Dr. Ognian Shentov is a lead trial lawyer who secured over $30 million damages in a patent infringement case, where the jury verdict was affirmed en banc by the Federal Circuit. He directed a joint defense group of international companies in a semiconductor manufacturing dispute and has led jury trials, arbitrations, and numerous claim construction and summary judgment hearings. His practice focuses on patent, trade secret, copyright, and complex technology issues in the electronics, communications, artificial intelligence (AI), medical device, and finance industries.
Oggie represents companies like IBM, Qualcomm, DirecTV, Lenovo, Marine Polymer, and Chevron in matters ranging from distributed servers, to satellite television, MPEG video, dynamic web page generation, anti-hemmoraging devices, and trade secret misappropriation of high-throughput technology. He was lead attorney in an instituted PTAB trial on Distributed Antenna Systems. Oggie also represents Korean companies, successfully defending SOLiD, Inc. against a competitor by defeating the asserted patents on summary judgment and jury verdict of noninfringement, as well as Sewoon and Taewoong in a dispute over stents. With litigation in mind, he also builds patent portfolios and has prosecuted more than 500 patents with international counterparts.
Oggie is vice chair of the International Patent Law and Trade committee of the Intellectual Property Owners (IPO) Association and a five-term vice chair of its U.S. Patent Law committee. He frequently leads panel discussions on intellectual property (IP), lectures internationally on AI-related legal issues and, along with several technical journal articles, has published on issues of patent eligibility, international IP protection, portfolio management, and monetization.
Sewoon obtains dismissal of patent infringement action regarding stent technology
Jones Day successfully defended Sewoon Medical Co., Ltd., Standard Sci-Tech Inc., and EndoChoice, Inc. in a patent infringement action regarding stent technology.
Taewoong Medical resolves patent infringement dispute over stent technology
Jones Day successfully defended Taewoong Medical Co., Ltd. in a patent infringement action regarding stent technology.
SOLiD and Reach obtain jury verdict finding non-infringement in competitor-vs.-competitor patent case
Following a seven day trial, a jury in the Northern District of California unanimously found that Jones Day clients SOLiD, Inc. and Reach Holdings LLC did not infringe any claims of a 16-year-old wireless communications patent owned by Corning Optical Communications Wireless Ltd., a subsidiary of Corning, Inc.
DIRECTV defeats patent infringement charges over broadcast satellite TV
Jones Day defended DIRECTV and related companies in a patent infringement action involving multiple patents allegedly reading on aspects of its television satellite broadcast technology.
Marine Polymer obtains en banc affirmance of $34.2 million judgment
On March 15, 2012, in a case closely watched by the intellectual-property bar, a cross-office and cross-practice team of Jones Day lawyers obtained an en banc affirmance of a $34.2 million patent-infringement judgment for medical device company Marine Polymer Technologies, Inc.
Marine Polymer awarded $29.4 million in patent infringement case against HemCon directed to biocompatible polymers
On April 29, 2010, a federal jury in Concord, New Hampshire awarded over $29.4 million in damages in favor of Jones Day client, Marine Polymer Technologies, Inc. of Danvers, Massachusetts ("Marine Polymer"), in a patent infringement case against HemCon, Inc. based in Portland, Oregon ("HemCon").
Lenovo defends infringement claims by CIF Licensing over patent for MPEG data compression technology
Jones Day represented Asia computer manufacturer Lenovo Group, LTD and Lenovo, Inc. in a patent infringement action brought by CIF Licensing, L.L.C. involving MPEG data compression technology.
Herbalife successfully defends against patent infringement charge related to managing dynamic web pages
Jones Day represented defendant Herbalife International of America, Inc. in this patent infringement suit.
Bell Microproducts resolves copyright infringement dispute over software
Jones Day represented Bell Microproducts, Inc. in a case where plaintiffs asserted copyright infringement for one of Bell's software programs.
HannStar Display, Proview and HannSpree successfully defend against patent infringement charges over LCD technology
Jones Day represented all defendants, HannStar Display Corporation, Proview and HannSpree California Inc., in a patent infringement suit involving three patents directed to semiconductor manufacturing and LCD display technology.
- June 2018Protecting Artificial Intelligence Innovations Through Patents, IP Litigator
- 2016"Hot Topics: Issues and Directions in Artificial-Intelligence Created Intellectual Property," contributor to digital textbook and course, sponsored by the Intellectual Property Owners (IPO) Education Foundation.
- March 2015101 IPO Comments on the USPTO's 2014 Interim Guidelines on Patent Subject Matter Eligibility
- December 2013/January 2014Anti-Troll Litigation Reform: A Patent Litigator's Guide to 2013 Congressional Bills, NYIPLA Bulletin
- April 2012The America Invents Act - Provisions of Interest to Litigators, NYIPLA Bulletin, February/March 2012
- January 2012The Advantages of Extracting Value from Non-Core Intellectual Property
- November 15, 2018National Lawyers Convention of the Federalist Society, 2018, panel presentation on “Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Innovation: Navigating the Technology World of the Near Future”, with USPTO Director Andrei Iancu
- June 2017Big Data and Cloud Computing: Strategies for Patent and Trade Secret Protection
- September 11-13, 201644th Annual Meeting of the Intellectual Property Owners Association, Moderator and speaker at session entitled: "Artificial Intelligence-Created Intellectual Property: Issues and Future Directions", with panel member from IBM.
- June 9, 2016"Artificial Intelligence Intellectual Property: Players, Issues, and Strategic Considerations," presented as an invited Special Speech at the 6th International IP & Industrial Security Conference, hosted by the Financial News and Korean Intellectual Property Office, Korea Intellectual Property Protection Agency, and the Presidential Council on Intellectual Property
- March 15, 2016Patent Bar & Office Dialog Summit, organized by the Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation; Organization and Program Committee
- January 2016Intellectual Property Enforcement, Discovery & Privilege Issues in the U.S.
- September 29, 2015IPO 43rd Annual Meeting, "Utility and Patent Eligibility Standards," plenary session
- September 8, 2014IPO 42nd Annual Meeting, "Implementation of Section 101"
- April 2014U.S. Patent Litigation Guide and Overview of Standard Essential Patents
- March 20, 20142014 Penn Intellectual Property Symposium, "Patent Law: The New, The Disruptive & The Debate," with Judge Lourie
- November 2013Post-Grant Proceedings and New Developments in the U.S. a Year After the 2011 Patent Law (AIA)
- September 20, 2013Recent Developments and Uncertainties in the Law on Patent Eligible Subject Matter AIPPI
- September 11, 2013Korean In-House Counsel Forum
- September 25, 2012Recent Changes in U.S. Patent Law, and Issues of Patent Eligibility, National Cancer Center and Korea Drug Research Association
- September 20, 2012AIPPI Seminar
- New York Law School (J.D. magna cum laude 1997); State University of New York at Stony Brook (Postdoctoral research, Computer Science Department, 1991-1992); University of California, Santa Barbara (Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering 1991; M.S. in Electrical Engineering 1988); Technical University, Sofia, Bulgaria (B.S. in Electrical Engineering with highest honors 1984)
- New York, U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Federal Circuits, U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and Eastern District of Texas, and registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Bulgarian, German, Russian, and Spanish and intermediate Japanese