Paul Lettow provides strategic planning and regulatory compliance advice to those seeking to navigate the complex U.S. regulations that impact domestic and international industries. He advises clients on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA), and numerous other regulatory issues. Paul's litigation experience includes matters before the U.S. Supreme Court, federal district courts, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the Delaware Court of Chancery. He also represents corporate and individual clients in investigations, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations.
Prior to joining Jones Day, Paul served as the senior director for strategic planning on the National Security Council staff at The White House from 2007 to 2009. In that position, he helped establish and coordinated the interagency National Security Policy Planning Committee and prepared presidential policy directives. He received an NSC award for outstanding performance. Previously, Paul was senior advisor to the under secretary of state for global affairs from 2006 to 2007.
Paul is the author of Ronald Reagan and His Quest to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (New York: Random House, 2005) and Strengthening the Nuclear Nonproliferation Regime (New York: Council on Foreign Relations, 2010) and the coauthor, with Elbridge Colby, of the Foreign Policy magazine cover story, "Have We Hit Peak America? The Sources of U.S. Power and the Path to National Renaissance." Paul has appeared on numerous television and radio programs.
Nordson acquires Kreyenborg Group's polymer processing companies
Jones Day advised Nordson Corporation in its acquisition of Kreyenborg GmbH and BKG Bruckmann & Kreyenborg Granuliertechnik GmbH companies.
R.J. Reynolds successfully challenges constitutionality of graphic cigarette warning labels
On August 24, 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit affirmed a District Court ruling in favor of Jones Day client R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's proposed graphic warning labels on cigarette packs are unconstitutional.
- May 2018CFIUS Reform Legislation Update
- May 2018DOT Moves Forward on Drone Integration
- March 2018FAA Increasing Access to Automated Airspace Approval for Drone Operators
- March 2018President Trump Announces Steep Tariffs on Imports of Steel and Aluminum
- March 2018Presidential Proclamations Impose Tariffs on Aluminum and Steel Imports
- February 2018CFIUS: Evolution Yields to Revolution
- November 2016Energy and Environmental Ramifications of the Trump Election
- June 17, 2009Financial Regulatory Reform: Administration White Paper Advocates Increased Supervision and Regulation of Financial Firms, Markets, and Products
- Harvard University (J.D. 2005); Oxford University (D.Phil. in International Relations 2003); Princeton University (A.B. in History summa cum laude 1999; Phi Beta Kappa)
- District of Columbia
- Senior Director for Strategic Planning, National Security Council staff, The White House (2007-2009); Senior Advisor to the Under Secretary for Global Affairs, U.S. Department of State (2006-2007)
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Danny J. Boggs, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (2005-2006)