriors Home
Jones Day represented Norwest Equity Partners in connection with the acquisition and related financing of 4M Capital, Ltd. d/b/a Arteriors Home, a leading designer and supplier of artisanal lighting, furnishings, and home décor accessories.
Texas Instruments sells its Greenock, Scotland wafer fabrication facility and operations to Diodes Incorporated
Jones Day advised Texas Instruments (U.K.) Limited, a subsidiary of Texas Instruments Incorporated, in the sale of its semiconductor wafer fabrication facility located in Greenock, Scotland, to Diodes Semiconductors GB Limited, a subsidiary of Diodes Incorporated.
NVIDIA to acquire Mellanox Technologies for $6.9 billion
Jones Day is advising NVIDIA Corporation in its acquisition of Mellanox Technologies, Ltd., an Israel-based leading supplier of end-to-end InfiniBand and Ethernet interconnect solutions and services for servers and storage.
Cylance acquired by BlackBerry for $1.4 billion
Jones Day advised Cylance, an artificial intelligence and cybersecurity leader, in its $1.4 billion acquisition by BlackBerry Limited, plus the assumption of unvested employee incentive awards.
API Technologies Corp. sells EMS division to Kitron ASA
Jones Day advised API Technologies Corp., a portfolio company of long-standing client J.F. Lehman & Company, a leading mid-market private equity firm focused on the defense, aerospace, and maritime sectors, in the sale of its EMS division in the United States, to Kitron ASA.
U.S. and Asian companies evaluate potential impact of TPP
Jones Day is providing advice to multiple U.S. and Asian companies regarding the Trans-Pacific Partnership ("TPP").
Agencies Establish Baseline Cybersecurity Safeguards for Information Systems Containing Federal Contract Information
- July 2016TPP: The Fine Print—A Look at the Mechanics of the Treaty
- June 2016Agencies Establish Baseline Cybersecurity Safeguards for Information Systems Containing Federal Contract Information
- May 2016Congress Passes Measure to Facilitate the Reduction of Duties on Certain Imports
- May 2016U.S. Further Lifts Limits on Transactions Incident to Exports to and from Burma (Myanmar)
- March 2016BIS Backtrack: U.S. Temporarily Reauthorizes Certain Exports and Reexports to Two ZTE-Affiliated Entities
- March 2016U.S. Further Eases Restrictions on Travel, Financial Services, and Business Activities with Cuba
- March 2016U.S. Restricts Exports and Reexports to ZTE
- February 2016U.S. Tightens Sanctions on North Korea
- November 2015New Sanctions Program Further Increases Risk for U.S. Companies in Africa
- University of Pennsylvania (J.D. 2014; Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law); The University of the South (B.A. in Global Relations summa cum laude 2010; Phi Beta Kappa)
- District of Columbia, Virginia, U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Critical Languages Scholar (Arabic), U.S. Department of State (Summer 2009)
- Law Clerk to: Judge Evan J. Wallach, U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit (2016-2018) and Judge Susan G. Braden, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2014-2015)