Astrid Spain has nearly 20 years of experience in global patent portfolio design and implementation, management, and enforcement in the life sciences, particularly in the areas of diagnostics, sequencing, antibody therapeutics, and liquid biopsy-related technologies. She frequently leads due diligences for transactions and financings involving life sciences companies and venture capital firms. Astrid's experience also includes inter partes review (IPR) proceedings.
Astrid has represented companies in many sectors of the life sciences and biotechnology industries, including start-up ventures and Fortune 500 companies. She frequently assists clients with the development and implementation of streamlined and business-oriented intellectual property strategies. She focuses on shaping of patent portfolios that achieve offensive and defensive goals in view of competitive technologies and life cycle management. Astrid has significant experience in the preparation and prosecution of U.S. patent applications as well as the management of corresponding foreign proceedings. Her practice also includes the preparation of numerous validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate opinions on life sciences and biotechnology patents. A portion of Astrid's practice is devoted to patent litigation, and her litigation experience includes participation in a lengthy jury trial involving recombinant DNA technology.
Astrid has been honored by the Daily Journal as one of California's Top 100 intellectual property attorneys as well as one of California's Top 25 portfolio managers. She is a frequent presenter at industry conferences on topics related to life sciences, pharmaceuticals, and portfolio management. She also frequently comments and publishes on topics related to intellectual property law and has coauthored scientific publications in several peer-reviewed journals.
- September 2009Patenting Biotechnology Inventions will Become More Challenging, BioPharm International, Vol. 22, Issue 9
- March 7, 2008Innogenetics Court Likens Royalty Award to License, IP Law 360
- June 2006Perspective Lost: Alleviating the Patent Office’s Backlog at the Expense of Innovation, IP & Technology Law Journal, Vol. 18, No. 6
- May 2005Rochester Decision Exacerbates the Written Description Threat to Biotechnology Inventions, IP Litigator
- January 15, 20142013 Patent Law Year in Review (and a Look Ahead at 2014)
- January 16, 20132012 Patent Law Year in Review - and a Look Ahead at 2013
- April 25, 2012Patent Strategies in the Aftermath of the Supreme Court's Decision in Mayo v. Prometheus
- June 2009Emerging trends in IP Valuation and Risk Analysis
- March 2009Patent Law Year in Review
- June 2008Leveraging Intellectual Property to Accelerate Product & Technology Development
- October 2007Leveraging Intellectual Property to Accelerate Product & Technology Development
- January 2007Strafford Strategies for Patent Claim Construction, Live Interactive Teleconference
- March 2003Strategic Research Institute- First International siRNA Conference
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D. 1997; Note & Comment Editor, Law Review; Finalist, Scott Moot Court Competition); University of California, Los Angeles (M.A. in Cellular, Molecular and Developmental Biology 1993); University of California, Riverside (B.S. 1990)
- California, District of Columbia, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, and registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
"Top IP Attorneys in California," Daily Journal (2017-2018)
"Top 25 IP Portfolio Managers in California," Daily Journal (2013-2015)