Sparkle Sooknanan focuses primarily on appellate litigation, motions practice, and trial strategy in federal and state courts. She has argued before the First, Sixth, Seventh, and Ninth Circuits; cross-examined witnesses and argued before district and state courts; drafted briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court and various federal and state courts; and advised clients on matters involving a host of substantive areas.
Before joining Jones Day, Sparkle served as a law clerk to Justice Sonia Sotomayor of the U.S. Supreme Court, Judge Guido Calabresi of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and Judge Eric Vitaliano of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. She also served in the U.S. Department of Justice, where she represented the government in statutory and agency review cases across the country and worked with the Office of the Solicitor General to review decisions adverse to the government.
- Brooklyn Law School (J.D. summa cum laude 2010; Executive Articles Editor, Brooklyn Law Review; President, Moot Court Honor Society); Hofstra University (M.B.A. in Marketing with distinction 2003); St. Francis College (B.S. in Management summa cum laude 2002)
- District of Columbia, New York, U.S. Supreme Court, and U.S. Courts of Appeals for the D.C., First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, and Tenth Circuits
- Appellate Staff, Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice (2012-2013)
- Brooklyn Law School Rising Star Award (2015)
- Law Clerk to: Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor, U.S. Supreme Court (2013-2014); Judge Guido Calabresi, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit (2011-2012); and Judge Eric N. Vitaliano, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York (2010-2011)