Marty Schmelkin served as an in-house employment counsel for 15 years at a leading global financial institution, providing him with a practical and business-oriented perspective that he brings to the practice. Marty represents employers in all aspects of employment law, advising on litigation strategy, leading workplace training programs, coordinating the implementation of policies and programs across multiple global jurisdictions, and counseling on recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotions, as well as disciplinary and termination activity. Marty understands the legal and business challenges facing employers and has a particular in-depth experience with financial services firms, including investment banks, hedge funds, private equity firms, and asset managers. He counsels financial services firms on employment related FINRA arbitrations and regulatory filings.
Marty has worked extensively in the area of corporate diversity and regularly advises employers on their implementation of U.S. and global diversity policies and programs. He also has broad experience with the obligations of federal contractors including the preparation of affirmative action plans and responses to OFCCP and related regulatory audits.
Prior to joining Jones Day, Marty worked for 15 years in the legal department of Goldman Sachs, where he was a managing director and associate general counsel in the employment law group. While there he spent time in the firm's Hong Kong office covering employment law matters throughout Asia and also had responsibility for employment law in non-U.S. offices in the Americas. Marty is a member of the board of the Cornell University School of Industrial & Labor Relations (ILR) Alumni Association.
Safran completes €8.7 billion agreed tender offer targeting Zodiac Aerospace's shares creating global leader in aircraft equipment
Jones Day represented Safran in connection with its €8.7 billion agreed tender offer targeting Zodiac Aerospace's shares to create a global leader in aircraft equipment.
Goode Partners invests in Silver Diner
Jones Day advised Goode Partners LLC in connection with its investment in Silver Diner, Inc., operator of the successful Silver Diner, Silver Diner Airport, and Silver restaurants that bring an innovative menu to the classic American diner.
NYC Commission on Human Rights Reports 60% Increase in Discrimination Complaints in 2016; Highlights 'Revitalized' Tester Program and Focus on Fair Chance Act, Labor & Employment N.Y. (LENY)
- May 2018"Me Too" Movement Triggers Legislation in New York State and City
- June 2017Avoid the Pitfalls of NYC Freelancer Law
- May 2017Mayor de Blasio Signs NYC Ban on Salary Inquiries
- April 2017NYC Commission on Human Rights Reports 60% Increase in Discrimination Complaints in 2016; Highlights 'Revitalized' Tester Program and Focus on Fair Chance Act, Labor & Employment N.Y. (LENY)
- April 2017NYC Poised to Ban Salary History Inquiries, Labor & Employment N.Y. (LENY)
- February 2017NYC Council to Consider Flexible Scheduling Legislation, Labor & Employment NY (LENY)
- January 2017Governor Cuomo Signs Executive Orders Concerning Salary Issues, Labor & Employment N.Y. (LENY)
- January 2017Prepare Now for NYC Freelancer Law, Labor & Employment N.Y. (LENY)
- October 2016Asia-Pacific Labor & Employment News
- October 25, 2017Traps for the Unwary: The Latest Challenges for Corporate Compensation Practices, 2nd New York Labor & Employment Law Discussion Group
Speaking Engagements Prior to Jones Day
Jones Day Labor & Employment Law Seminar, "Avoiding Privilege, Ethics and Privacy Pitfalls in Workplace Investigations"
Practicing Law Institute (PLI) – International Employment Law, "Ethical Issues Encountered in Cross-Border Investigations"
NYU School of Law 67th Annual Conference on Labor, "The Future of Affirmative Action" and "Arbitration and Alternatives", Morning Session Moderator
Association of Corporate Counsel – Doing Business Globally, "Managing Employees in a Global Market"
International Bar Association, "The New Style Employee – Legal & Cultural Issues"
Practicing Law Institute (PLI) 40th Annual Institute on Employment Law, "Misclassification of Employees: An In-House Perspective"
Practicing Law Institute (PLI) 38th Annual Institute on Employment Law, "Employee Selection and the New Social Media"
New York State Bar Association, Employment Law Fall Meeting, "Changing Labor and Employment Laws in China and Japan"
NYU Law School 61st Annual Conference on Labor, Global Labor and Employment Law for the Practicing Lawyer, "Designing Global Benefits and Employment Policies for the Multinational Enterprise"
NYU Law School Center for Labor and Employment Law, Doing Business in China: The Labor & Employment Law Story, "The New China Labor and Employment Law: A Practical Perspective"
XBHR Washington Conference, "The New Global Era of Diversity, Discrimination and Harassment Standards"
- New York University (J.D. 1994); Cornell University (B.S. in Industrial and Labor Relations [ILR] 1991)
- New York
- Legal Clerk, White House Office of the Counsel to the President (Summer 1992) and Research Assistant, White House Office of Policy Development (Spring 1990), Administration of President George H. W. Bush