John Kinton is a 20-year trial lawyer who focuses on complex, cross-border intellectual property and technology disputes. As a U.S. lawyer and a UK solicitor, John represents clients in patent infringement proceedings, trade secret misappropriation cases, and technology litigation around the globe. He has handled cases in U.S. District Courts, California state courts, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), USPTO Patent Trademark and Appeal Board (PTAB), as well as courts in the United Kingdom, Germany, Norway, Canada, and Brazil.
John recently represented Qualcomm in a lawsuit asserting trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract claims against Apple. In April 2019, Qualcomm and Apple reached a global settlement that included payment by Apple to Qualcomm, a six-year license agreement with a two-year option to extend, and a multiyear chipset supply agreement.
In 2016, John was a member of the trial team that achieved the record-breaking $2.54 billion damages verdict for Idenix Pharmaceuticals (a subsidiary of Merck & Co.) in its lawsuit against Gilead Sciences for infringement of an Idenix patent related to the treatment of patients with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection.
John has experience with a wide range of technologies, including telecommunication systems, computer software, computer hardware, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, semiconductors, aircraft seating systems, and water treatment systems. He also has handled cases involving standards organizations, including patents related to the 3GPP, CDMA, h.264, MPEG, JPEG, and JEDEC standards.
Representative clients include Agilent, CareFusion, General Electric, Hoist Fitness Systems, Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Kodak, Kyocera, Lexar, Merck, Micron, Motorola, Qualcomm, and Virgin Atlantic Airways.
- June 2019Artificial Intelligence: Emerging Issues and Strategic IP Protection
- January 20, 2016Recent Developments in IP Law and Their Implications
- June 2013Federal Circuit Update: Significant Patent Cases in the First Half of 2013
- August 7, 2012A New World (Patent) Order - How the U.S. Patent Reform Act (AIA) Compares with European Patent Regulations, Jones Day IP Roundtable
- Saint Louis University (J.D. 1998; Law Journal); Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering 1992)
- California; U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Federal Circuits; U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California and Eastern District of Texas; and Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
"IP Star in California," Managing Intellectual Property (2013-2019)
Selected to Super Lawyers for IP litigation (2015-2019)
Named San Diego Top Attorney for three years in a row by The Daily Transcript