David Kopans represents health care providers (HCPs), insurers, and other third parties with managed care contracting and transactional and regulatory matters. He also represents accountable care organizations (ACOs) and similar provider networks in clinical integration matters and participation in value-based payment arrangements and government programs such as the Medicare Shared Savings Program.
David's experience specifically includes managed care contracting; the formation and acquisitions of insurers and provider-based plans; insurer, TPA (third party administrator), PBM (pharmacy benefit manager), and provider network licensure and registration; preparation of evidence of coverage and other insurance form filings; insurance regulatory filings; negotiation and preparation of services agreements with and on behalf of insurers, TPAs, PBMs, and other vendors; and the development of, and contracting for, clinically integrated networks, ACOs, and various Medicare initiatives and programs.
David also advises clients in the health care and life sciences industries on a variety of matters related to health information privacy and security compliance under state and federal laws (including HIPAA). David's clients include HCPs, insurers and other payers, life sciences companies, and digital health and telehealth companies offering mobile applications, online solutions, and data analytics. David regularly reviews data privacy and security matters as part of M&A transactions in the health care, insurance, and life sciences industries.
David is chair of the Columbus Office's Diversity, Inclusion & Advancement Committee. He is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, where he has served on the AHLA's Young Professional Council and as an e-alert editor for the Payors, Plans, and Managed Care group.
- August 2015The Uncertain Future of Stop Loss Insurance in an Increasingly Self-Insured Small Group Market, AHLA Connections, Vol. 19, Issue 8 (Aug. 2015).
- June 2015CMS Okays New Payments for Chronic Care Management, coauthor, Managed Healthcare Executive
- February 2015Private Payors and Other Perspectives on ACOs, coauthor, AHLA Accountable Care Organization Handbook, 2nd Ed.
Publications Prior To Jones Day
Third Party Premium Payments: Agency Memos, Rules, Litigation, and More Uncertainty, coauthor, Payers Plans & Managed Care, American Health Lawyers Association
Is Federal Regulation the Greatest Obstacle Facing Narrow Network Exchange Plans? Health Lawyers Weekly, Vo. XII, Issue 10
Highmark Buy Continues National Insurer Trend, coauthor, Managed Healthcare Executive
Lessons from Fox Insurance's Multitude of Mistakes, Law360
Hospital-Law Enforcement Cooperation in the Emergency Department, Hospitals and Health Systems Rx, American Health Lawyers Association
Prescription Drug Importation: A Casualty of Health Care Reform, Life Sciences, American Health Lawyers Association
Campaign ‘08 and the Obama Administration’s Rejuvenation of Stem Cell Research, coauthor, Life Sciences, American Health Lawyers Association
- December 4, 2018Jones Day CLE Academy: Year-End Review: The Latest Trends and Issues in Health Care
- November 12, 2018Fundamentals of Commercial Health Insurance and Managed Care Arrangements, Fundamentals of Health Law, American Health Lawyers Association
- November 2, 2018Sharing and Using Patient Data in Payer-Provider and Other Network Arrangements: Major Legal and Contractual Considerations, Institute for Health Plan Counsel, American Health Lawyers Association
- October 23, 20182018 Advanced Payment Summit - "A Legal Perspective"
- December 7, 2017Jones Day CLE Academy: Innovative Uses of Technology in an Era of Health Care Reform
- November 7, 2017Fundamentals of Commercial Health Insurance and Managed Care Arrangements, Fundamentals of Health Law, American Health Lawyers Association
- October 28, 2016Planning the Transition - Starting Your Next Generation ACO, Health Education Associates' Next Generation & Advanced Risk Medicare ACO Summit
- June 22, 2016Overview of Wellness Programs and the New EEOC Rules
- October 27, 2015The New Era of Discrimination Law for Health Insurance under the Affordable Care Act, Institute for Health Plan Counsel, American Health Lawyers Association
- February 19, 2015Key Health Law Issues for Non-Healthcare Lawyers, Live CLE, Ohio State Bar Association
- February 11, 2015Key Health Law Issues for Non-Healthcare Lawyers, Ohio State Bar Association (Webcast)
Speaking Engagements Prior to Jones Day
April 9, 2014
Understanding Your State’s Essential Health Benefits: A Systematic Approach, panelist, AHLA Institute for Health Plan Counsel
- Villanova University (J.D. cum laude 2008); The Ohio State University (M.A. 2004); Bowling Green State University (B.A. summa cum laude 2002)
- Ohio Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2017 and 2018)