Ignacio Santabaya has more than 15 years of experience representing clients on national and international arbitration and before the Spanish civil courts. His practice also includes contentious administrative and insolvency proceedings.
Ignacio has acted in disputes arising from commercial matters, product liability, agency agreements, construction contracts, and environmental matters, among other areas. He has worked for companies in a range of sectors, such as energy, food, tobacco, media, pharmaceuticals, toys, construction, financial services, and private security.
In investment arbitration, Ignacio was part of the team that represented Consorcio de Aguas Bilbao Bizkaia and Urbaser in a case against Argentina related to a water concession, and he is currently involved in a case against Ecuador regarding an LNG maritime terminal.
His recent commercial arbitration experience includes representing the Panamanian subsidiary of a Spanish group in relation to the construction of a hydroelectric project, a major Spanish company in two proceedings involving energy projects in Greece, a German steel manufacturer in a case related to the supply of steel in a joint venture, and a Spanish builder in a case regarding hydroelectric plants in Turkey.
Ignacio teaches advocacy at IE University and has lectured in the programs of other institutions. He is a member of the Spanish Arbitration Club (Club Español del Arbitraje).
In 2016, Ignacio participated in the book Anuario Contencioso para Abogados with an article about the extension of the arbitral clause to non-signatories belonging to the same group. He also participated in the 2010 and 2012 editions of the book.
Urbaser arbitrates issue of water concession in Buenos Aires against Republic of Argentina
Jones Day is advising Urbaser, S.A. (filial of the ACS Group) and Consorcio de Aguas Bilbao Bizkaia (CABB) in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Argentina in relation to a water concession in Buenos Aires.
Hilton Hotels advised on bankruptcy proceedings of Hilton Valencia owner
Jones Day advised Hilton Hotel Corp. in connection with the bankruptcy proceedings relating to the owner of the Hotel Hilton Valencia Palacio de Congresos in Valencia, Spain.
Be Sued or Be Fined: European Commission Proposes Consumer Protections Expanding Class Actions and Enforcement Powers
- June 20182018 Arbitration Yearbook. Chapter 12: Effectiveness of the price agreement for the independent expert: legal nature of the expert's performance and possibility and scope of the review of the expert's work by the courts
- June 2012El contrato de gestión de establecimiento hotelero: diferencias con las figuras del administrador de hecho y del apoderado general de la sociedad, 2012 Practica Contenciosa para Abogados
- November 2011El arbitraje societario en la reforma de la Ley de Arbitraje, diariojuridico.com
- May 2010La demora en la entrega de viviendas: consignación de fechas de entrega meramente indicativas, relevancia jurídica de la quiebra de la constructora y cuantificación de los daños indemnizables, Anuario Contencioso para Abogados
- September 24 & 25, 2016The Many Faces of the Parties in International Arbitration, Organized by CEA -40 and ASA Below 40
- Universidad de Complutense Madrid (Law Degree 2001); Instituto de Estudios Bursátiles (IEB) (Master's in Financial Markets 2001)
- Best Lawyers® (2017-2019) — arbitration and mediation
- English, Spanish