Katie Higgins has substantial experience acting for financial institutions, corporates, funds, and insolvency practitioners across a range of debt financing transactions. In these representations, she focuses on debt restructurings, workouts, and insolvency-related matters. Katie's practice covers a diverse range of areas, including retail, energy and resources, property, projects, and infrastructure and includes assignments acting for listed companies, financial institutions, and government agencies on restructuring arrangements, insolvency matters, cross-border transactions, property and structured financings, and project and acquisition financings.
Katie's recent experience includes acting for the administrators of Austradia Pty Ltd, the Australian franchisee of Topshop/Topman; advising the administrators of Payless Shoes; advising Insurance Commission of Western Australia on matters arising from the $1.8bn settlement reached between the Bell Group and its banking syndicates; advising on Australian law aspects in connection with the chapter 11 restructuring of Peabody Energy; and advising one of the world's largest utility companies on Australian-related aspects of its various international investments.
Prior to joining Jones Day in 2016, Katie acted on a range of restructuring and insolvency matters for Australian banking syndicates and secondary lenders, including in relation to various public-private partnerships such as the Bonnyrigg Social Housing PPP and in relation to exposures to interests associated with the Patinack Farm and Reed Construction corporate groups.
Katie is a member of Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA) and INSOL International. She also has lectured on debt financing as part of the master of law course at the University of Sydney.
Judicial Guidance about "Perfection by Possession" under Australia's Personal Property Securities Act
- March 2018ASX Releases Continuous Disclosure Guidance on the Insolvent Trading Safe Harbour
- September 2017Australian Court of Appeal Approves Use of "Holding" Deed of Company Arrangement
- September 2017Judicial Guidance about "Perfection by Possession" under Australia's Personal Property Securities Act
- May 2016Corporate and Business Rescue in Australia: Insolvency Law Reform Process Continues as Government Releases Proposals Paper
- University of Sydney (LL.B. Hons. 1 2000; B.A. 1998)
- Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia